While it is virtually impossible to stop the process of aging, there are time-tested home remedies that can ensure you retain a youthful glow on your skin. With the current celebrity-craze to look young, many methods have been popularized.
Botox treatment is perhaps the most popular of them all. But what happens to those who do not have enough money, or do not wish to undergo such treatments?
The beauty of this is that nature has provided you a number of home remedies that are perfect to get back that flawless skin.
Most of these natural remedies incorporate the use of vitamins and anti-oxidants to restore the skin’s glow. Interestingly, these are the very same ingredients that you will find in manufactured products at the beauty counter.
More often than not, these beauty products have a high price to match. Do not fret, however, if this sounds out of reach. In this post, you will find several affordable home remedies to keep your skin health and supple. Add to this a healthy eating routine, and active lifestyle and drinking a lot of water and you have yourself the secret to glowing skin.
1. Honey and Almond Facial Scrub:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: 5 almond nuts, and 1 teaspoon of honey.
Almonds are an important ingredient in most skin care products as they are effective lightening agents. These nuts are rich in Vitamin E which has been shown to shield the skin’s collagen and elastin proteins from damage. This is important because the two types of proteins are key for youthful skin. Honey on the other hand, is an all-natural ingredient that is described as a humectant.
This simply means that when applied on the skin, it retains moisture on the skin, thus preventing it from drying up. Dehydrated skin is the last thing you need to battle when looking to maintain glowing skin, which is where the honey comes in handy. The synergistic action of these two ingredients makes this home-made facial scrub one of the best home remedies for glowing skin.
- Blend the almonds to create coarse particles of the nuts.
- Add honey to the ground almonds and mix it up well to create an even paste.
- Rub this paste on your face, cover with a hot face towel and let it stay for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse off the paste with warm water. Do this once daily for best results.
2. Bath Soak:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Honey and 1 cup of water.
The benefits of honey have been mentioned above, but it is also important to add the fact that honey has a high concentration of antioxidants. Antioxidants are integral in repairing the skin as they protect the skin’s cells from damage by free radicals that occur in the environment. Another benefit of this bath soak is that it hydrates the whole body, not just the face. Go ahead and indulge in this relaxing bath soak.
- Add two heaped teaspoons of raw natural honey to a cup and add hot water.
- Stir the mixture to dissolve the honey, and add to a tub of warm bath water.
- Soak in this for about 20 minutes before rinsing off. Done thrice a week, this is an amazing way to retain your skin’s glow.
3. Cucumber and Curd Pack:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Cucumber and curd
Cucumber is one of the most popular remedies for retaining youthful skin. Its cool soothing properties help get rid of puffiness, thus keeping the skin firm and healthy. Curd on the other hand, has a high concentration of lactic acid whose low pH makes it an effective natural remedy in facial exfoliation.This contributes to the removal of dead cells on the skin, creating fresh invigorated skin. When combined, the two kitchen ingredients are a powerful home remedy for glowing skin.
- Wash and grate the cucumber in a small bowl.
- Add half a cup of the curd to two spoons of the grated cucumber and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to the skin, and allow to stay for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water. Use this home remedy thrice weekly for best results.
4. Egg Whites:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 egg
Egg white treatments have been used since time immemorial, and are a loved home remedy for skin improvement since they have high concentrations of protein and albumin. The skin is made of different types of protein, so including egg whites in your home remedy is a sure way to tone the skin. Albumin plays an integral role in eliminating wrinkles from your skin too.
If you have extremely oily skin, you will appreciate the egg white’s ability to firm big pores on the skin since these pores are responsible for the secretion of excessive sebum. In adequate amounts, sebum ensures the skin remains supple. In excessive amounts, however, sebum clogs skin pores, making it extremely hard to get that youthful glow.
- Crack one egg and eliminate the yolk to remain with the egg white only.
- Beat the egg white until it is foamy.
- Apply the frothy white on your face using a soft towel and allow to stay for 15 minutes.
- Get rid of the egg white mask by rinsing with warm water. You may need to remove any remaining parts of the mask using a wash cloth.
Used twice or thrice a week, egg whites are an excellent home remedy for great looking skin.
5. Apple Skin Polish:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Brown sugar, fresh apple sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon spice.
Apples are known for their great health benefits, so it comes as a little surprise that these delicious apples are a great home remedy for home remedies for great skin. Apples have a high concentration of Vitamins A and C (these play an important role in combating free radicals which damage the skin) and Potassium.
Malic acid present in the fruit also works as a great exfoliator in the removal of dead cells from the skin. The sugar granules aid in the process of exfoliation too. Cinnamon is another great skin remedy as it has been shown to improve collagen, the protein that is responsible for the skin’s firmness.
- Place the apple sauce in a bowl, before adding the granulated sugar and sprinkling cinnamon on it.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to get an even paste.
- In the comfort of your shower, dab the paste on your skin, massaging in gentle circular strokes. This is best done using a washcloth. Make sure you focus on rough regions that are usually ignored: shoulders, elbows, knees and heels.
- Allow the scrub to stay on for about 15 minutes before rinsing off. Slather your body with body lotion to moisturize the skin. This scrub can be done once or twice weekly for best results.
6. Papaya Home Remedy:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 small-sized papaya.
Papaya is a loved fruit across the world for its amazingly sweet taste. The fruit’s benefits on the skin can be traced back to the presence of papain, an enzyme that has been shown to be very effective in the digestion of proteins. The fruit is also rich in antioxidants such as carotenes, flavanoids and Vitamins B and C. When used on the skin, papaya pulp helps get rid of dead cells on the skin as well as ensure the skin stays moisturized.
- Boil water in a large pot, and as this is ongoing, blend the papaya to create a consistent paste.
- When the water has boiled, switch off the source of heat and move the pot to a spacious table so that you are able to carry out a steam session.
- Cover your face with a washcloth and steam your face carefully for about 10 minutes.
- Dab the papaya scrub on your face evenly in gentle motions, making sure you avoid the eyes.
- Let this mixture stay on the face for another 10 minutes before washing off the mixture.
For facials only, this remedy can be used thrice a week, For a full body scrub, the remedy can be used once or twice a week.
7. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Organic apple cider vinegar.
Organic apple cider vinegar is an amazing home remedy that exfoliates your skin by eliminating dead cells and rejuvenating your skin when used externally. The apple cider helps the skin find a delicate balance between too oily and too dry. The other way to use organic apple cider vinegar is to drink it throughout the day.
- For external use, the vinegar is dabbed onto some wool and then applied to the skin. Allow the vinegar to dry for ten minutes before rinsing with cool water.
NB: It is important to ascertain that you are not allergic to vinegar by carrying out a small patch test.
- For internal use, simply add two teaspoons of the vinegar to your drinking water and sip on it throughout the day. The recommended ratio for this is 2 teaspoons for 16 oz of water. Again, it is important to take this cautiously to prevent any adverse reactions to the vinegar’s acidic properties.
8. Aloe Vera:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Aloe vera leaf
Aloe Vera, aptly referred to as the ‘immortal plant’ has long been used in the manufacture of skin care products. The benefits of Aloe can be attributed to the plant’s ability to soothe the skin and retain moisturization, therefore retaining its natural glow.
- Cut off the Aloe Vera leaf, squeeze the gooey gel-like substance and apply it on your skin.
- Let the skin dry before rinsing off with warm water.
The above home remedies offer a practical, and more importantly, an affordable way to take care of your skin. Most of the aforementioned products are those that you can get straight from your kitchen cabinet. What better way to retain younger-looking skin than to use easy-to-get products?
Looking after your skin is not so hard after all. With minimal side effects, these remedies are the secret to clear glowing skin. Go ahead and sample these remedies.