Wrinkles are folds of the skin that form in areas which are predisposed to the sun’s rays. These areas include the face (which is the most common), the neck, the hands and the top region of the forearms.
There are two types of wrinkles: Fine lines that occur on the skin and deep-set furrows.
There are several causative agents for wrinkles that include continuous exposure to the sun’s UV rays, lifestyle habits such as smoking and the kind of skin that an individual has.
Other factors include living in a polluted environment, improper skin care techniques and poor diet. It is also important to make mention that for some individuals, wrinkle formation is attributed to a hereditary trait that predisposes families and generations to wrinkling.
When wrinkles form on the skin, this is because collagen, the protein complex present in the skin, starts to lose its elasticity. This results in saggy skin which then gives rise to the characteristic folding that comes with aging. While this is a natural process, the presence of lifestyle habits such as smoking hasten the process. The good news is that there are home remedies which you can use to slow down the process. These remedies are not only effective when used consistently, they are also quite affordable and easy to get. Below are some of the most useful remedies available for you.
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Slices of pineapple fruit.
Pineapple fruit is rich in Vitamin C which is an important ingredient for maintaining great skin. The presence of bromelain enzyme also helps with the natural treatment of wrinkles. Its anti-inflammatory properties help prevent the formation of saggy skin. The astringent properties of pineapple juice also aid in skin exfoliation, ensuring smooth wrinkle-free skin.
- Mash the slices of pineapple to get a consistent pulp.
- Apply this pulp on the skin, taking care to avoid contact with the eyes. Allow the mixture to sit on your face for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- The other alternative is to blend the pineapple slices to get pineapple juice. Use this juice to massage your face in slow circular motions. This is important because it ensures proper blood circulation to the face, removing wrinkles in the long run.
2. Egg White:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Egg white of one egg, one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, and one teaspoon of honey.
Eggs are a rich source of protein. Egg whites are a preferred home remedy because the rich concentration of proteins helps with skin repair. Potassium present in the egg white allows the skin to stay hydrated by retaining moisture which is an effective measure in preventing wrinkle formation. Egg whites contain an enzyme called lysozyme whose function is to destroy the cell walls of skin bacteria that cause breakouts.
Lemon juice on the other hand,is loved for its astringent properties that help get rid of skin bacteria. Honey is a natural antibacterial, so its action helps eliminate bacteria, thus making the skin less likely to get wrinkles. The mix of egg whites, lemon juice and honey helps to tighten the skin as well as tone it so that there is a natural glow to the skin. Make sure you incorporate this natural remedy in your weekly skin routine for wrinkle-free skin.
- Mix all three ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together to get an even mixture.
- Apply the paste-like substance on your face and other wrinkled areas and allow the mask to remain for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and pat your face dry before slathering a moisturizing lotion to keep the skin hydrated. This routine can be done twice weekly for best results.
3. Cucumber and Yogurt Face Mask:
Time Required: 1 Hr 30 Min
What You Need: Half cucumber, half a cup of yogurt (preferably natural yogurt), and mint leaves.
Cucumber has a rich concentration of Vitamins, Potassium, Zinc and Calcium. All of these elements help tighten and tone the skin, while retaining moisture. Natural yogurt has antibacterial properties that effectively eliminate skin bacteria. This hydrating combination prevents the skin from chapping and drying, and effectively gets rid of free radicals which have been shown to curb early formation of wrinkles. Mint offers a refreshing twist to this home remedy, making it a great addition to the blend.
- Chop the cucumber in thin cubes and blend to create a consistent puree.
- Add the yogurt to the puree before sprinkling mint leaves and refrigerating the mixture.
- After an hour, apply the cucumber-yogurt blend to your face, neck and forearms. Allow the blend to stay on for 20 minutes before washing off. This cool and natural mask is a wonderful addition to your regular skin care routine.
4. Aloe Vera:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Aloe Vera leaf.
Aloe vera has long been used as an important ingredient in skin care products, and for good reason. If, however, you would like to harness the benefits of this plant in getting rid of wrinkles, it is advisable to use the gel of a freshly cut leaf from the plant. The gel has a soothing and enriching effect on the skin, and this helps eliminate wrinkles.
In addition, the anti-inflammatory properties aid in skin-healing and wrinkle elimination in cases where the skin is subjected to sun burns. In case you need to have a constant supply of aloe vera leaves, it helps to grow the plant in your backyard. It is also very affordable because once cut, the point of contact of the leaves allow for the re-growth of another leaf.
- Cut the leaf from the Aloe Vera plant and squeeze the gel from the cut part.
- Apply the gel on the face, neck and hands, allowing the mixture to stay on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the gel with warm water and apply a moisturizing skin cream. The use of aloe vera gel can be inculcated in daily skin routine or as desired.
5. Banana Mask:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: One ripe banana and one teaspoon of orange juice.
Banana is a popular fruit, both for its availability and delicious energy-packed fruit. Did you know, however, that you can use banana to help get rid of wrinkles? This sweet fruit contains Vitamin A that aids in getting rid of dark spots on the skin, Vitamin B which prevents sagging of the skin as well as Potassium which ensures that the skin remains well-hydrated. Vitamin E in the banana is a well-known ingredient in fighting free radicals that speed up aging, and lead to the formation of wrinkles.
- Mash up the ripe banana until you have an even consistency.
- Add the teaspoon of orange juice to the blended banana to make it easier to mash.
- Apply the creamy banana mash on your face, leaving the yummy mask to stay on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water, and carry out this routine thrice weekly.
6. Different Oils:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Choice of between either coconut or olive oil.
Organic oils such as coconut and olive oil are known for their benefits to the skin, making them an effective home remedy in the elimination of wrinkles. Coconut oil for instance, is rich in antioxidants. These are compounds that help the body fight free radicals on the skin. Free radicals quicken aging, and make it easy to get wrinkles. By combating these free radicals, coconut oil becomes an effective home remedy in addressing wrinkle. What’s more, coconut oil is a moisturizing oil that also softens and hydrates the skin.
Olive oil is also a popular cosmetic ingredient, and has been used since ancient civilizations. Its high concentration of Vitamins A and E helps retain the structure of the skin. Like coconut oil, olive oil also contains antioxidants. Both oils are best used in their organic state to prevent the introduction of potential impurities.
- Take a teaspoon of either oil and apply on wrinkle-prone areas before bedtime. This allows the oil’s action to take effect as you rest, allowing you to wake up to radiant skin. This home remedy can be used daily.
Time Required: Varies depending on the food types
What You Need: Any of the following: almonds, tomatoes or blueberries.
The skin is the largest organ in the body, and is mainly made up of proteins. To maintain the skin in a healthy state, it is paramount that you feed on healthy foods. Superfoods are a special category in your dietary requirements for the simple reason that they are packed with antioxidants. As mentioned above, antioxidants are an effective way to deal with free radicals that lead to skin folding and early aging.
Almond nuts are full of good fats that ensure the skin remains hydrated. The presence of Vitamin E in these crunchy nuts makes the almonds a powerful antioxidant. Tomatoes on the other hand are full of Vitamin C and an important compound known as Lycopene. The latter helps shield the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays, in effect preventing wrinkles that arise from sun exposure. Blueberries are also full of antioxidants, and contain Vitamin C which has been shown to protect collagen, the most important protein in the skin’s structure.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Fresh Ginger and one tablespoon of honey.
Ginger is used as an effective home remedy against wrinkle formation as it has a high concentration of antioxidants. In addition, it aids in preventing the degradation of elastin, yet another critical protein in the skin.
- Chop up the fresh ginger in to small pieces and add the honey.
- Eat this concoction every morning for best results.
While these home remedies are a great solution for getting rid of wrinkles, they should not be used as a substitute for proper skin care. Avoiding continuous exposure to the sun, taking lots of water and taking a proper diet are all handy in eliminating wrinkles.
- Best Home Remedies For Bags Under Eye
- Best Home Remedies For Fine Lines Under Eye
- Best Home Remedies For Tightening Facial Skin