Wheezing refers to the difficulty in breathing that accompanies the accumulation of mucus in the bronchial tubes. Wheezing is one of the symptoms of an asthmatic attack, and often manifests as a whistling sound. The sound is produced as a result of the narrowed air passages, and is sometimes accompanied by persistent coughing.
Wheezing is quite uncomfortable, and depending on the underlying condition, may be life threatening. For this reason, affected individuals need to get medical checkup to ascertain the specific cause of wheezing. Once this has been dealt with,it is then possible to introduce the natural remedies used in the effective treatment of wheezing.
Having mentioned that wheezing is one of the symptoms of asthma, quite a number of remedies listed below will overlap with those recommended for the treatment of asthma. The advantage of these natural remedies is that they do not cause any side effects, and may also be used alongside prescribed medication provided they do not cause drug-drug interaction. To confirm the latter, you are advised to consult with your personal doctor and find out what remedies to avoid.
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Raw honey, clean piece of cloth, garlic cloves and raw ginger (optional).
Honey is an excellent remedy in the treatment of wheezing. As a natural healing agent, honey is packed with anti-inflammatory properties that prevent the inflammation of the airways. In addition, honey also has antibacterial properties that are effective in the elimination of the cough-causing bacteria. The dual action of honey goes a long way in managing wheezing and reducing the relevant triggers, thus easing the breathing process. Additional benefits of honey include its ability to boost your immunity so that wheezing subsides in a relatively shorter time.
There are two ways in which honey can be used to treat wheezing: through simply inhaling the aroma of natural raw honey as well as ingesting a teaspoon of honey thrice daily. The latter is best accompanied by the intake of juice made from fresh ginger and/or garlic. This is because the compounds present in the ginger and garlic work in synergy with honey to deliver a powerful punch and deal with wheezing.
- The first way to enjoy honey’s healing properties is to inhale the honey’s aroma as well as taking a teaspoon of the same at least twice daily.
- Prepare the garlic cloves be getting rid of the flaky layer.
- Using a pestle and mortar, grind the garlic to get minced garlic.
- Put the garlic in a separate bowl and place aside.
- Peel the ginger before cleaning well and chopping into small pieces.
- Place the chopped ginger on a clean piece of cloth and squeeze as hard as you can to extract the ginger juice in a cup.
- Take the bowl containing honey and sprinkle the minced garlic before adding the teaspoon of ginger juice.
- Mix the three ingredients evenly and take two tablespoons severally during the day to help alleviate wheezing.
2. Flax Seeds:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Flax seeds. Alternatively, you may use flax oil in place of the seeds.
Flax seeds constitute an effective remedy in the treatment of wheezing. The seeds contain compounds which are rich in anti-inflammatory properties, and these go a long way in preventing the inflammation of the bronchial airways. In addition to this, the seeds are also rich in omega 3 fats which have been shown to be effective in reducing the intensity of wheezing during an asthma attack. When taken on a regular basis, the seeds are known to reduce the regular occurrence of wheezing. There are two ways to use flax, and this will largely depend on whether you choose the oil or the seeds.
Using Flax Seeds:
- Take half a teaspoon of flax seeds and chew on them daily in order to decrease the recurrence of wheezing.
Using Flax Oil:
- Take a teaspoon of flax oil daily. This will go a long way in keeping the wheezing under control.
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 3 Garlic cloves, freshly squeezed lemon juice/ boiling cup of water (optional).
Garlic could easily be referred to as the ‘medicinal bulb’ if its diverse health benefits are anything to go by. When it comes to dealing with wheezing, the cloves’ antibacterial properties help reduce the development of coughs that result from bacterial infections. In addition to this, by eliminating the coughs, the garlic in turn reduces the accumulation of mucus in the airways. Taking garlic on a regular basis goes a long way in reducing the frequency of wheezing.
- Peel the garlic cloves to get rid of the flaky layers and to reveal the fleshy part.
- Clean the garlic cloves and proceed to chew on the cloves as they are.
- If you are bothered by garlic’s pungent smell, be sure to sip on some fresh lemon juice.
- For those who find the smell of garlic overpowering, it helps to develop garlic infusion by crushing the garlic cloves before steeping in a cup of boiling water.
- Take this garlic infusion twice daily to be able to keep the wheezing under control.
NOTE: In the absence of the fresh herbs, garlic capsules may be used. It is important, however, to understand that the capsules may not be as effective as the original herb.
4. Mustard Oil And Camphor:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Mustard oil (may be replaced with sesame oil), camphor and hot bath.
The combination of camphor and mustard oil works wonders for individuals struggling with wheezing. This is because the pungent aroma of mustard oil helps unclog the airways by causing the breakdown of mucus, thus providing great relief for affected individuals. The addition of camphor enhances the efficiency of the home remedy.
NOTE: It is important to note that this mixture MUST not be used internally as it is toxic, and is only intended for external use.
- Place a bowl containing the mustard oil in the hot bath to warm it.
- Sprinkle the camphor powder on the oil and mix well.
- Scoop some of the warm oil and apply it on your chest, neck and back.
- Massage the mixture well.
- Repeat this procedure severally until the wheezing is alleviated.
5. Lobelia Tea:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Dried leaves of the Lobelia herb, strainer, a tablespoon of honey and cup of boiling water .
Lobelia tea is one of the best natural treatments available for dealing with wheezing. The herb from which the tea is made contains compounds which help with nerve relaxation. In the context of wheezing, the tea relaxes the nerves found in the bronchial airways, in effect managing the rapidity with which the wheezing develops. It s very important for anyone who settles for this option to realize that the key to taking Lobelia tea for wheezing is to sip on it slowly. Gulping down the tea in copious amounts will only induce emesis (the act of vomiting).
- Take the leaves of the dried herb and sprinkle it in a cup of drinking water.
- Pour the cup of boiling water over the leaves and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Once the Lobelia tea is cooled and is comfortable to drink, sip on it slowly over a period of time.
- Use this remedy once daily on a regular basis to reduce the occurrence of wheezing.
NOTE: Due to the tea’s acrid taste, you may want to add a tablespoon of honey.
6. Increase Your Fish Intake:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Your fish of choice (some examples include sardines and mackerels).
Fish is an excellent choice in dealing with wheezing. This is because the fish contains omega 3 fatty acids. These fats are beneficial for the body, and in individuals who get wheezing bouts regularly, the omega-3 fatty acids strengthen the lungs and help eliminate irritants with ease. In fact, eating such fish just once daily shows tremendous improvements.
- Prepare the choice fish using your preferred recipe. Just make sure that the fish does not overcook as this distorts the structure, and therefore the efficiency of the fish.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A cup of black coffee.
Coffee’s main ingredient is caffeine, and what most people do not know is that caffeine has long been used to treat wheezing at home. This works because caffeine has the capacity enhance the dilation of the bronchial airways this easing the breathing process. When taken hot, the coffee creates a warming effect which provides relief after wheezing.
Note that coffee (particularly black coffee) is not ideal for young children. Adults on the other hand, can take two cups of coffee everyday. You are advised to avoid the addition of milk to your coffee as milk reverses caffeine’s benefits – milk is known to increase the production of mucus which only worsens the wheezing by obstructing breathing.
- Prepare a cup of coffee and drink while hot.
8. Turmeric Herb:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Turmeric powder, a glass of warm water and strainer.
Turmeric is a popular home remedy, best loved for its anti inflammatory properties. When taken to reduce wheezing, the turmeric reduces the inflammation of the airways. This is attributed to the presence of a compound known as curcumin. If you have regular wheezing bouts, it helps to take turmeric regularly over a long period of time.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to the glass containing warm water.
- Stir well before straining the mixture.
- Drink this mixture thrice daily until the wheezing reduces.
Other natural remedies available for the home treatment of wheezing include lemon juice which prevents the blockage of the bronchial airways, eucalyptus oil whose effects are almost instantaneous as well as cayenne pepper. The latter thins the mucus, which in turn opens up the passage ways and makes breathing easier. In addition to the use of these remedies, it helps to steer clear of irritants that trigger wheezing. These include strong smells, dusty places, certain foods as well as pollen and pet hair.