Vaginal odor is a common condition, and most women will have to address this problem severally throughout their lives. There are several causes of vaginal odor.
These range from the proliferation of bacteria in the vaginal area, fluctuations of hormonal levels during the menstrual cycle as well as STI (sexually transmitted infections). In some cases, the odor is the result of uncleanliness as well as different sexual practices such as is the case in oral and anal sex where there’s contact with the vagina.
Some of the symptoms that accompany this odor include an itching sensation in the area surrounding the vagina, redness and general irritation, especially when wearing underwear that is too tight. More importantly, in the case of a vaginal infection, affected women tend to exhibit a fishy smell. This causes great discomfort, and is particularly embarrassing. There are natural remedies that you can use to treat vaginal odor. It is vital, however, that you see a gynecologist if the odor is accompanied by severe symptoms, and does not clear after a week or so of using the remedies.
Time Required: 10 Min – 2 Hrs
What You Need: Natural yogurt. Tampon and warm water (optional).
Yogurt is one of the best home remedies for eliminating vaginal odor. This is because this dairy product is packed with lactobacillus bacteria which help treat yeast infection. One of the most common causes of vaginal odor, as mentioned above, is a yeast infection. When you take natural yogurt, you help your body fight off the infection and allow the vagina to resume its optimal pH levels, effectively clearing the smell.
There are two ways you may use yogurt as a natural remedy: the first is by drinking it daily while the second involves soaking a tampon in the yogurt and using it as you normally would during your monthly cycle. The first method is preferred for ladies who find the use of tampons unnerving, and is pretty simple to use on the go.
- Drink 2 cups of the plain yogurt twice daily, preferably in the morning and at bedtime for best results.
- The second way to use this remedy is to soak a tampon in the yogurt for a couple of minutes.
- Make sure your hands are clean before inserting the soaked tampon.
- Leave the tampon in for 2 hours. Once this time elapses, simply remove the tampon and proceed to rinse using warm water.
- Do this at least once daily until you are able to treat the odor.
2. Tea Tree Oil:
Time Required: 15 Min – 2 Hrs
What You Need: Tea tree oil, a dropper and warm water. You may opt to use the tea tree oil alongside olive oil and a tampon.
One of the simplest and most effective remedies for the treatment of vaginal odor is the use of tea tree oil. Praised for its excellent antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it is easy to see why this oil is recommended for getting rid of the fishy smell down there. A point of caution, however, is not to use the tea tree oil undiluted as this could cause further irritation to the skin surrounding the vagina. As far as its use is concerned, the oil may either be added to water for rinsing purposes or used to soak the tampon prior to insertion.
Preparing oil-water mixture to rinse:
- Place the warm water in a basin.
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix well.
- Use this mixture to rinse the vagina for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy at least thrice daily until the smell clears.
Soaking the tampon in the oil mixture:
- Place the olive oil in a shallow bowl, and proceed to add 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix the two well and soak the tampon in the mixture.
- Insert the tampon and allow it to remain in for 2 hours. ‘
- Rinse off the oil mixture.
- Use this remedy at least once daily for 10 days or until you successfully get rid of the odor.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 2 Cups of Apple cider vinegar and warm water in a tub.
Apple cider vinegar (abbreviated ACV) is used to fight vaginal odor naturally, thanks to its antibacterial properties. The ACV is also packed with antiseptic properties that assist with hygiene, therefore eliminating the smell in instances where poor hygiene is to blame. Other benefits of using ACV include its ability to get rid of toxins in the vaginal area as well as the restoration of its normal pH levels.
- Pour two cups of the ACV into the tub and run the warm water.
- Mix well and soak in this bath for some 15-20 minutes.
- Use this remedy at least once daily for best results.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with 1 glass of warm water and drink everyday until you treat the vaginal smell.
Time Required: 20 Min for ingestion, 1-2 Hrs for insertion.
What You Need: Raw garlic. Glass of warm water and a string (optional).
Garlic is a reliable natural remedy or the elimination of odor from the vagina, thanks to its natural healing properties. As a natural antibiotic, the garlic helps get rid of bacteria that are sometimes responsible for the production of the odor. In cases of candida infections, garlic’s anti-fungal properties help ward off the infection while restoring the vagina’s optimal conditions. There are two ways you get to use garlic depending on your preferences: the first is by incorporating garlic into your daily diet, and the second involves the insertion of the raw garlic clove into the vagina as indicated below.
- Simply make garlic a daily inclusion in your meals.
- For faster recovery, mince the raw garlic cloves and add to a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture on an empty stomach for the best results. If you are concerned about the garlicky smell, simply munch on a wedge of fresh lemon.
- Wash your hands prior to preparing garlic for this method of use.
- Peel and clean the garlic clove.
- Create a tiny hole at one end of the garlic; this is where the string will pass through.
- Loop the string through and tie a knot, gently but firmly to secure the clove in place as well as ease its retrieval.
- Insert the garlic clove into the vagina as you would a tampon so that the string hangs out.
- Leave the clove in place for 1-2 hours before removing it.
- Use this remedy at least once daily until the odor is no more.
5. Baking Soda:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Cup of baking soda, bath water in a tub and a clean towel.
Baking soda is used for the treatment of vaginal odor mainly because it plays a key role in restoring the vagina’s normal pH range. When this balance is upset, you are predisposed to odor development alongside the listed symptoms of the same. This remedy involves a warm bath soak as described below.
- Place the baking soda in the bath tub and run the water while mixing for even dissolution.
- Soak in the water for about half an hour for the healing effects to set in.
- Dry the vaginal area using a clean towel, and make sure you use this remedy at least once daily to fight off any infections and get rid of the smell.
6. Amla (Indian Gooseberry):
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Raw Indian Gooseberry.
Amla, known as Indian Gooseberry, is a natural detoxifier and therefore helps regulate the population of odor-causing bacteria in the vaginal area. Through this, the remedy helps ward off the smell. Other benefits of the fruit include the regulation of extremely thick discharge from the vagina.
- Simply add the amla fruit to your daily diet. In the absence of the fruits, you may use amla juice instead.
7. Guava Leaves:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: A handful of guava leaves and gallon of water.
Guava leaves are packed with antibacterial and antioxidant properties that compliment each other to effectively treat vaginal odor. In fact, the leaves have long been used as a natural remedy for a host of illnesses. as far as the reproductive cycle is concerned, the guava fruit helps treat the numerous disorders that accompany this natural phenomenon. For this remedy, however, you will need to use the leaves only.
- Sort and clean the guava leaves well.
- Transfer them to the pan containing the water and set to boil.
- Let the mixture boil until the remaining water is just about half of the original amount.
- At this point, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer and discard the leaves.
- Use the solution to rinse your vagina.
- Do this twice daily for faster recovery.
8. Turmeric Milk:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Glass of warm milk and 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
Turmeric is one of the most amazing herbs available in the kitchen. This herb is recommended for the removal of vaginal odor, thanks to its natural antibacterial properties that reduce the risk of bacterial infections. Since the latter are a major cause of the smell, taking turmeric provides an excellent way of eliminating the condition naturally. The addition of milk provides a perfect medium for ingesting the turmeric.
- Place the turmeric powder in the glass before pouring in the warm milk.
- Stir the mixture and drink it.
- Use this remedy twice daily until the infection is cleared and the odor eliminated.
9. Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Occurrence of Vaginal Odor:
In addition to the natural remedies listed above, there are also changes that you can effect or improve on in order to reduce the likelihood of vaginal odor. These include:
- Cleanliness is paramount, particularly at the time of menstruation as the exposure of blood to air causes the characteristic vaginal smell. More importantly, make sure that you do not forget to change your tampon regularly.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking adequate water is a golden rule as far as the prevention of many conditions is concerned. This is because the water eliminates toxins and helps reduce the bacterial populations that causes vaginal odor.
- Avoid processed and sugary foods as these tend to feed the yeast in cases where the vaginal smell originates from candida infections.
- After every sexual encounter, ensure that you clean the vagina well.
- Lastly, wear underwear made of cotton material to reduce sweating as well as allow the skin to breathe.