Wearing makeup is a great way to boost your confidence and enhance one’s beauty. Whether you are attending a wedding, a birthday party, a bridal shower or even the end of year office party, applying a little makeup will not hurt. a dash of blush here, a streak of eyeliner and a bold lip colour to top it up.
Makeup has the ability to transform any look from drab to glam. Interestingly, while many people are well versed with makeup application, quite a number of people tend to neglect its removal once the day (or night) is over.
Granted, this can be a very tiresome task, but one which is essential nonetheless. Sleeping with makeup ruins the skin because it clogs the pores and causes the accumulation of toxins over a period of time. This is why it is important to know not to get rid of makeup.
There are a number of makeup removal products in the market. These range from cleansers to wipes and general makeup removers. Ideally, these work because they are rich in surfactants which dissolve makeup particles. In addition, they are also rich in solubilizers whose function is to separate the oil and makeup from the skin. For the most part, these products are effective.
The challenge lies in the fact that after their use, very few people rinse off the face with water. What this means is that a good part of the residual mixture -after using the makeup removers- is left behind on the skin. The mixture easily irritates the skin, and can have a drying effect especially for those with sensitive skin. Add to this the fact that many of these products contain alcohol and it is easy to see how the toxic chemicals come into play.
There is also the aspect of preservative use seeing as these are commercial products for which a long shelf-life is necessary. The good news is that there are simple ways to get rid of makeup without using these harsh chemicals. Best of all, most of these methods are affordable and easy to access so there’s absolutely no reason for you to sleep with makeup on your face.
1. Oil Cleansing:
Oil cleansing is one of the most effective ways to remove makeup naturally. The use of these oils not only helps to cleanse the skin, it is also a perfect way to soothe the skin, especially in those with dry or sensitive skin. Another advantage of using oils to remove makeup is that they work naturally without stripping the skin of natural oils.
This is in sharp contrast with the use of commercial products that are often packed with alcohol – a well-known culprit in drying the skin. Lastly, oils remove just about every type of makeup – from foundation to mascara and eyeliner!
Under this category of oil cleansers, jojoba oil and Vitamin E works like magic. Jojoba oil has long been recommended in the skin care industry for the simple reason that its molecular structure is quite similar to that of the natural oil produced by the skin.
This natural oil, known as sebum, is responsible for keeping the skin moisturized. Additionally, jojoba oil also has excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin E on the other hand, is packed with antioxidants for smooth skin. This combination is easy to prepare and works for all skin types.
You may also use a combination of olive oil and witch hazel. Olive oil works as a great moisturizer for smooth flawless skin. Witch hazel is recommended for those with sensitive skin because it is a gentle and effective cleanser.
This combination works well in the removal of eye makeup, foundation and powders. Remember to exercise caution when removing eye makeup to prevent accidents and injuries.
NOTE: If you do not have essential oils, baby oil is an excellent alternative. Simply apply the oil on a ball of cotton wool and wipe off the makeup.
2. Baking Soda and Raw Honey:
Baking soda and raw honey are popular natural ingredients for skin care routines. Baking powder is known for its excellent exfoliating properties. Skin exfoliation is done with the aim of getting rid of dead skin and accumulated grime on the skin. It is for this reason that it is recommended for makeup removal.
Its exfoliation properties work with just about any type of makeup too! Add organic honey to this remover to ensure that the skin remains hydrated, soft and supple.
Here’s how to prepare this simple and Eco-Friendly makeup remover:
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to one tablespoon of raw organic honey.
- Add 3 drops of your preferred essential oil and mix well.
- You should have a coarse paste after mixing. Once this is done, apply the mixture on the skin using a warm washcloth.
- Dab in gentle circular motions until you have removed all the makeup.
- Remember to rinse the face and apply a skin moisturizer.
Milk is not just a great source of calcium that is required for strong bones and healthy teeth – it also has amazing benefits for the skin. Did you know that ancient stories told of Cleopatra bathing in milk? In those days, members of the royal family would soak in milk to get beautiful skin.
Some of milk’s benefits on the skin are attributed to the presence of fats and proteins that allow for skin hydration and improve the skin’s ability to retain moisture. What’s more, the amount of milk required for makeup removal is significantly cheaper that market-bought products. Milk may be used on its own or you may mix it with olive oil for makeup that’s hard to remove.
Here’s how to prepare this natural remover:
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a cup of whole milk.
- Mix the two well prior to application.
- Soak the cotton wool in the mixture and use it to wipe off eye makeup.
- Repeat this procedure to get rid of facial makeup using a fresh piece of cotton wool.
4. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil is a wonder ingredient for all your skin care needs. This is because the oil is rich in essential fatty acids whose small molecular size allows for easy absorption by the skin.
In addition to this, coconut oil is also packed with antimicrobial properties that make it a superb moisturizer. The ease of coconut oil application makes it ideal for removing makeup, and bonus points for its ability to get rid of waterproof makeup too!
To get the most of this natural product, follow the simple directions below:
- Take coconut pads and soak them in coconut oil for 30 seconds.
- Use the wet coconut pads to wipe makeup off.
- Alternatively, pour out a teaspoon of coconut oil on the palms of your hands and gently prub it on the skin.
- Proceed with your usual skin care routine once all the makeup is off.
Cucumber is well known for its skin brightening properties and ability to manage dark circles around the eye. But are you aware of the vegetable’s amazing benefits as far as makeup removal is concerned? This refreshing remedy is packed with water and nutrients that help lift off the makeup molecules.
In addition to this, cucumbers are also rich in anti-inflammatory properties which are great for soothing irritated skin and for managing skin that is prone to acne. Need a quick remedy to get rid of makeup? Look no further than this simple remedy.
Below are simple steps to make cucumber work for you:
- Clean the cucumber before use and chop it into small pieces.
- Blend the cucumber into a paste for easy application.
- You may add some milk or yogurt to improve its efficiency.
- Olive oil is also an excellent addition for its moisturization properties.
- Apply the paste to your face and massage in gentle motions until all the makeup comes off.
- Cleanse the face as usual and apply a moisturizer.
6. Homemade Makeup Removal Wipes:
If you love the sheer convenience of makeup removal wipes, but do not love the commercial ones available, you can always prepare your own homemade type using natural and easily available ingredients. This way, there is little need to worry about the chemicals and preservatives used in the store-bought ones.
The wipes include witch hazel extract which is known for its gentleness on the skin, lavender essential oil which smooths the skin and Vitamin E which improves the skin’s function. You also get to enjoy the goodness of aloe vera gel.
Below are the ingredients you will need for this alongside the simple preparation steps:
- an airtight jar
- a dozen round cotton pads used for application
- 1 teaspoon of oil (such as almond, jojoba or extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons of aloe vera (pure)
- 1 teaspoon of liquid castile soap
- 1 teaspoon of Vitamin e oil
- 6 teaspoons of witch hazel extract
- 10 drops of lavender or frankincense essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in the jar, save for the round cotton pads.
- Shake the mixture vigorously until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Next, place the cotton pads in the mixture and shake carefully to ensure that all the pads are well coated.
- When it is time to get your makeup off, simply take a cotton pad and dab it on the skin before cleansing well.
Other natural ways to remove makeup without using toxic chemicals include using a ripe avocado, steam therapy that helps dislodge makeup off and unclogs skin pores as well as baby oil. Remember to cleanse the face as usual once you have gotten the makeup off. Most of these remedies are easy to get from your pantry, so you shouldn’t be struggling to get off makeup anymore!