Aging is a natural process that everyone has to go through at some point. One of the key characteristics of aging, as expected, is the sagging of the skin. From a biological point of view, this occurs because the skin’s elasticity reduces significantly over a period of time.
The specific components of the skin responsible for this elasticity include elastin and collagen, both of which are protein in nature. Once this happens, the skin also loses its ability to remain moisturized for a period of time. This results in loose sagging skin. The effects of this process are more pronounced on the face, giving one a tired haggard look.
Aging is not the only factor that causes sagging facial skin. Others include over exposure to the sun’s UV rays, excessive use of alcohol and cigarettes, obesity as well as rapid weight loss in a short period of time. If you use the wrong skin care products, you are also at risk of developing sagging facial muscles. Sometimes this is accompanied by wrinkle formation and the appearance of fine lines on the face. The good news is that there are natural home remedies that you can use to tighten facial muscles. This approach is preferred because it is non-invasive, and is effective when used on a regular basis. The remedies indicated below are also simple and require easy-to-get ingredients for everyday use.
1. Stay Hydrated:
Time Required: Spread throughout the day.
What You Need: Adequate drinking water
Staying hydrated is one of the simplest ways you can ensure that your facial muscles remain taut, thus preventing the sagging of skin on the face. Drinking water is key simply because water helps retain your skin’s elasticity, thus firming it up. Drinking water also has the added advantage of reducing skin drying while flushing toxins which are sometimes associated with old-looking skin.
Find simple ways to integrate regular water intake in your daily schedule. Note that the amount of water taken will vary from one person to another based on different factors such as pre-existing conditions, age, occupation as well as whether one leads an active lifestyle or not.
NOTE: If you have a pre-existing condition that would be affected by regular water intake, make sure you consult with your doctor.
- Simply drink adequate water during the day. A simple tip to make this a habit is to place a water bottle on your desk/within reach so that you are constantly sipping water to stay hydrated.
2. Egg White:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 2 Eggs, funnel, warm water, and 1 tablespoon of natural yogurt (optional).
Eggs are not only nutritious for the body, they are also a great solution for tightening facial skin. For this remedy, you will need egg whites which you will get from the two egg. The whites are preferred as they are astringent in nature, and this causes the skin to come together and avoid sagging.
Additionally, eggs have healthy lipids that aid in the lifting of sagging skin and nourish the skin. Natural yogurt is a preferred addition because it is probiotic in nature and helps keep skin infections and breakouts at bay. By mixing the two ingredients, you are able to get the best natural solution to tighten facial muscles.
- Break the eggs (separately) into a bowl and proceed to pass the eggs through a funnel. This will separate the yolk from the white with minimal effort.
- Whisk the two egg whites until the eggs become foamy.
- Add the natural yogurt and whisk some more to mix well.
- Apply the egg mixture on your face, all the while massaging gently.
- Let the facial mask sit on the skin until it dries out.
- Rinse the skin well and remember to apply a moisturizing lotion to seal in the effects.
3. Aloe Vera Gel:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Aloe vera leaf, warm water, and cold water. You may add 1 teaspoon each of mayonnaise and raw honey.
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies for tightening facial skin. The presence of malic acid in the gel improves the structure of elastin and collagen, the two protein forms that are responsible for maintaining the skin’s elasticity. As a result, the gel helps the skin remain taut and eliminates sagging skin. Aloe vera also has moisturizing properties that prevent the skin from becoming dehydrated. You may add raw honey and mayonnaise to the gel. Mayonnaise helps smooth the skin while honey is a humectant that helps the skin retain moisture.
- Slice the aloe vera leaf at an angle and extract the oozing gel.
- Collect the gel in a bowl. If you opt to add mayonnaise and honey, this is the point at which you will do so.
- Sir the gel mixture before applying a generous amount on your face and neck area.
- Massage the gel using your fingertips and then allow to dry for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the gel mixture using warm water.
- Splash cold water on your skin in order to firm up the skin. Use this remedy once weekly to attain tight facial skin.
4. Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 3 Lemons, 1 cup of cold water, and skin moisturizer.
Lemon juice is a handy home remedy used for tightening facial skin, thanks to the high concentration of Vitamin C present. Vitamin C is known to enhance the production of collagen, which in turn helps restore the skin’s elasticity. In addition, lemon juice is astringent in nature, a factor that allows the skin to remain taut and eliminate wrinkles. Use cold water to splash on the skin for best results. Skin moisturizer is required to prevent the drying out effect of lemon juice after use. You must also avoid going out into direct sunlight immediately after using this remedy as lemon juice is known to cause skin lightening.
- Wash your face using mild soap and warm water before using this remedy.
- Roll the lemons between the palms of your hands to ensure maximum juice production.
- Use a manual juicer to extract the lemon juice.
- Take 1/2 a cup of the lemon juice and add it to a cup of cold water.
- Splash the mixture on your face and allow it to air-dry.
- Use this remedy four times weekly to eliminate sagging skin.
5. Fresh Cucumber:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: Fresh cucumber, a grinder, strainer, and cool water to rinse. Some of the optional additions for this remedy include natural yogurt, 1 egg white as well as 3 drops of Vitamin E oil.
Cucumber is one of the most effective home remedies for the prevention of loose sagging facial skin. This is because this succulent vegetable is packed with skin toning properties that freshen and rejuvenate the skin resulting in smooth glowing skin. You may add yogurt or 1 egg white whose benefits have been mentioned above, or incorporate Vitamin E oil into the mixture. Vitamin E is an excellent addition as it nourishes the skin. Prepare the remedy as follows.
- Wash the cucumber and cut into small pieces before grinding to get a paste-like substance.
- Pass the cucumber mash through a strainer in order to get the juice.
- Mix the optional additions at this point: the egg white, natural yogurt and vitamin E oil.
- Stir in the cucumber juice and mix well before use.
- Apply generous amounts of the cucumber mixture on the face and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Wash off the remedy using cool water. Use this mask at least once weekly.
6. Raw PawPaw and Rice Flour Face Mask:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Ripe pawpaw, 1/4 cup of rice flour, 2 tablespoons of honey, and warm water.
Prepare a face mask using ripe pawpaw and rice flour to tighten the facial muscles. Pawpaw is rich in Vitamin E, which as mentioned above, enhances the production of collagen and boosts the skin’s elasticity. Pawpaw is also rich in papain which goes a long way in reducing the sagging of loose skin on the face. If you struggle with skin conditions such as acne and eczema, pawpaw helps reduce the inflammation while tightening the face. Add rice flour for its ability to nourish the skin as well as create a medium for the paste. Follow the directions below to prepare this face mask.
- Take 1 ripe mashed pawpaw and mash it well until you have a coarse paste.
- Add the rice flour and mix well to get a consistent paste.
- Stir in the honey and mix well before applying on the face and neck.
- After 20 minutes, rinse off the mask using warm water.
7. Fuller’s Earth and Milk Face Mask:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: Fuller’s earth, fresh creamy milk, and warm water.
Fuller’s earth, sometimes referred to as multani mitti, is an excellent home remedy to use for tightening the facial muscles. Its ability to improve the skin’s elasticity, coupled with the way it stimulates blood circulation to the face makes it a perfect option. Fuller’s earth also helps keep the skin smooth and young. Add fresh creamy milk for its high concentration of proteins that enhance skin regeneration. The fats present in the cream also give the skin a unique glow that compliments the tight facial muscles.
- Take the fresh creamy milk and add 2 tablespoons of fuller’s earth to it.
- Blend this mixture well and then apply on the face and neck.
- Let the mixture dry for half an hour and use warm water to rinse it off.
8. Lemon and Olive Oil Face Mask:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 4 Tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, and warm water.
Prepare lemon and olive oil face mask to tighten your facial skin. Lemon juice not only boosts the skin’s production of collagen, it also cleanses the skin’s pores so that the skin is able to breathe. Olive oil on the other hand, is rich in antioxidants whose anti-aging properties help maintain the skin’s firmness. Olive oil also has the advantage of moisturizing the skin, making this mask an effective natural remedy.
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice well before applying on your face.
- Leave the mixture on the skin for 30 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Use this remedy thrice weekly until you are content with the progress made.
9. Fresh Strawberries:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 5 fresh strawberries, 1 tablespoon each of natural yogurt, and honey, as well as warm water.
Fresh strawberries are not only delicious to indulge in, they are also a choice remedy for tightening the facial muscles. This is because the fruits are astringent in nature, and therefore help prevent the facial muscles from sagging. Additionally, Vitamin C present in the fruits is rich in antioxidants which boosts collagen production to keep the skin tight and firm. Add to this the alpha hydroxyl acids present in the fruits and you have an effective natural solution for the management of sagging facial skin.
- Clean the strawberries land then mash them in a bowl using a spoon.
- Once all the strawberries are pulp-like, add the yogurt and honey before mashing some more.
- Apply the paste on your face and neck and then leave on for some 20 minutes.
- Rinse the paste off using warm water and finish off with a moisturizing lotion.
- Use this remedy at least once daily for best results.
10. Facial Exercises:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: A comfortable place to do the exercises.
It is interesting to note that like any other muscles in the body, tightening the ones on the face requires regular exercise. This is one of the simple ways to get rid of sagging skin and the infamous double chin. Done regularly, these exercises, in addition to the aforementioned home remedies work to make the face tight. Listed below are simple facial exercises that you can perform at your desk or on the go.
- Tilt your head backwards and close your mouth as you look upwards.
- You may also mimic the chewing process and move your chin up and down as many times as you can.
- Suck in your cheekbones as many times as you can in order to strengthen your cheekbones.
Remember to eat a healthy diet to keep your facial skin in good health. Take more fruits and vegetables and cut down on processed and junk food. Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals which enhance the natural glow of the skin. Avoid stressful events as these are known to cause the skin and facial muscles to strain. If you are concerned about the condition of your skin, make time to see a dermatologist and chart the way forward.