The condition of your hair says a lot about you, which explains, in part, the fascination with long thick hair. The challenge with living in today’s world, however, is that fact that with increased stress levels and poor health choices, many people start to face issues regarding the health of their hair. If left unaddressed, there is always the possibility that your hair could start to fall and lose its thickness and overall health. The good news, however, is that there are a handful of natural remedies that you can use to manage the health and thickness of your hair. All of these remedies have minimal side effects and are recommended for everyone who desires hair with more volume.
1. Egg Mask:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Big eggs, light shampoo, and cold water.
Egg is a great remedy for increasing the volume of your hair, simply because it is laden with proteins that you need to grow strong healthy hair. The elemental structure of your hair strands is composed of protein, so increasing the amount of protein supply is one of the simplest ways to increase hair thickness. If you would like, you may use the egg in its raw form alone, or you may opt to mix the eggs with a few more helpful ingredients such as your choice essential oils.
- Beat the two eggs in a bowl and proceed to whisk until you have a clump free mixture. If you opt to add your choice essential oil, make sure you do it at this stage.
- Apply the whisked egg to your hair. If you have long hair, it is best to work in sections. This way, you avoid getting tangled hair.
- Let the egg sit in your hair for some 20 minutes before shampooing once. This is recommended to get rid of the characteristic smell of raw egg.
- Carry out 2 rinses using cold water. Do not use warm or hot water as this mimics the process of cooking egg, which only makes it harder for you to get rid of from your hair.
2. Coconut Oil Massage :
Time Required: 1 Hr
What You Need: Coconut oil, a warm bath, a clean towel, hot water, and your choice shampoo.
Coconut oil is one of the most important home remedies for anyone who would like thicker hair. Not only does this oil contain proteins whose immense benefits have been listed above, the oil is also rich in essential fatty acids that nourish the scalp and keep it healthy. A healthy scalp is the foundation for thick hair, so if you are looking forward to adding more volume to your hair, look no further than this oil. To get the most benefits of the oil, make sure that you first warm it in a bath so that it is easily absorbed.
- Place the coconut oil in a bowl and then heat it using a water bath.
- As the coconut oil warms, run hot water through the towel as this is what you will use to cover your hair. The essence of doing this is to increase the heat so that the oil permeates through to the shaft of the hair strand.
- Allow the towel to cover your head for about 30 minutes for best results.
- Follow this through with your normal shampooing procedure and moisturize as you normally do. Use this remedy at least once weekly to get thick healthy hair.
3. Avocado Fruit:
Time Required: 1 Hr
What You Need: 1 Ripe avocado, 1 ripe banana, a shower cap, choice shampoo, and conditioner, as well as warm water.
Avocado fruit is both delicious and has a handful practical uses for natural remedy enthusiasts. It is therefore little wonder that this fruit is often used as one of the most incredible home remedies for getting hair to have more volume. Avocado contains good fats which nourish the scalp naturally and help your hair remain shiny and healthy. When mixed with banana, yet another favorite, the result is an incredibly effective and creamy hair mask. Note that this remedy is recommended for use on clean damp hair (preferably just-washed).
- Peel both fruits and mix in a bowl before mashing it up to create a creamy pulp-free mixture.
- Part your hair into different sections to ease the application of this excellent remedy.
- Once your hair is entirely covered by the paste, cover your head with the shower cap. This is done to increase the warmth as well as allow for the paste’s nutrients to penetrate to the hair.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and proceed with your normal shampoo and condition routine.
4. Orange Juice:
Time Required: 1 Hr
What You Need: 1 Fresh orange, a food processor, shower cap, and warm water.
Orange juice works as a remedy for thicker hair because it contains citric acid that works to cleanse the scalp and stimulate the growth of hair. The presence of Vitamin C also works to promote hair growth by nourishing the scalp. Perhaps the most exciting thing about this remedy is the refreshing scent that it leaves your hair with. For those who are struggling with dandruff, this remedy also comes in handy. If oranges are not in season, or you cannot access them for whatever reason, look out for lemons – they work just as well.
- Wash your orange and slice the orange.
- Put the sliced oranges in the food processor without peeling the oranges to ensure that you get the most of the nutritional benefits for your hair.
- After a few minutes in the food processor (depending on the settings), take the smooth pulp and place in a bowl as this is what you will need for application.
- Apply the pulp on your hair and leave on for half an hour. Wear your shower cap during this stage.
- Rinse your hair with warm water once you are done. Rinse multiple times if you have to, but do it ell to get rid of any residual matter. Use this remedy weekly for best results.
5. Olive Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min application and overnight use.
What You Need: Olive oil, light shampoo, and warm water.
Olive oil is packed with fats and nutrients for your hair’s health, which is what makes the oil a ideal remedy for thicker hair. In fact, olive oil has long been used to ensure that hair remains soft and luscious. The most remarkable ingredient in the oil is the presence of omega-3-fatty acids that provide great nourishment for the scalp so that the resulting hair is thick and healthy. Applying olive oil is pretty simple, so this is a must have in your bathroom if you desire thicker hair.
- Simply apply a generous amount of the olive oil to your hair and scalp.
- Massage the oil in, and make sure that the entire length of your hair is protected by the oil.
- Leave the oil in overnight and rinse the next morning using warm water. Use this remedy at least twice weekly.
6. Amla (also Known as The Indian Gooseberry):
Time Required: 3 Hrs preparation, 10 minutes application.
What You Need: 400g of amla powder, 1/2 liter of coconut oil, 4.5 liters of warm water, a graduated basin, pan, a clean cloth which you will use for filtration purposes, and a dark brown glass bottle.
Indian gooseberry, popularly referred to as amla, is a popular home remedy for thicker hair. Not only does it contain high amounts of Vitamin C, it is also an excellent antioxidant whose numerous health benefits afford you healthy hair. Other advantages of using amla include prevention of greying hair, dandruff and overall faster growth of your hair. The directions below outline the process of preparing your own amla oil using the powder and the rest of the aforementioned ingredients.
- Add half of the amla powder to the 4 liters of water and stir the mixture before bringing it to boil.
- Let the mixture boil until the amount present is a quarter of the original mixture. Make sure you continue stirring as the mixture boils to prevent the powder from settling at the bottom.
- When the mixture gets to 1 liter, turn off the heat and stir once more.Set this mixture aside.
- Take the remaining amla powder and add just enough water to it to create a smooth paste.
- Place the paste in a bowl and proceed to add all the coconut oil.
- Now, take the coconut oil-paste mixture and add it to the 1-liter mixture you had set aside in step 3.
- Stir the resulting mixture before bringing it to boil on medium heat.
- Continue stirring the mixture as it boils to prevent the powder from burning at the bottom. The reason for doing this is to heat the mixture and evaporate all of the water content. Ideally, the water should separate from the rest of the cloudy mixture as boiling continues.
- Continue boiling while stirring. To check whether there is any water present in the mixture, scoop some of it using a big spoon and place it above a flame. If the mixture bubbles noisily, this is indicative that there is still some water present.
- Boil until you can ascertain that there is no water present in the mixture.
- The mixture will be ready for the next step when you notice the powder start to form a hard layer, while the oil creates a distinct layer. At this point the oil is ready for filtration.
- Using the clean cloth, pass the oil through to strain it. You are advised to do this while it is still hot as it is easiest in this state.
- Store the oil in the glass bottle in a cool dry place.
- Whenever you need to use the oil, simply place some of it on the palms of your hands and massage your scalp and hair with it for thicker healthy hair.
7. Hibiscus Mask:
Time Required: 1.5 Hrs
What You Need: A handful of both hibiscus leaves and curry leaves, pestle and mortar, choice of oil (amla, coconut or almond oil), and water to create a paste
A hibiscus mask may just be what you need for thicker hair if you would like to go for natural remedies. The paste in this remedy consists of hibiscus and curry leaves, both of which have been shown to strengthen your hair strands from the root, while increasing its volume. Regular use will have your hair thick, soft and shiny. It also prevents hair breakage and damage.
- Mix the leaves and proceed to pound them using a pestle and mortar to create a paste.
- You may add some water to ensure that the paste is consistent.
- Oil your hair as you normally would using your choice of oil.
- You will then apply the hibiscus paste to your hair and leave for an hour.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and shampoo as usual. Use this mask twice weekly for best results.
Other home remedies available for your use in improving hair thickness include a honey mask which nourishes the scalp and keeps it moisturized, red fleshy onions which have a high sulfur concentration as well as licorice herb. Proper hair hygiene is integral too, so keep up with regular shampoo and deep conditioning, alongside using the right hair products.