Smooth skin is a key indicator of one’s health. No one likes cracked or spotted skin, regardless of their gender. Some of the most common problems that affect the skin include acne, blemishes and wrinkles. The market is saturated with a host of skin care products which you can use to improve the condition of your skin and maintain its smoothness.
The flip side to using these products is that sometimes they are costly, and can have side effects depending on the nature of your skin. The good news is that there are a number of natural remedies available with which you can manage your skin and ensure it remains smooth and flawless. The most interesting thing about these natural remedies is that most of them are readily available in your kitchen it could clearly help if you raided your pantry from time to time.
1. Drinking Water:
Time Required: Staggered through out a period of 24 hours.
What You Need: Potable water and freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional).
One of the most common and overlooked remedies for clear smooth skin is taking enough water. The simplicity of this remedy means that many people overlook it, yet it is one of the golden rules of maintaining flawless skin. Drinking plenty of water throughout he day prevents dehydration which then causes the skin to dry out.
In addition to this, drinking plenty of water enables the skin get rid of toxins and flush out waste. This goes a long way in clearing the pores on the skin, a process that is integral to your skin’s health. In line with this remedy, it is important to avoid alcohol and fizzy drinks as much as you possibly can because these entities lead to dehydration. To boost the effects of drinking water, you need to increase the uptake of fleshy fruits and vegetables too. This not only supplies your body with antioxidants, it also helps battle free radicals on the skin, a cause of skin wrinkles.
- Drink about 8 glasses of water staggered throughout the day. You could either take the water hot, cold or warm depending on your preferences.
Note: If you find it difficult to take plain water, you can always add some freshly squeezed lemon juice to the water to give it a refreshing taste. Take on a steady approach – this means that if you are not used to taking water through out the day, you could start with 3 glasses, then 5 and finally 8 glasses of water daily.
2. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 2 Medium-sized lemons and lukewarm water for rinsing.
Lemon juice makes for an excellent skin cleanser as it is rich in citric acid and enzymes that help get rid of dead skin cells. When used topically, lemon juice leaves the skin smooth and fresh. In addition to this, the juice’s astringent properties makes it ideal for people with very oily skin. If you have spots and scars that you would like to get rid of, make lemon juice your best friend and use it daily until you notice that your skin is smoother.
- Wash the lemon properly and cut it into half so that you are able to juice it.
- Collect the juice and apply it to your skin using cotton wool.
- Let the lemon juice dry on your skin for about 10 minutes before rinsing it using lukewarm water.
- Dry your skin and apply the ideal skin moisturizer for your skin type. Repeat this procedure at least once daily.
3. Honey and Lemon:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of honey, and warm water.
Honey is a superb home remedy for smooth skin because its antimicrobial properties help get rid of skin infections. Additionally, the application of honey on the skin works as a natural skin lightener. This is important because smooth skin is skin that is spotless. Using honey gets rid of these spots, thus ensuring that you get flawless skin. The benefits of lemon juice have been aforementioned. The combination of honey and lemon is the perfect answer to smooth radiant skin.
- Mix equal portions of the honey and lemon juice, making sure the two ingredients are well blended in so that the honey dissolves completely.
- Apply this mixture on your skin and leave it on for about 20 minutes for the effects to take place.
- Rinse the honey-lemon juice mixture off your skin and follow this up with the ideal skin moisturizer. Repeat this procedure at least once daily, until you notice that your skin’s health has improved.
4. Processed Oats:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Half cup of processed oats and warm water.
Processed oats are not just a perfect breakfast option, but they also make for an excellent home remedy to ensure your skin remains smooth and retains its characteristic glow. When mixed with water, the oats create a paste-like substance which is then applied on the skin. This paste is then massaged n the skin in gentle motions, all the while scrubbing and getting rid of dead skin cells. An excellent exfoliant, oats make for a great addition to your skin care routine.
- Place the oats in a bowl and gradually add the warm water. You will notice that the oaks bulk up as the water is absorbed to create a sponge-like substance.
- Apply the soaked oats on your skin, making sure you concentrate the circular motions on trouble spots on the skin such as those which have spots and blackheads.
- Allow the oats to remain on your skin for about 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Pat your skin dry and slather a generous amount of your choice skin moisturizer. Repeat this procedure at least once daily, preferably at bedtime when the skin has ample time to regenerate.
5. Rice Flour:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: A cup of rice, a grinder, and a cup of fresh milk.
Flour prepared from rice, when mixed with milk to create a paste gives you one of the best home-made skin scrubs, effectively getting rid of dead cells on the skin. Milk is a preferred addition because it is packed with nutrients that help nourish the skin and introduce the characteristic glow of smooth healthy skin. Additional benefits of using the rice flour-milk scrub include an improvement in the circulation of blood under the skin as well as the elimination of spots and blemishes.
- Place a cup of rice in the grinder and grind until you have a powder. You could use the powder in coarse or fine form depending on your preferences.
- Add the milk to the rice flour gradually until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Scoop some of the paste and apply generous amounts of it on your skin.
- Let the paste remain on your skin for about 15 minutes, all the while while you massage your skin gently. Notice that if you use coarse rice powder to create the scrub, it is likely that it will keep falling off – keep at it despite this.
- Rinse your face with cold water. Regular use of this remedy has been shown to have a positive effect on the skin as far as maintaining smooth skin is concerned.
6. Olive Oil:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: A few drops of olive oil. Other oils that can be used in place of olive oil include jojoba oil or coconut oil.
Olive oil is a great home remedy for the attainment of smooth skin. As with many other home remedies, regular use of olive oil is integral to improved clear skin. The application of olive oil not only hydrates the skin, it is also excellent in preventing skin infections. Find ways to incorporate olive oil into your daily skin care routine for best results. The best time to apply olive oil is at bedtime as this allows the skin’s pores to absorb the oil for maximum benefits.
- Simply place three drops of olive oil on the palms of your hands and apply on your skin.
7. Ripe Banana and Oil Mask:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Ripe banana, two tablespoons of olive oil, warm water to rinse, pestle and mortar.
Ripe banana makes for an excellent skin mask as it is a superb moisturizer, and helps seal in moisture. This prevents the skin from drying and cracking, making it fairly easy to get smooth skin. The nutrients present in banana also nourish the skin and enhance the process of skin repair. The addition of olive oil helps compliment the benefits of banana, making the two ingredients a perfect addition to your daily skin care routine. If you suffer from really dry skin, you can always add some honey to the mashed mixture.
NB: The reason why you should specifically use a ripe banana is that an unripe banana will create a mask that will not stick to the skin, hence beating the purpose of the remedy.
- Peel the banana and chop it into small pieces in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of the olive oil and mash up the mixture using the pestle and mortar.
- Scoop some of the mashed banana and oil paste-like substance and apply it on your skin.
- Leave the mask on your skin for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off the banana mixture using warm water and proceed with your daily skin care routine.
8. Egg and Honey Mixture:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Two eggs, a tablespoon of honey, and warm water.
It is impossible to talk about natural skin care remedies without making mention of egg and honey. Egg has long been considered an excellent natural remedy for smooth skin. It is not only a delicious snack when cooked, it is also a key ingredient to smooth skin when applied on the skin in its raw form. Egg whites are loved because they help tighten the skin’s pores, thanks to their astringent properties. Honey on the other hand, brightens the skin and gives it the characteristic glow of healthy skin. The next time you prepare eggs for breakfast, remember they could be the solution to clear flawless skin.
- Beat the eggs and separate the yolk from the whites.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the egg whites and whisk together for the ingredients to mix well.
- Apply the egg-honey mixture on your skin and let it dry for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse using warm water and carry on with your daily skin routine.
Other home remedies that you can incorporate into your skin care routine include yogurt which retains the skin’s moisture, papaya whose enzymatic action helps get rid of dead skin cells and cucumber whose refreshing and soothing properties help maintain smooth skin. Alongside these remedies, it is important for you to observe a healthy balanced diet. This provides your skin with the necessary nutrients required for its proper maintenance.