Skin blemishes are a common occurrence for many people, typically characterized by discoloration of the skin. In many cases, this is accompanied by darkened spots which are the result of acne.
Other causes of skin marks and dark spots include hormonal imbalance (especially in women due to their monthly cycles), aging as well as genetics that predispose specific persons to the appearance of the skin marks. For the most part, blemishes may also result from pimples that form on the skin.
The pimples are usually as a result of the blockage of skin pores. While these spots can appear anywhere on the body, they are more likely to occur on the face, the shoulders and the neck.
Some individuals will show these blemishes on the back. For this reason, the market is awash with products that are touted to get rid of the unsightly skin marks, many of which affect the self esteem of the affected persons.
A number of these products are effective, but the cost of the same remains out of reach for many users who would need the high quality options. In addition to this, most of the products are laden with chemicals that could cause side effects in some users. If you are looking for a solution to getting rid of these skin blemishes, why not turn to Mother Nature for handy and effective home remedies to help nourish and treat your skin? These home remedies have minimal side effects, and work wonders as they pamper and refresh the skin while getting rid of the blemishes over a significant period of time.
1. Aloe Vera:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Freshly cut aloe leaf, warm water for rinsing OR two tablespoons of freshly squeezed aloe gel, granular sugar, and a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Aloe Vera is one of the most effective home remedies for a myriad of skin conditions. Little wonder this is a key ingredient in a myriad of skin care products. The gel from the freshly squeezed leaf has a high concentration of complex sugars. These complex sugars trigger the growth and proliferation of new skin cells which in turns hastens the healing of the blemishes. Additionally, Aloe Vera gel is an effective anti-inflammatory that comes in handy in cases where the skin blemishes are the result of acne breakout. The soothing effect of the gel is perfect for blemishes that are the result of sunburns.
- Take the freshly cut leaf and squeeze the gel onto your palm.
- Rub your hands and apply the gel on the affected part of the skin, making sure to apply it on your face too.
- Let the mixture stay for about 15 minutes before washing off with warm water. Use this remedy daily for best results.
- The other alternative to using aloe vera gel is to combine it with other ingredients that help nourish the skin. Add the following ingredients to a small bowl and mix well: the aloe vera gel, lemon juice and granular sugar. Transfer a generous amount of the mixture to your hands and apply the remedy to the affected parts of the skin that have the blemishes. As with the first method, let the mixture stay on your skin for approximately 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Repeat this remedy about four times weekly until you are able to eliminate the blemishes.
2. Raw Potatoes:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 2 small-sized potatoes, ball of cotton wool, grater, and a cheesecloth.
Raw potatoes are a natural yet gentle bleaching agent, and this property makes the potatoes ideal for the home treatment of skin blemishes. Potato juice contains large amounts of starch whose whitening properties are the perfect and most natural way to treat those unsightly blemishes on the skin. They are also an excellent way to get rid of the dark circles under the eyes.
- Peel both potatoes and wash before grating them to create fine gratings.
- Transfer the gratings to the clean cheesecloth and squeeze hard to extract the juice.
- Cut a sizable piece of the cotton wool and roll it in the potato juice you have just extracted.
- Apply the potato juice on your skin and allow it to stay for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the potato juice off your face using warm water. Repeat this remedy twice daily, for a month or until you are content with the improvements made.
3. Papaya And Raw Milk Mixture:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A slice of papaya and 1/2 a cup of raw milk.
Papaya is a popular fruit whose availability all year round makes it a choice fruit for those who are keen to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In addition to this, papaya, also known as pawpaw, has been shown to be an excellent product for the elimination of skin blemishes. This is because the fruit contains an enzyme known as ‘papain’.
This enzyme effectively digests protein on the skin, allowing for the regeneration of skin cells for that glowing look. This fruit also has a low concentration of Sodium that enables it to effectively retain water thus ensuring that the skin remains hydrated. Regular consumption of papaya ensures that the skin remains soft and supple.
Raw milk on the other hand is an effective skin cleanser that helps get rid of the toxins that often clog the skin pores, leading to breakouts which in turn cause the blemishes. With this effect, the raw milk is able to penetrate the skin, providing a host of nutrients required to keep the skin healthy. Raw milk has also been shown to prevent acne. The presence of lactic acid in the milk also enhances exfoliation.
This is the process that helps get rid of dead skin cells so that the new cells formed help get rid of the skin blemishes over a period of time. The reason behind raw milk is that before it is processed, the beneficial nutrients are not destroyed either through boiling or pasteurization. The mixture of papaya and milk makes for an excellent home remedy when you need to eliminate those dark spots from your skin.
- Peel the slice of papaya and mash it in a bowl to get a past with appropriate consistency.
- Add the raw milk and mash some more.
- Scoop some of the papaya/milk mixture and apply it on your face. Massage the mixture gently, making sure you cover every area of the skin that has the blemishes.
- Allow the mixture to stay on for about 15 minutes before rinsing off using warm water.
4. Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A cup of freshly squeezed lemon, a teaspoon of organic honey, tomato juice (optional), and a ball of cotton wool.
Lemon juice is an excellent option when it comes to choosing a home remedy for skin blemishes. Not only is it a natural skin lightening remedy, it is also high in citric acid. Citric acid is an excellent ingredient in skin exfoliation, a process which sloughs off the dead skin and allows for the generation of new cells that effectively get rid of blemishes over a period of time. The presence of this acid also gets rid of bacteria that cause acne breakout, therefore minimizing the chances of dark spots formation on the skin. Overall, the use of lemon juice also decreases the size of large skin pores, creating smooth silky skin.
Organic honey on the other hand, is a great anti-bacterial that is efficient in getting rid of bacterial populations that cause breakouts and skin blemishes. Honey is also loaded with anti-oxidants that help get rid of free radicals that cause damage to the skin. The fact that it also unblocks the skin pores makes it a perfect addition to lemon juice. If you choose to add tomato juice, you will be glad to know that this fruit is loaded with antioxidants, and its skin brightening properties make it perfect for this home remedy.
- Roll a sizable ball of cotton wool into the lemon juice and dab it on the affected parts of your skin.
- Once you have applied the juice, let it stay there for about 15 minutes before rinsing off.
- The other option is to mix a teaspoon of the lemon juice with an equal amount of honey and rub the mixture on your face in gentle circles. As with the first option, let the mixture stay in place for about 15 minutes before rinsing it off. If you like, you may add an equal amount of the tomato juice before applying the paste on your face.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Strawberry fruit, a fork, organic yogurt, raw honey.
Strawberries are not only a delicious fruit, they are also an ideal home remedy because they are laden with nutrients to nourish the skin, and antioxidants to ensure that the skin remains free of radicals that predispose you to blemishes. The presence of different acids in the fruit also enhances the process of exfoliation, in effect helping get rid of scars and spots. Organic yogurt on the other hand is packed with beneficial bacteria that help maintain the skin’s health. The numerous benefits of honey have been highlighted above, so this makes for a powerful remedy.
- Pulp the strawberries in a container, preferably using a fork.
- Transfer the mashed fruit to a bigger container and mix the pulp with raw honey and the organic yogurt.
- Massage the mixture on your skin at the places where you have the blemishes.
- Allow the mixture to stay on your skin for about 15 minutes before you rinse off with warm water. This leaves you feeling rejuvenated. Repeat this procedure thrice a week over a period of say a month or two, until you start to notice significant improvements.
Other home remedies you could try out to get rid of the blemishes on your skin include orange peels (which function more or less the same way lemon juice does), baking soda which is an excellent exfoliator and coconut oil which is great at moisturizing the skin. While these natural remedies are of great value as far as skin care is concerned, it is important for individuals to take on healthy habits that will improve the health of their skin. This means avoiding exposure to the sun for long periods of time, eating well and avoiding unhealthy lifestyle habits. Using appropriate products for your skin type also goes a long way in dealing with these skin blemishes.
- Best Home Remedies For Uneven Skin Tone
- Best Home Remedies For Acne Scabs
- Best Home Remedies For Age Spots