Scars are cause for concern for many people across the globe. This is because they not only alter the normal appearance of the skin, they can also affect one’s self esteem. Scars typically consist of tissue that is formed in place of damaged skin. Damage to the skin may result from different types of injuries such as cuts, acne, skin infections, burns as well as some types of surgical intervention procedures. While scar tissue is made in the same way as normal tissue, it differs remarkably in appearance due to the fact that the fibers connecting the skin at the point of injury are piled differently.
Once damaged tissue has healed, the scar tissue that forms does not cause any pain, but certainly is an aesthetic concern for many individuals. Consequently, there is the need to find remedies that will treat the scars. Scars will often heal on their own after a long period of time, but using remedies speeds the healing process. It is important to note that the results following the use of natural remedies for the treatment of scars will differ from one individual to another. This is usually dependent on the extent of tissue damage as well as how fresh the injury is. Below are effective remedies that you can use to treat scars naturally.
1. Aloe Vera:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Freshly cut aloe vera leaf, warm water to rinse.
Aloe Vera is, undoubtedly, one of the most effective remedies for the skin. When used to treat scar tissue, aloe vera gel improves the skin’s ability to regenerate skin cells and thus creates a new layer of skin tissue at the point of injury. This is effective in the treatment of scar tissue as it not only decreases the size of the scar, it also makes it less obvious. Additionally, the gel creates a soothing sensation and ensures that the scar tissue remains moisturized. In total, these benefits speed up the healing process.
- Take the freshly cut aloe vera leaf and slice it into two.
- Collect the gel that flows out of the sliced leaf.
- Apply this gel on the scar tissue, rubbing it in gently but firmly.
- Let the gel dry before rinsing it with warm water.
- Repeat this procedure thrice daily for about two months until you notice an improvement in the scar tissue.
2. Virgin Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Virgin coconut oil, warm water bath.
Coconut oil is another effective remedy for a host of skin conditions. This is because it not only ensures that the skin remains moisturized, it also enhances the production of collagen which in turn speeds up the healing of scar tissue. Most importantly, coconut oil contains antioxidants that prevent the damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals on the skin hamper the healing of scar tissue, so by eliminating these radicals, coconut oil works as an excellent remedy for the treatment of scars.
- Place some coconut oil in a warm water birth in order to liquefy it and make it easy to apply on the scar tissue.
- Once the coconut oil has warmed enough, scoop some of it and apply on the scars, making sure that you massage in gentle circular motions to enhance absorption.
- Allow the oil to remain on the scar.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for up to 8 weeks for effective results.
3. Lavender Essential Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Lavender essential oil.
Lavender essential oil is important for you if you would like to see an improvement in the appearance of any scars that you may have. This is because the application of this oil stimulates the skin’s regenerative functions. Doing so also helps increase the production of new skin cells, an important aspect since it prevents the scar from becoming a permanent fixture on the skin. The bonus benefit is the sweet smell of lavender oil.
- Place three drops of lavender essential oil on the palms of your hands and massage on the scar.
- Keep rubbing the oil in for about 10 minutes to ensure that there is proper absorption.
- Allow the lavender oil to remain on the skin.
- Repeat this procedure once daily until you notice that the scar tissue is beginning to fade.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Apple Cider Vinegar, abbreviated ACV (unfiltered), cotton wool, warm water, moisturizing lotion
Apple Cider Vinegar makes for an excellent home remedy as far as the treatment of scars is concerned. ACV is acidic in nature, and this property makes the solution an effective exfoliant. When applied and massaged on the skin, the vinegar helps get rid of the buildup of dead skin cells on the scar. The accumulation of dead cells is in fact, one of the reasons why scars take a long period to heal. ACV is also known to rejuvenate the skin. Note, however, that if ACV in its undiluted form irritates your skin, you are advised to dilute with clean water before using this remedy. Depending on how sensitive your skin is, you can use a ratio of 1:1 for the ACV:water.
- Cut some cotton wool and soak it in the ACV for a couple of minutes.
- Dab the cotton wool at the site of the scar and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the scar with warm water and pat dry.
- Follow this through with the application of an ideal skin moisturizer.
- Repeat this procedure twice daily for couple of months or until you notice an improvement on the skin.
5. Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Half cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, warm water, skin moisturizer, sunscreen lotion (optional).
Lemon juice is an ideal and affordable way of dealing with scar tissue. The presence of citric acid in the juice allows the remedy to exfoliate the skin and get rid of dead skin cells that tend to accumulate on the skin. This occurs due to the presence of Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) that also help repair the damage on the skin. In addition to this, lemon juice is a natural skin lightener that helps eliminate the scars.
NB: Freshly squeezed lemon juice, when applied on the scar tissue, increases the skin’s sensitivity to light. For this reason, it is important to apply sunscreen if you will be heading outdoors after applying the remedy.
- Soak some cotton wool in the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Pat the cotton wool gently to improve the absorption of the juice’s active ingredients.
- Rinse the juice off using warm water and dry well before applying skin moisturizer.
- Follow this up with the application of sunscreen lotion if you intend to spend time in the outdoors.
- Repeat this procedure twice daily for a couple of months or until you are content with the results.
6. Raw Honey:
Time Required: 1 Hr 20 Min
What You Need: Raw unprocessed honey, warm water to rinse.
Honey is ideal for the treatment of scars on the skin because it helps the skin regenerate new cells while effectively getting rid of the build up of dead skin cells. In addition to these benefits, honey prevents the excessive proliferation of collagen, thus regulating the increase in size of the scar. Get your sweet fix and eliminate the scars on your skin in one of the most affordable ways available.
- Scoop a tablespoon of raw honey and place on the palms of your hands.
- Massage the honey on the scarred skin and leave it on for an hour or so.
- Rinse the honey using warm water before applying a moisturizing lotion.
- Repeat this procedure once daily for a couple of months.
7. Vitamin E:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Vitamin E capsule. This can be replaced with Vitamin E cream or foods rich in Vitamin E such as almond nuts, peanuts and hazelnuts.
Vitamin E is your go-to remedy when you need to get rid of scars on the skin. An effective skin moisturizer, Vitamin E also has excellent antioxidant properties that help nourish the skin. In addition, Vitamin E enhances the production of collagen, one of the most important proteins in the synthesis of skin cells. Overall, Vitamin E ensures the skin remains hydrated and improves its texture and appearance.
- Break the capsule and collect the liquid from within.
- Apply the liquid on the scar twice daily of a period of a month or two, or until you start to note an improvement in the skin’s condition.
- Skin creams containing Vitamin E may be used in place of the capsule following the same procedure. It also helps to consume foods rich in Vitamin E as this helps rejuvenate the skin.
8. Cocoa Butter:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Pure cocoa butter, warm water, clean washcloth.
Cocoa butter is a must-have remedy in your arsenal of natural treatment for scar tissue. Not only does the cocoa butter deeply moisturize the skin, it also helps the skin repair itself at the site of injury. Incorporating Vitamin E to your normal skin care routine is one of the most effective ways to reduce the appearance of scars.
- Dip the washcloth in the warm water and squeeze the excess water so that the washcloth is just damp enough.
- Rub the scarred skin using the wet washcloth before patting dry.
- Take a tablespoon of the cocoa butter and apply it on the skin in gentle motions. The best time to use this remedy is at bedtime, preferably after a warm bath as this improves absorption.
- Repeat this procedure thrice daily over a period of 6 weeks for excellent results.
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: A slice of fresh papaya, cold water to rinse, skin moisturizer .
Papaya fruit is both delicious and has a wide array of benefits for the skin. The fruit has a high concentration of enzymes whose main function is the elimination of dead cells on the scarred skin. These enzymes also have a mild bleaching action that helps lighted the skin on the scar tissue, eventually reducing the appearance of the scars. Papaya is easy to get, so make the best of this fruit and eliminate scars for smooth rejuvenated skin.
- Chop the papaya slice into small cubes.
- Rub these cubes on the scarred skin for 5 minutes, and leave the mash-like pulp on the skin for another 10 minutes.
- Rinse the skin using cold water and apply moisturizing lotion to hydrate the skin.
- Repeat this procedure twice daily for a couple of months until you notice an improvement in the skin’s condition.
Other natural remedies available for the treatment of scarred skin include baking soda which works as an excellent exfoliant, natural yogurt which nourishes the skin as well as raw cucumber which revitalizes the skin. Fenugreek seeds have also been shown to be an excellent option in getting rid of the scars as have potato slices which are a natural skin lightener. It also helps to take plenty of water to prevent dehydration which worsens the appearance of scarred skin.