For many people, physical appearance plays a key role in one’s self-confidence. For women, this is even more enhanced by the fact that as they get older, they tend to experience drastic physical changes that may ruin one’s confidence.
One of the key changes that occur with aging is saggy breasts. Every woman would want to have a pair of perfectly perky breasts all of her life, but natural changes make this virtually impossible. Saggy breasts are a common occurrence, and one that can be cause of concern.
Breast sagging, medically referred to as female breast ptosis, is caused by aging. This happens when the breasts increase in elasticity and lose their firmness. There are many factors that influence the rate and degree of sagging over a woman’s lifetime, but the main ones include the number of pregnancies, having large breasts, drastic weight gain or loss as well as gravity.
Cigarette smoking is also known to contribute to sagging breasts, largely because nicotine is known to break down elastin. Elastin is a protein that is responsible for skin elasticity, and in its absence, women are more prone to saggy breasts. The condition is further pronounced in women who suffer from collagen deficiencies due to the intense loss of skin elasticity.
Medically, the extent of ptosis is established by looking at the position of the nipple in relation to the point at which the underside of the breast is connected to the wall of the chest. In its most severe form, sagging breasts have the nipples way below the fold and facing downwards. It is very important to note that breastfeeding, contrary to popular belief, does not predispose moms to saggy breasts. While there are different techniques in the medical world for the treatment of saggy breasts, there are natural options that are preferred for their non-invasive approach and minimal side-effects. Remember that with natural remedies, consistency is key for any positive effects.
1. Cold Therapy:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: A handful of ice cubes, a clean cloth and a soft towel.
Cold therapy involves the exposure of breast tissue to ice massage with the intention of regaining firmness in the saggy breasts. The logic behind this is that the low temperatures allow tissue contraction, in effect giving the breasts a firmer and perkier appearance. There are two things that you need to remember however: that the ice should not come into direct contact with the breast skin to prevent frost bites, and that secondly, this remedy should not be used for more than a minute each day. Follow the simple directions outlined below.
- Place the ice cubes on a clean cloth and wrap so that you have a pack.
- Use this ice pack to massage the breasts in circular motions for a minute or two, taking care not to apply too much pressure.
- Dry the breasts using a soft towel and follow this up by wearing a well-fitting bra.
- Lean back and unwind for half an hour.
- Use this remedy at regular intervals to help firm up the breasts over a period of time.
2. Egg Whites:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 1 Egg white, 1 tablespoon each of natural yogurt and organic honey and cold water to rinse.
Egg whites are known for their excellent benefits on the skin, and this is why they are recommended for treating saggy breasts. Their astringent properties help the skin contract while their high concentration of proteins proves beneficial for the nourishment of the skin. In addition to these advantages, egg whites also have hydrolipids that help rejuvenate the skin that surrounds breast tissue. Yogurt and honey are added for their moisturizing and smoothing properties on the skin. Cold water is then used to rinse off the remedy in order to seal in the effect and help improve the texture and appearance of saggy breasts.
- Place the egg white in a container and whip it until you have a foamy mixture.
- Add the yogurt and honey to the foamy egg white and beat for a few more minutes.
- Apply this mixture on the breasts and massage in circular motions, doing so as gentle as possible.
- Leave the skin mask on for about half an hour.
- Rinse off the mask using cold water.
- Use this remedy at least twice weekly to help deal with saggy breasts.
3. Olive Oil Massage:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Olive oil and a warm bath.
One of the most common home remedies recommended for the treatment of saggy breasts is olive oil. Rich in fatty acids and antioxidants, olive oil helps eliminate free radicals found in breast tissue. This is an important role because free radicals have the capacity to destroy elastin found in breast tissue. Since elastin is responsible for maintaining skin elasticity, its destruction has the opposite effect and leads to saggy breasts. Olive oil also has the advantage of moisturizing the skin, which works well to enhance the texture and appearance of the breasts. In the absence of olive oil, one may also use jojoba, avocado or argan oil by following the simple directions outlined before.
- Place the olive oil in the water bath to heat it slightly before application.
- This improves absorption on the skin surface and helps deliver the oil’s active ingredients.
- After a few minutes, place some of the warm oil on the palms of your hands and rub them together.
- Massage the breasts using the oil. Do this in gentle circular and upward motions to encourage skin repair as well as improve blood circulation to the breasts.
- Wipe off the excess oil using some cotton wool.
- Repeat this procedure at least 4 times weekly. You may even incorporate this application into your daily grooming routine for purposes of consistency.
Time Required: Varies depending on the routine.
What You Need: appropriate workout gear and a comfortable place to workout from; some exercises do not require any equipment.
In addition to natural remedies used topically for saggy breasts, one may also use exercises as a form of therapy to firm up breasts and slow down the rate of sagging. It is very important to note that female breasts do not have any muscle, but are instead made up of soft tissue in addition to the mammary glands, milk ducts and fat tissue. Noteworthy is the fact that the Cooper’s ligaments provide support to the breasts. As such, the exercise routines provided below do not aim to strengthen the breasts, and are instead meant to tone the chest muscles for better support and to help prevent sagging. The exercises below also contain guidelines on how to go about the routines.
Different Exercises To Firm Up Saggy Breasts:
1. Chest Squeeze
Chest squeeze exercises are both easy to do and effective when done over a period of time.
Sit down on a chair and make sure you maintain an upright position.
- Take a medicine ball and hold it parallel to your chest.
- Squeeze the ball, first gently and then increase the pressure until you feel the stress exerted on your chest.
- As you do this, stretch your hands forward until they are fully extended.
- Continue pressing on the ball as you retract your hands inwards to your chest area.
- Repeat this procedure 10 times to make up 1 set.
- Repeat this set at least twice daily until you are content with the progress you have made.
Push-ups are a time-tested workout that not only make saggy breasts firmer, but also have incredible benefits for the back muscles. Perform these repetitions daily to improve the appearance of your breasts.
- Lie down on a mat face downwards.
- Place the palms of your hands on the mat so that they are close to the armpits.
- Raise your body gently by placing pressure on your arms. You will feel some strain in your arms, especially if you have not done these exercises in a long time. Ideally, this should be similar to making an attempt to move the floor with your hands!
- Give your body a lift as the strain increases to a bearable point.
- After a few seconds, lower your body to the original posture.
- There are no limits to the number of times push-ups can be done. In fact, the more you perform these exercises, the greater your strength becomes, so much so that some people will automatically add to the total number of daily repetitions.
3. Palms Press
If you would like a set of exercises that you can use on the go to ease the problem of saggy breasts, then look no further than Palms Press. The best thing about it is that it does not require any equipment and can be repeated as many times as one would wish.
- The original position for this set of routines is the typical standing posture.
- Draw your palms closer to each other right in front of your chest.
- Press the palms against each other as much as you can. You will feel the strain in your chest muscles.
- Maintain this position for about 15 seconds and then slowly release to the original posture.
- Repeat this exercise ten times or more daily to firm up saggy breasts.
4. Back Elbow Stretch
Just like the Palms Press, this exercise does not require any equipment and may be done with great ease even while on the go.
- Maintain an upright posture while standing before starting on this routine.
- Move your hands and place them at the back of your head.
- Ensure that one palm is on top of the other for this routine.
- You will then extend your elbows backwards for as far as you can.
- Maintain this position for about 5 seconds and then retract the elbows to the front.
- Resume your original position and make 12 repetitions of the routine.
5. Backwards Arms Stretch
This exercise is similar to the back elbow stretch with only minimal differences. It is also pretty easy to do, and posts impressive progress if done daily.
- Maintain an upright posture while standing before starting on this routine.
- Place your hands on the side, but ensure that the palms are facing back for the most effective way to get the most out of this exercise.
- Extend your hands backwards making sure that the elbows do not bend at all.
- Stretch the hands as far back as you can. You should be able to feel some strain in the arms, shoulders and chest muscles.
- Maintain this position for 5 seconds and then resume your original position.
- Do 20 repetitions of this exercise.
5. Shea Butter:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 spoonful scoop of shea butter and cold water to rinse.
Shea butter is a natural ingredient whose health benefits make it appropriate for the natural treatment of saggy breasts. This butter not only smooths the skin, it is also an excellent source of Vitamin E that helps tighten the skin around the breast. In addition to this, shea butter is also packed with antioxidants. These are especially effective in the reduction of cell damage that results from free radicals in the body. Left unchecked, free radicals may damage elastin that helps maintain the elasticity of the breasts.
- Scoop the shea butter onto the palms of your hands and rub vigorously to help generate some heat.
- Massage the shea butter upwards and in circular motions for about 15-20 minutes.
- Leave the shea butter on the skin for 10 minutes before rinsing it off using cold water.
- Use this remedy at least thrice weekly.
- For the most effective results, combine shea butter remedy with any of the exercise routines mentioned above.
In addition to the remedies listed above, it is also recommended that women take preventive measures and make lifestyle changes in order to slow down the process of sagging. One of the ways to do this is to maintain a healthy weight in order to avoid drastic weight loss or weight gain in a short period of time. When the body gains or loses fat too suddenly, skin tends to sag disproportionately, and this increases the chances of saggy breasts.
Other simple changes one can incorporate include staying hydrated for healthy skin around the breasts, using sunscreen to prevent skin damage of the breasts as well as maintaining an upright posture. It is also important to wear a well-fitting bra to ensure adequate support for the breasts. If you are concerned about the appearance of your breasts, or would prefer to have medical intervention, make sure you consult your doctor.