Rashes under the breasts are a common occurrence for many women. This condition is also known as intertrigo, and occurs under the folds of the breast. These rashes are caused by excessive sweating, poor air circulation under the breast as well as extreme heat.
In some cases, the rashes are the result of wearing bras that do not fit well. The condition is prevalent in areas where the weather is hot and humid. The rashes are often characterized by fungal infections since the condition thrives in a warm environment.
Some of the symptoms that characterize rashes under the breast include intense itchiness, redness and inflammation at the affected skin and in some people, flaking of the skin. Overall, these symptoms cause great discomfort.
The fact that there are natural remedies available for the home treatment of this condition offers some peace of mind. It is important, however, to get a medical appointment if the remedies do not offer relief after a few days as this could point to an underlying fungal infection. Getting medical attention reduces the chances that the infection will spread to other parts of the body. Use any of the remedies below to treat rashes under the breast.
1. Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Coconut oil (preferably extra virgin oil), warm bath (optional) and cotton wool.
Coconut oil is an excellent remedy for the treatment of different skin conditions, among them, rashes under the breast. The oil’s soothing properties help relieve you of the discomfort, while its anti-fungal properties reduce the chances that the rashes will progress to a fungal infection. The fact that the oil is greasy also helps reduce the amount of friction between the skin folds, effectively reducing the itchiness. The advantage of using coconut oil is that you can use it on the go. Follow the simple directions below to make the best use of this remedy.
- Place a few drops of the coconut oil on the cotton wool and gently apply on the skin under the breast.
- Use a generous amount of the oil and make sure it is absorbed well to effectively clear the skin rash.
- Repeat the procedure thrice daily until the rashes clear.
2. Ice Pack:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 5 Ice cubes and a thin cotton towel. Cold milk (optional).
An ice pack is one of the most effective home remedies for the treatment of skin conditions where inflammation is present. This is because the low temperatures present in the ice provide much-needed relief from the itching. The ice is also ideal for easing the burning sensation that characterizes rashes under the breast. Cold milk is an optional addition as it not only cools the inflamed skin under the breast, it also provides proteins required for healthy skin. Use the directions provided below to get relief using this simple but effective home remedy.
- Place the ice cubes on the thin towel and hold out opposite ends so that you create a pack.
- Rub the pack on the skin below the breasts for up to 10 minutes, taking breaks as often as required.
- If you opt to add milk to the remedy, prepare the ice cubes using both water and the cold milk with the same results.
- Use the ice pack multiple times daily to ease the discomfort of the rashes.
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Cornstarch, soap, warm water and a cotton towel.
Cornstarch is a choice home remedy for the treatment of rashes under the breast. This remedy works because it absorbs moisture, thus eliminating the conditions that cause fungi and bacteria to thrive. By eliminating the warm moist environment, you are able to get relief from the discomfort of the condition.
The most important thing when using cornstarch is to ensure that you control excessive sweating, effectively reducing the moisture present as this easily predisposes you to infections. For this reason, the best time to use this remedy is at bedtime when your body is less active and therefore sweats less. Use the remedy daily until the rashes clear.
- Clean the area under the breast using soap and warm water.
- Dry the skin well as you must never apply the cornstarch on moist skin lest you risk an infection.
- Once thoroughly dried, apply the cornstarch, ensuring any red patches are covered in entirety.
- Use this remedy daily, preferably at bedtime.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 4 Teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 cups of water and cotton wool.
One of the most popular remedies for the home treatment of skin conditions is apple cider vinegar. Abbreviated ACV, this remedy is rich in healing properties that help get rid of fungal infections and persistent irritation of the skin. Whenever you need to get rid of the inflammation that accompanies rashes under the breast, ACV is your go-to remedy. Note however, that those with sensitive skin may react to the use of this remedy. For this reason, it is wise to carry out a patch test first. Once in the clear, dilute the ACV as indicated in the steps below. Use this remedy daily to speed up the healing process.
- Add the ACV to the water and stir to mix well.
- Place the cotton wool in the dilute ACV so that it soaks just enough to use on the affected skin.
- Use the wet cotton wool to wipe the inflamed skin.
- Massage in gentle motions to allow for the absorption of the remedy.
- Repeat this procedure at least twice daily.
5. Tea Tree Oil:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 5 Drops of tea tree oil, 1/4 cup of coconut or olive oil and cotton wool.
Tea tree oil is a choice remedy for the treatment of rashes under the breast, especially if they are the result of a fungal infection. This is because the oil is packed with anti-fungal properties that destroy the fungal population present, in effect getting rid of the accompanying symptoms. Even in cases where the rashes present are not the result of an infection, the oil works effectively to ensure that the broken skin remains micro-organisms free. More importantly, tea tree oil must never be used undiluted. Use the carrier oil for this purpose prior to the application of the remedy.
- Dilute the tea tree oil by mixing it with the preferred carrier oil, whether coconut or olive oil.
- Soak the cotton wool in the oil mixture and proceed to apply on the rash under the breast as well as on the surrounding skin.
- Massage the oil gently on the skin to facilitate optimal absorption.
- In case you experience irritation on the affected skin, discontinue the use of the oil and seek medical attention.
6. Raw Garlic Cloves:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 3 Fresh garlic cloves, mortar and pestle as well as warm water.
It is almost impossible to talk about home remedies for the treatment of rashes under the breast without making mention of garlic cloves. Garlic is perhaps nature’s best anti-fungal treatment. The presence of a sulfur-based compound known as allicin is the reason for the herb’s excellent healing properties.
While the consumption of garlic in one’s diet daily is helpful, the best way to get quick relief from the symptoms of rashes under the breast is by using crushed garlic paste. Furthermore, the action of crushing the garlic releases the allicin in its active and most potent form. Warm water is added to create a paste for ease of application.
- Peel the garlic cloves and chop into small pieces.
- Transfer the chopped garlic and crush using the pestle and mortar.
- You may add some water to get a paste with the desired consistency.
- Apply the garlic paste on the rash-affected skin below the breast.
- Leave the paste on the skin for 20 minutes to allow for the healing properties to set in.
- Once this time elapses, rinse the skin using warm water.
- Use the remedy thrice daily until the rashes are completely cleared.
7. Baking Soda:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Cup of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of vinegar and warm water.
Baking soda is alkaline in nature, and therein lies the healing properties of the remedy as far as the treatment of rashes under the skin is concerned. The use of baking soda in this home remedy helps counter the effects of irritants present on the skin as well as in clothes that come into contact with the breast, especially bras.
Overall, baking soda has a soothing effect on the skin. When mixed with vinegar to create a paste, the remedy acts as a skin mask that helps get rid of the rashes as well as slough off dead skin cells. The result is rash-free skin with healthier skin cells on regeneration.
- Mix the baking soda with the vinegar, adding the latter in small amounts until you have a paste with the desired consistency.
- Apply a thick layer of the paste on the skin folds below the breast.
- Allow the paste to dry for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the paste off using warm water. Make sure that you dry the skin thoroughly to get rid of all the moisture.
- Use this remedy twice daily until the rashes are eliminated.
8. Fresh Lemons:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Fresh lemons, manual juicer and 3 tablespoons of warm water.
Lemons are a popular citrus fruit. When used for the home treatment of rashes under the breast, the lemons’ Vitamin C inhibits the growth of the fungi, in effect hastening the healing process. The presence of antioxidants found in the lemon juice also helps fight off infections, making this simple remedy an ideal choice for the elimination of rashes under the breast. Use this remedy twice daily for best results.
- Squeeze the lemons and collect the juice in a cup.
- Take 3 tablespoons of the juice and dilute using double the amount of water (6 tablespoons).
- Apply the dilute juice on the affected skin using cotton wool. You may feel a stinging sensation at the onset of application, but this subsides after a few seconds.
- Allow the juice to dry on the skin.
- Repeat this procedure twice daily.
9. Additional Tips for the Natural Treatment of Rashes Under the Breast:
- Reduce friction under the breasts by applying greasy skin creams.
- Choose your bras carefully, especially if you have sensitive skin. Look out for bras that are well-fitting, and made from cotton. Cotton allows the skin to breathe and prevents the formation of the skin rash. In the same breath, avoid using harsh detergents to clean your bras as this could easily introduce irritants to the skin.
- Since rashes under the breast are common in obese people due to the folding of the skin, losing weight is one of the most effective ways to treat the condition.
- Use skin products that are gentle to avoid further irritation.
- If the use of the aforementioned remedies does not help improve the healing process, seek medical guidance on the way forward.