Perioral dermatitis is a condition that is characterized by the formation of small tender papules on the skin, and more specifically on the lower half of the face.The most common location for these papules is the mouth. The eruption of this inflammation may spread to the nose and eyes, and may be accompanied by the release of a clear discharge. Some people will experience a burning sensation too.
Research shows that while some cases of this condition are chronic, a good number occur following the exposure of the skin to topical steroids which are sometimes administered for a different condition.Other causes of this condition include allergic reactions, nutritional deficiencies as well as certain environmental factors. Since the cause of this condition varies from one person to another, the course of treatment using home remedies varies accordingly.
Natural remedies are preferred because they are pretty safe, affordable, and for the most part, readily available. This is an advantage for those whose skin is sensitive, and therefore requires a tender approach. Listed below are some of the remedies recommended for the natural treatment of perioral dermatitis.
1. Raw Honey:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Tablespoon each of raw honey, olive oil and beeswax as well as a double boiler.
Honey is a common home remedy for the treatment of different conditions that cause the inflammation of the kin. This is attributed to its soothing properties as well as its excellent antiseptic properties. Honey also has great antibacterial properties that help prevent the inflammation from escalating to an infection. You may use the honey on its own, or prepare an ointment which you can then apply on the papules as often as you need to. Beeswax provides a medium for the ointment, while olive oil enhances the quick healing of the skin.
- Simply apply the honey on the inflamed skin as often as you need to.
- Alternatively, prepare an ointment as follows: Heat the olive oil and beeswax in a double boiler for a few minutes. Once melted and well mixed, add the honey.
- Do not heat the honey as this reduces its efficiency as a natural remedy.
- Allow the mixture to cool and apply on the skin severally throughout the day.
2. Vitamin E Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Vitamin E oil.
When it comes to treating skin dermatitis of any kind, of which perioral dermatitis is one of them, Vitamin E’s healing properties come in handy. This oil promotes quick healing and relieves you of the itchiness on the affected skin. Best of all perhaps, this is one simple remedy that you can use while on the go. the best time to use this remedy is at bedtime as it allows ample time for the skin to heal and recuperate.
- Simply place a few drops of the oil on the affected skin and let it remain there overnight.
- Make use of one of the best home remedies available for you.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Cup of powdered oatmeal and warm water.
Need to get a home remedy that effectively soothes the inflamed and irritated skin? Look no further than oatmeal. Best known for its ability to help reduce skin irritation as well as ensure your skin remains moisturized, this is a handy remedy for the home treatment of perioral dermatitis. For this remedy, prepare poultice which you will place on the skin as indicated in the directions below.
- Add the water in -small quantities- to the oatmeal so that you have a wet mass, what is known as the poultice.
- Place the poultice on the affected skin and let it remain there for some 20 minutes.
- Rinse the skin with warm water and apply some olive oil.
4. Aloe Vera:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Fresh aloe vera leaf.
Are you looking for a simple yet effective home remedy to deal with perioral dermatitis? Fresh aloe vera gel is the go-to remedy. The cool gel extracted from the leaf not only soothes the inflamed skin, it also helps get rid of the itchiness and burning sensation that accompanies this skin condition. Other benefits of using this remedy include its excellent antimicrobial properties that help prevent infections as well as its ability to moisturize the skin effectively.
- Cut the freshly plucked aloe vera leaf at an angle in order to increase the surface area for the extraction of the gel.
- Collect the gel and then apply it on the affected skin.
- Do this severally each day in order to treat perioral dermatitis effectively.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Part apple cider vinegar, 3 parts warm water and cotton wool.
Apple cider vinegar (abbreviated ACV) has long been used as an effective home remedy for the natural treatment of perioral dermatitis. While it is generally effective for healthy glowing skin, it is also beneficial for skin affected by this condition. Apple cider vinegar is rich in malic acid which nourishes the skin and enhances speedy healing. Other healing properties present in the vinegar include anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
NOTE: You need to dilute the vinegar before use to avoid adverse skin irritation. If you are concerned about this and have sensitive skin, it helps to carry out a patch test first in order to determine the remedy’s efficiency. If you experience a stinging or burning sensation, it is advisable to cease the use of this remedy.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar in the ratio 1:3 for the ACV:water respectively.
- Soak the cotton wool in the mixture and use it to apply the remedy on the flaky papules.
- Use this remedy at least thrice daily for quick healing.
6. Natural Yogurt:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Cup of natural yogurt and cotton wool. Apple cider vinegar (optional).
There is little doubt that natural yogurt makes for an excellent remedy for healthy glowing skin, and this is exactly why it is recommended for the natural cure of perioral dermatitis. Natural yogurt goes a long way in reducing the skin irritation as well as getting rid of the stinging sensation that characterizes this condition. Apple cider vinegar is added to the yogurt to make it more effective.
- Add a few drops of the apple cider vinegar to the natural yogurt if you opt to, otherwise you could simply use the yogurt on its own.
- Place the cotton wool in the yogurt (mixture) and use it to apply to the affected skin.
- Use this remedy twice daily until the perioral dermatitis clears.
7. Virgin Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Virgin coconut oil and a water bath.
Virgin coconut oil, like the aforementioned home remedies, has excellent healing properties that help you deal with perioral dermatitis. Its efficiency is attributed to the presence of lauric acid and a host of antimicrobial properties. In addition to this, it is a perfect moisturizer that goes a long way in getting rid of the scaling and crustiness of the affected skin. Since coconut oil tends to solidify a lot more often, you will need a water bath to warm and melt it prior to application.
- Place the coconut oil in a shallow bowl and place it in the water bath.
- Once the coconut oil has melted, simply apply it on the affected skin.
- Use this remedy thrice daily, and preferably at bedtime too.
8. Neem Leaves:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: A handful of neem leaves (dry), 1 tablespoon each of turmeric powder, sesame oil and warm water. You will also need a grinder.
Neem leaves (also known as Indian Lilac) are an excellent choice of remedy for the natural treatment of perioral dermatitis. The leaves are beneficial for the affected skin as they help prevent infections while relieving you of the pain and itchiness. Sesame oil is added to provide a medium for the application of the remedy as well as for its healing properties. Turmeric on the other hand, works as a potent anti-inflammatory, and therefore makes for a great addition to this remedy.
- Grind the dry leaves well before adding the rest of the remedies.
- Sprinkle the turmeric powder on the ground neem leaves and mix well before adding the sesame oil.
- Mix the three well so that you have a paste that you can use for topical application.
- Apply a thick paste on the affected skin and leave on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Use this remedy daily until the reddened papules heal.
9. Slippery Elm:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: A few slippery elm leaves, pestle and mortar and warm water.
Slippery elm is one of the best home remedies for the natural treatment of perioral dermatitis. This is because it has a high mucilage content whose mucus content helps moisturize the skin as well as enhance healing. Moisturization comes in handy because it prevents the skin from forming additional crusts, thus ensuring speedy Follow the directions below to get the best of slippery elm.
- Clean the leaves and proceed to chop into small pieces.
- Place the leaves in a mortar and crush using the pestle in order to release the mucus content which is what you need for this remedy.
- Once crushed, apply the resulting paste on the skin and let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Wash off the paste.
- Repeat twice daily until you notice that the condition has improved and the reddened papules have healed.
10. Additional Tips for the Natural Treatment of Perioral Dermatitis:
- Ensure that you stay away from makeup and cosmetics until the condition has cleared. The reason for this is that these varied products could worsen the skin irritation and therefore prolong the period of healing. At this point, perhaps it is only proper to mention that steroidal-based products may work for a period of time, but when discontinued, trigger a flare-up. In simple terms, your skin gets accustomed to the products so that their withdrawal wrecks havoc.
- Take a healthy diet to ensure that your skin gets the nutrients it needs to ward off the inflammation.
- You may add Vitamin supplements to your diet as these contribute to the healing process of the condition. They also boost your immune system.
- Look out for allergens that may be present in your diet if you are susceptible to allergic reactions. Some of the most common culprits include gluten, casein (found in milk and milk products) as well as nuts.