Leukorrhea is a medical term that refers to the presence of vaginal discharge whose color ranges between white and yellow, and is usually released in between a woman’s menstrual cycle. The discharge may also be produced during pregnancy. Its consistency varies, and may be thin or viscous thick. The discharge produced lasts anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks. For the most part, the discharge is nothing to worry about. In fact, it is a normal pat of the reproductive cycle, and is deemed normal provided it does not cause a burning sensation, itching or an odor. It however, causes discomfort, hence the need for women to get a solution.
The production of this discharge is a result of fluctuations in the hormone levels depending on the particular stage of one’s cycle. More specifically, the increased production is triggered by an upsurge in the levels of estrogen hormone. Other triggers of leukorrhea include a change in the use of personal products, trauma to the vagina as well as varied medical conditions. There are pharmaceutical products that you can use to treat the condition. The good news, however, is that you also have the option of simple home remedies that have minimal side effects. A point if caution is provided for expectant women: ensure that your choice of home remedy from the list below is guided following consultation with your gynecologist.
1. Okra (Also Known as Lady’s Finger):
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 1 Bowl of okra, 2 cups of water, a strainer and raw organic honey.
Okra, also known as Lady’s finger, is one of the best home remedies for treating leukorrhea. This is because it is extremely mucilaginous, and works to effectively get rid of excess mucus from your system. Vaginal discharge constitutes mucus, so by reducing the latter’s amount, you are able to deal with this condition. Okra is also a great source of nutrients, so there are multiple benefits of using this home remedy to treat leukorrhea. Prepare the okra as indicated in the steps below.
- Wash the okra well and proceed to chop it into small pieces.
- Place the chopped okra in a pan and add the water.
- Turn the heat on and allow to boil until you have just about half of the amount of water you had originally.
- Turn the heat off at this point and pass the mixture through a strainer.
- Discard the okra and keep the solution you just strained.
- Divide the solution, which is the remedy in this case, into three equal parts.
- Add the honey to each of the portions, and drink thrice daily.
- Use this remedy until you notice an improvement.
2. Bark Extracts From Fig and Banyan Trees:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon each of the bark of the Fig and banyan tree, a grinder, 1 liter of warm water and a clean towel. Figs and a bowl of water (optional)
The bark extracts obtained from both the fig and banyan tree make for an excellent home remedy used in the treatment of leukorrhea. The healing properties found in the mixed extract allow the vagina to retain its optimal pH, in turn regulating the amount of discharge produced.The recommended way of using this remedy is to boil the mixed extract and use the resulting solution for douching purposes. In addition, the fig boasts excellent laxative properties that go a long way in reducing the toxin load in the body. In the absence of the bark extract from the Banyan tree, you can always use the figs alone as listed in the second set of instructions below.
Method 1: Preparing a douching solution:
- Place equal amounts of the dried bark obtained from both trees in a grinder. Grind to obtain a fine powder.
- Transfer the powder to a shallow basin and pour in the water.
- Stir to mix evenly before using the solution to douche.
- Wipe the vaginal area using a clean towel.
- This is a remedy which you can use at least once daily for best results.
Method 2: Using figs only:
- In the absence of the barks from both trees, you can always use figs with the same healing effects.
- Soak the figs in a bowl of warm water overnight.
- The next morning, transfer the soaked figs to a blender and turn on to get a paste-like substance.
- Indulge in this, preferably on an empty stomach for best results.
3. Fenugreek Seeds:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of fenugreek seeds, 3 cups of water, a strainer and a clean towel. Alternatively, use 1 teaspoon of the seeds, 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of raw organic honey.
Fenugreek seeds are a preferred home remedy for an array of medical conditions, thanks to the abundance of their healing properties. When treating leukorrhea, the seeds not only soothe the skin, they also impact the mucous membranes across different parts of the body. The lining of the vaginal wall is rich in mucus, so taking Fenugreek seeds helps ease any discomfort of the membranes, thus regulating the amount of mucus produced. When boiled and the resulting solution used as vaginal douche, the seeds help maintain the normal pH range of the vagina. Lastly, the seeds also work to improve the body’s immunity. If you need to address leukorrhea, fenugreek seeds are a good place to start in the use of natural remedies.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the fenugreek seeds in a pan and pour in the water.
- Boil the mixture for half an hour.
- Once boiled, pass the mixture through a strainer and save the solution strained.
- Allow the solution to cool until it attains a comfortable temperature.
- Use this solution to douche.
- Follow this procedure and douche at least thrice daily for best results.
- Place 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a bowl and add water before soaking overnight (or for a period of 10-12 hours).
- In the morning, pass the mixture through a strainer and discard the used seeds.
- Add the honey to the solution and stir before drinking.
- The best time to use this remedy is in the morning, on an empty stomach to facilitate for the quick absorption of the seeds’ nutrients.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 2 Ripe bananas
Bananas are an easy and effective home remedy for the natural treatment of leukorrhea. The texture of this delicious fruit works to soothe the digestive system as well as ease the discomfort that accompanies leukorrhea. Additional benefits of bananas include instant source of energy and a supply of key nutrients required for the optimal function of the reproductive system.
- Simply take bananas at least once daily (most preferably on an empty stomach for best results).
5. The Root of the Amaranth Plant:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: Amaranth root, grinder and 2 cups of water. Fresh amaranth leaves (optional).
The root of the Amaranth plant is an ideal home remedy for the treatment of leukorrhea. This is largely because the plant’s root has compounds that are integral to the health and function of the female reproductive system. The presence of antibacterial properties also helps ward off potential infections that may accompany the excessive production of the vaginal discharge (particularly when it is thick). The remedy also doubles up as a nutritional benefit as it is a rich source of fiber.
- Peel and clean the root properly before using this remedy.
- Chop the root well and transfer to a grinder.
- If you opt to use the amaranth leaves, add them to the remedy at this point.
- Grind the root to get a powder which you then add warm water to.
- Stir to get rid of any lump-like formations and drink on an empty stomach.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV):
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Glass each of ACV and warm water and a clean towel.
Passed down the years, Apple cider vinegar has long been considered a reliable remedy in the treatment of leukorrhea. This is because ACV helps regulate the pH levels of the vagina, and this in turn helps control the production of mucus. dditional benefits include the remedy’s antiseptic properties which compliment one’s personal hygiene. Moderate use of the remedy is advised to ensure that vaginal flora levels remain undisturbed. As a general guide, when shopping for ACV, look out for that which is raw and unfiltered as it has no additives and is best suited for use as a natural remedy.
- Mix equal amounts of the ACV and warm water.
- Use the resulting solution to rinse the vagina and allow to dry.
- Pat the vagina using a clean towel to ensure dryness.
- Use this remedy thrice weekly until you are able to treat leukorrhea.
7. Turmeric Paste:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of turmeric powder, some warm water and 2 cloves of garlic.
The use of turmeric for the treatment of leukorrhea is provided as a natural solution, thanks to the healing properties present in this herb. One of the challenges posed by leukorrhea is the possibility of infections in the vaginal area. Turmeric’s antibacterial properties help keep this in check by offering protection of the vaginal area. You may add garlic to compliment the herb’s healing properties. garlic is not only a potent antibacterial, it is also an excellent antiviral, its pungent smell notwithstanding. Use this remedy whenever you get leukorrhea, especially in cases where is it accompanied by slight discomfort and/or irritation of the vaginal area.
- Add a few drops of water to the turmeric to create a paste of your desired consistency.
- Set the paste aside and proceed to prepare the garlic. Peel, clean and chop the garlic before mincing.
- Add the minced garlic to the paste and consume this mixture.
- If you find the paste a little too overwhelming, consider adding it to any of your meals.
8. Simple Tips to Follow
While the remedies below offer an effective solution, it helps to take on simple tips to reduce the chances that leukorrhea will progress to create an irritating condition. These include:
- Observe personal hygiene as uncleanliness only compounds the challenges of leukorrhea. This means washing the vaginal area well every day and drying it properly. Additionally, clean underwear everyday, and if possible, allow to dry in the sun.
- In the same regard, choose underwear that fits properly, and avoid extremely tight undergarments as this creates the perfect environment for bacterial multiplication, thanks to the heat and friction.
- In cases where leukorrhea manifests as a thick discharge, you may opt to wear a panty liner to reduce the discomfort; just make sure you change regularly.
iv) Observe your diet: wheat products, sugary treats and processed snacks tend to act as irritants for many people, and worsen leukorrhea. Go for fresh fruits and vegetables instead for a healthier lifestyle and easy management of leukorrhea..
- Increase your fluid intake and make sure you stay hydrated to allow for proper toxin removal.
- It helps to maintain an active lifestyle in order to ensure that your body is able to better handle the challenges of hormonal fluctuations.
- Lastly, if you do not notice any improvements, or suffer from other conditions, make sure you get a medical appointment to find out whether there could be any underlying issues.