The kidneys are two bean-shaped organs located in the abdomen, and which are very important in the elimination of waste and toxins from the body. In addition to waste removal, the kidneys are also tasked with producing three key hormones in the body, namely renin, erythropoietin as well as calcitriol.
Renin hormone is integral to the control of blood pressure in the body alongside a number of physiological functions. Calcitriol on the other hand, is a steroid-based hormone that plays a key role in the regulation of calcium and phosphorous levels in the body. It is the bio active form of Vitamin D, and it helps in bone mineralization. Erythropoietin is a hormone that the kidney produces to enhance the formation of red blood cells in the bone marrow.
These vital functions that run round the clock make the kidneys one of the most important organs in the body. These organs are, for the most part, self-cleansing. It is very important however, to ensure that you support the functions of the kidneys in order to keep the body’s overall health in check.Failure to do so not only causes the accumulation of toxins in the system, it also disrupts the blood pressure levels and affects the functioning of other organs in the body. In severe cases, this may cause more severe conditions such as kidney stones. A balanced diet, coupled with some of the home remedies listed below should help you with kidney flushing.
NOTE: You need to consult your doctor before using any of the remedies indicated below if you already suffer from diseases affecting the kidney or are on medication. This is done to avoid complications in the case of pre-existing conditions as well as to prevent drug interactions which may have adverse side effects.
1. Drinking Water:
Time Required: Spread throughout the day
What You Need: Enough drinking water
One of the simplest and most straightforward home remedies for kidney flush is drinking water. Staying hydrated is directly related to the optimal functioning of the kidneys. Water helps clean the kidneys by getting rid of compounds that may crystallize, leading to the formation of kidney stones. It also prevents damage to the kidneys by preventing the entry of muscle fiber into the circulatory system, a condition that commonly occurs when one indulges in intense workouts without hydrating. Staying hydrated is the number one remedy which should be done as a matter of necessity.
- It is important to stay hydrated all day to ensure that the kidneys are flushed on a regular basis. The amount of water one is required to take is often pegged at 8 glasses daily, but there are a number of factors that may interfere with this figure, including the presence of chronic diseases, the period prior to and after surgery as well as the external environment.
NOTE: As a general guide, there is a very simple way to know whether one is dehydrated. Simply take a look at the colour of urine. Very dark urine whose colour resembles that of tea is indicative of severe dehydration while the reverse is true. Clear or pale yellow urine is often an indication of good hydration.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 2 Celery ribs, a bunch of fresh parsley, 1 carrot, 1 cucumber and a juicer.
Celery is one of nature’s most powerful diuretics, and a potent remedy recommended for kidney flushing. As a diuretic, celery allows for the elimination of toxins by increasing the volume of urine excreted. Additionally, celery is also rich in essential nutrients that improve the health of the kidney. Research indicates that regular intake of celery helps prevent the formation of kidney stones and reduces the risk of infections. You may either take celery juice on its own, or opt for mixed juice using the ingredients mentioned above.
- Prepare celery juice by chopping the celery ribs and juicing them until you have your desired amount.
- Alternatively, clean the following vegetables before chopping and transferring them to a juicer: the celery ribs, the fresh parsley, carrot and cucumber.
- Once juiced, drink 1 glass daily for a month or so to ensure kidney flushing is done well.
3. Dandelion Root:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of dandelion root, 1 cup of water, a strainer and honey/stevia to taste. Dandelion tea bags (optional).
Research studies show that dandelion root is a potent diuretic whose ability to increase urine production makes it one of the best home remedies for kidney flushing. These healing properties help cleanse the liver and get rid of toxins that may accumulate in the renal system. Another benefit of using dandelion root is that it provides relief from water retention in the body, and these helps prevent swellings in the affected parts of the body. This remedy is also important in soothing an irritated urinary tract so as to reduce the chances of kidney infections.
NOTE: Caution should be exercised when using this herb as it poses the risk of interacting with other drugs. Consult your doctor prior to using this remedy.
- Place the dried dandelion root in 1 cup of water and transfer to a pan.
- Heat the mixture for about 5 minutes and then switch off the heat.
- Let the tea mixture steep for some 10 minutes before straining.
- Add honey or stevia to act as a natural sweetener.
- Drink dandelion tea once daily to aid in kidney cleansing.
- You may also follow the same procedure using dandelion teabags for the remedy preparation.
4. Stinging Nettle:
Time Required: 2 Min
What You Need: 2 Teaspoons of dried stinging nettle, 1 cup of hot water, a strainer, and some honey.
Stinging nettle is one of the most popular home remedies for carrying out kidney flush. This is attributed to its diuretic properties which, by definition, mean that the herb increases the production of urine. In doing so, the herb increases the elimination of waste from the renal system. This is very important since when done regularly, it helps prevent toxins from accumulating. Additionally, stinging nettle also prevents the formation of crystals that often lead to kidney stones, effectively decreasing the chances of getting kidney infections. One of the easiest ways to prepare the herb is to prepare it as a tea by following the simple directions indicated below.
NOTE: Stinging nettle may interact with drugs used to treat hypertension, kidney disorders, diabetes and blood thinning, so make sure you consult your doctor before embarking on this remedy.
- Place the dried stinging nettle in a cup containing hot water and stir.
- Leave the mixture to steep for 5-10 minutes before straining it.
- Stir in some honey and let the tea cool for a few minutes.
- Drink this stinging nettle tea twice daily for improved kidney function.
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: 1 Glass of lemonade.
Lemonade is recommended for kidney flushing because it is laden with citric acid that helps maintain the kidney in great working condition. This acid plays an important role in reducing the rate at which kidney stones form by disintegrating the crystals that accumulate in the kidneys. As a fluid, the lemonade also helps to cleanse the kidneys by increasing urine output. Take advantage of this remedy and carry out kidney flush on a regular basis.
- Take 1 glass of lemonade (preferably unsweetened) each morning on an empty stomach to get the best of the remedy’s kidney flushing properties.
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 2 Teaspoons of fresh parsley (chopped), 1 cup of boiling water and a strainer. Alternatively, use 1/2 cup of parsley juice, 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and honey.
Parsley is one of Mother Nature’s most powerful home remedies for carrying out kidney flushing. Like many of the remedies mentioned above, parsley works as a diuretic herb that encourages the production of urine. This diuretic effect is attributed to the presence of two main compounds, namely myristicin and apiol. Studies indicate that increased intake of parsley in its different preparations leads to far fewer toxins in the body, which ultimately helps cleanse the kidneys. Prepare the remedy by following any of the steps indicated below.
NOTE: Parsley is not recommended for pregnant women.
Preparing Parsley Tea
- Place the freshly chopped parsley in a cup containing hot boiling water and cover to allow steeping.
- After 5 minutes, strain the mixture and drink the parsley tea two times daily.
Preparing Kidney flush drink using Parsley
- Mix the parsley juice with water and lemonade.
- Stir in some honey and drink twice daily for about three weeks.
- You may also add the parsley to your salad to improve kidney function.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon each of turmeric powder and ginger powder, 2 cups of boiling water, a strainer, the juice of one lemon and 1 tablespoon of honey to taste.
Turmeric is a popular herb for the natural treatment of an array of diseases, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and cleansing properties. When it comes to carrying out a kidney flush, turmeric plays the role of cleansing the kidneys and also aids in the elimination of toxins from the liver. Another important function of turmeric is that it works to purify the blood, allowing for the elimination of toxins from the bloodstream. Its anti-inflammatory properties come in handy to contain pain and inflammation that may result from infections affecting the kidney. Follow the directions below to prepare turmeric for kidney flush.
NOTE: Since turmeric plays a key role in blood purification, it should not be used by anyone taking blood-thinning medication.
- Mix the turmeric and ginger powder well before pouring in two cups of boiling water.
- Heat the mixture on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and strain the mixture before adding the juice of 1 lemon and some honey.
- Take this remedy daily for kidney cleansing.
- It also helps to add raw turmeric to your daily diet.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Small red beetroot, 1 carrot, 2 celery stalks, 1 large apple, 1/2 a lemon and an inch of raw ginger.
Beets and beet juice are an ideal home remedy for carrying out kidney flush. This is because they contain betaine, a potent phytochemical that helps fight off free radicals in the body, thus preventing damage of the kidney cells. Its antioxidant properties also come in handy in maintaining the optimal function of the kidney. Studies also reveal that beets increase the acidic value of the urine. This is an important function because it prevents the accumulation of calcium phosphate, effectively reducing the chances of crystal formation. When this calcium is eliminated from the kidneys, it allows the kidney to work optimally. Use beets as indicated in the directions below.
NOTE: Pure beetroot juice is very strong, so avoid using it alone. Instead, always mix it up with sweet fruits and vegetables to potentially steer clear of adverse side effects.
- Clean all the vegetables and fruits and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Chop the beetroot into long thin slices and set aside.
- Cut the apple in half and discard the core. Add it to the chopped beet.
- Peel the carrot and cut in long pieces before doing the same for the celery stalks.
- Transfer the chopped fruits, vegetables and ginger to the juicer and place a glass just beneath the nozzle.
- Process the mixture and take 1 glass of juice.
- Add the fresh lemon juice to the mixture and serve in a chilled glass. It is advisable to drink this juice immediately.
Used regularly, the above remedies are an excellent way to cleanse the kidneys. Other helpful tips that will aid this process include reducing salt intake as this increases the amount of calcium that has to be eliminated by the kidneys, avoiding processed foods which often increase the toxin load in the body as well as indulging in ‘kidney-cleanse’ foods. These foods are loaded with electrolytes and have a high concentration of antioxidants, and they include cranberries, seaweed and blueberries. As mentioned above, it is best to consult your doctor before using any of these home remedies.