Jaundice is a medical condition that causes the skin and eyes to acquire a yellow coloration. This change results from the accumulation of a compound known as bilirubin. Bilirubin is a product of the natural degradation of old and destroyed red blood cells. It is often eliminated by the liver as is the case with many waste products.
When this does not happen as it should, bilirubin increases in circulation. When bilirubin is deposited in the blood in high concentration, the yellow coloration is the first symptom to show. Other symptoms of jaundice include the excretion of stool that is pale-colored as well as passing of very dark urine. In some cases, jaundice may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, weight loss and abdominal pain.
The most common form of jaundice is newborn jaundice that typically develops in babies soon after birth, It is important however, to note that jaundice also affects adults. Since the condition is an indication that something is wrong with the liver and gall bladder, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. In addition to this medical intervention, there are a handful of natural remedies that you may use for the treatment of jaundice. These are options that should only be incorporated as an adjunct therapy.
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1/4 Teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 glass of warm water, a dash of cayenne pepper as well as 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
Turmeric is an excellent remedy that aids in the process of liver detoxification, effectively improving the process of bilirubin elimination from the blood. This also works to reduce the concentration of harmful toxins in the blood. Turmeric is able to achieve this through the presence of a potent active ingredient known as curcumin. Overall, turmeric will help you make a full recovery.
- Mix the turmeric powder with the cayenne pepper before adding a glass of warm water.
- Add the raw honey to sweeten the mixture and stir to mix well.
- Drink this mixture at least once daily and monitor the progress made as far as the symptoms of jaundice are concerned.
2. Fresh Sugarcane Juice:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Sugarcane juicer, 1 lemon and a few mint leaves.
One of the symptoms of jaundice, in addition to the yellowing of the skin and eyes, is low energy levels and general body fatigue. To avert this fatigue, it helps to take sugarcane juice. Sugarcane is a natural source of energy whose fructose content is an excellent source of energy. The sugar present in the juice is easy to digest, and increases your energy levels, making it easy to recover quickly. Additionally, sugarcane juice is alkaline, and this comes in handy in the natural treatment of jaundice as it reduces the body’s acidity following the high concentration of bilirubin.
NOTE: Ensure you get a juicer that is specifically designed for sugarcane as the conventional juicer cannot handle the stress of sugarcane juice.
- Chop off the hard covering found on the sugarcane and feed the cane into the juicer.
- Collect 1 glass of juice and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon and mix it with the sugarcane.
- You may add a few mint leaves to improve the taste of the juice and make it a refreshing option.
- Drink the sugarcane juice at lest twice daily, particularly when you feel your energy levels dipping.
3. Raw Ginger:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Small piece of raw ginger (about 1 inch), a couple of mint leaves and the juice of 1 lime. 1 tablespoon of honey (optional).
Raw ginger works to assist in the process of detoxification, and this makes it a handy remedy since it helps the liver function. In getting rid of toxins, the raw ginger helps lower the concentration of the accumulated bilirubin. This is essential to quick recovery from the condition. Add mint leaves and lime juice for a refreshing mixture that should also help kickstart your energy levels.
- Peel and crush the raw ginger so that you are able to extract some of the juice from the raw ginger.
- Add the mint leaves to the crushed ginger and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime and mix it with the crushed ginger and mint.
- Add the honey, mix well and take this remedy at least thrice daily for a fortnight or until you notice an improvement in the symptoms that accompany jaundice.
4. Raw Tomatoes:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 5 Raw tomatoes, a pan containing hot water, a sieve as well as a dash of salt and pepper.
Raw tomatoes are rich in antioxidants which help prevent the liver from further damage as is the case when one gets jaundice. In addition, tomatoes are popular for their high concentration of lycopene which helps improve the process of recovery. As a potent detoxifier, tomatoes are an excellent addition as they effectively get rid of toxins and keep the concentration of bilirubin in check. Follow the directions below to prepare the tomatoes and get the best of this remedy.
- The first thing you need to do is to blanch the tomatoes as follows. Boil some water in a pan and turn off the heat once boiled.
- Place the tomatoes in the pan for a couple of minutes. This is key because it makes it easy to get rid of the tomato skin and extract the juice with ease.
- Remove the tomatoes from the hot water and then get to remove the skin.
- Transfer the skinned tomatoes to a blender in order to get the juice.
- If you prefer, you may pass the juice through a sieve to ensure it is lump-free.
- Add the salt and pepper before stirring well.
- Take this tomato juice at least once daily, and make sure one of those times is in the morning (on an empty stomach for best results).
- Use this remedy for at least 3 weeks and keep checking on the progress you have made.
5. Licorice Root Tea:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of licorice root (powdered), a pinch of rock salt, chicory seeds and some warm water
One of the most potent liver detoxifiers present in the world of natural remedies is licorice root. Licorice is best known for its popular use in the candy industry, but many people are not aware of its immense healing abilities. Licorice root plays a key role in preventing the accumulation of toxic products of the boy’s metabolic processes. By helping the liver eliminate these toxins, licorice helps reduce bilirubin concentration in circulation. Over a period of time, the jaundice symptoms should start reducing.
- Mix all the ingredients and crush to a fine powder using a pestle and mortar.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of this licorice root mixture and add to 1 glass of water.
- Drink this mixture at least twice daily for a couple of weeks.
The second option involves remedy preparation using the licorice root powder, ginger and lemon juice prepares as follows:
- Crush the licorice root to get a fine powder.
- Add the ginger and crush the mixture together.
- Transfer the root and ginger mixture to a pan and add 1 cup of water.
- Boil the mixture for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice at this point and stir.
- Drink this remedy once daily for a couple of weeks until you get relief from jaundice.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Fresh radish leaves, juicer and basil leaves (optional addition). You may also use fresh radishes
Radishes have long been used for the natural treatment of jaundice. With its blood cleansing properties, this is a simple and reliable choice for the management of jaundice symptoms. The active compounds present in radishes are excellent in eliminating toxins from the blood, and this is inclusive of bilirubin in high concentrations. The advantage of using this home remedy is that it provides the option of using either the radishes themselves or opting for the leaves in the natural treatment of jaundice. Follow the simple set of directions outlined below to get the best of this remedy.
- If you opt to use the fresh radishes, make sure you eat black radishes at least once every morning. Add the radishes to your salad or soup for diverse options.
- When using fresh radish leaves, first clean them up before chopping into pieces.
- Transfer the radish leaves to a juicer to extract the juice.
- Crush the fresh basil leaves and add to the radish juice.
- Stir well and take this remedy once daily to help you make a full recovery from jaundice.
- Use the remedy for a couple of weeks and keep tabs of how the condition improves.
7. Excellent Dietary Tips For The Easy Management of Jaundice:
Time Required: Varies according to the choice of dietary change
What You Need: To make dietary changes that help lower the amount of bilirubin in circulation.
Jaundice, as aforementioned, results from the malfunction of the liver so that there’s excess accumulation of bilirubin in blood circulation. One of the broad remedies recommended for the natural management of this condition revolves around making dietary changes to ease the symptoms and enhance recovery. Below are some of the handy tips that a jaundice patient can benefit from. The changes may vary from one individual to another. If you are concerned about the effects of these diet changes on your health, consult your doctor and let them know some of the changes you intend to make.
Handy tips to use when making dietary changes
- Increased fluid intake is key in the treatment of jaundice because it helps flush excess toxins from the body, among them, bilirubin. Drink adequate amounts of water to stay hydrated. Other fluids that you may choose from include soups, broths and fresh fruit juices. As a general guide, stay away from canned juices, soft drinks and alcohol. It is also recommended that you steer clear of caffeinated drinks as these cause dehydration, which in turn increases the concentration of bilirubin that accumulates in the body.
- Avoid processed foods as much as you can. Such foods are high in cholesterol, which not only increases the amount of dietary fat, but also makes it hard for the liver to function. Deep-fried foods and baked pastries are common culprits in this category. Opt instead for healthy food options to reduce the burden on the liver.
- Add fresh fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. Do not forget to add lean protein sources to your food to speed up the process of recovery.
- Take frequent small-portioned meals during the day as opposed to 3 large meals. This eases the burden of digestion and improves liver function.
8. Treatment of Infant Jaundice:
Time Required: Varies from one infant to another
What You Need: Frequent feedings (whether breastfeeding or formula feeding).
In mild cases of infant jaundice, it is recommended for moms to increase feeding sessions in order to reduce the severity of jaundice. Frequent feedings work for infants because they provide more milk, which in turn triggers more bowel movements, and this helps increase the amount of bilirubin excreted in the infant’s stool. The number of feedings vary among infants, and will usually range from 8 to 12 feedings daily in the first few days of life. Infants fed on formula have the volume of formula measured for each feed. Follow this remedy alongside your doctor’s recommendations.
- Moms are advised to increase the number of feedings to encourage the elimination of bilirubin.
- Contact your doctor to get clarifications on any concerns you may have concerning your infant’s health.
Other home remedies for the natural treatment of jaundice include the chicory plant which improves liver function, snake gourd leaves as well as chamomile tea. Jaundice is rarely fatal, but must be addressed with urgency to prevent liver complications. Use these home remedies alongside any medical treatment provided to manage the symptoms of jaundice.