One of the most dreaded hair problems one can encounter is the presence of split ends – and for good reason. These split ends not only take away from the beauty of the hair, but also make it difficult to manage hair. Split ends, by definition, refer to part of the hair shaft that are frayed. At the core of this condition is the cumulative stress that causes the outer layer of the hair cuticle to wear out.
This stress may be due to too much heat, mechanical pressure as well as chemical-induced stress that eats away at the hair shaft’s protective layer. In addition to these main stressors, poor nutrition and bad hair techniques may also worsen the condition, especially for those with very long hair.
Ideally, the best way to manage split ends is to chop off the hair. This is recommended because if left unchecked, the split ends continue fraying before eventually breaking off. This has the effect of snipping your hair length. Trimming, however, is not always a viable solution particularly for those chasing after length.
The good news is that there are simple natural household ingredients that you can use to keep the split ends in control. As with many natural remedies, the efficiency of these home remedies is dependent on consistency and hair type. As such, allow ample time to find out what works for your hair.
1. Egg Hair Mask:
Egg is one of the best natural household ingredients to keep split ends in check. This is because egg, especially the yolk, is laden with proteins that improve the growth of your hair’s strands. Proper growth and increased strength ensures that the shaft is less likely to split.
Additionally, the egg also works as a great moisturizer. Remember, dry hair is more prone to getting split ends, so moisturize your hair adequately. Below are simple steps on how to apply egg to hair. You may add natural oils to compliment the function of the egg. These may include olive, almond or jojoba oil.
How to Apply
- Crack the egg and place it in a glass.
- Add a few drops of your preferred oil and raw organic honey to the egg and beat the mixture.
- Apply the mixture to the hair and massage the scalp for a minute or two.
- Wear a shower cap for an hour to seal in the egg’s effects.
- Rinse off the mask using cool water. Avoid using hot water as this is set to cook the egg and undoubtedly makes it more difficult to get rid of the egg.
- Repeat this procedure on every hair wash day.
2. Ripe Pawpaw:
Ripe pawpaw is not only good for your health, it is also an excellent natural household ingredient for the management of split ends. Pawpaw is rich in folic acid which plays a key role in the management of split ends. In addition to this, folic acid also enhances blood circulation within the scalp.
Proper blood circulation nourishes the scalp and the hair follicles, which in effect, prevents split ends and helps to reduce frizzy hair. Pawpaw also has a high concentration of Vitamin A that encourages sebum production.
Sebum is the natural oil that is produced by the scalp, which helps to moisturize it and maintain the hair’s growth. You may add yogurt to the fruit as described in the steps below.
How to Apply
- Peel the pawpaw fruit and chop it into sizable pieces.
- Add 1/2 a cup of yogurt to it and blend the two ingredients.
- Apply the resulting mixture on the hair and cover with a shower cap for 45 minute – 1 hour.
- Rinse off the mixture using cold water and follow through with your hair routine procedure.
Avocado’s goodness is not only limited to its delicious taste and creamy texture; it is also a simple way to manage split ends. It is packed with nutrients that soften, nourish and strengthen hair strands.
These nutrients include protein that makes the hair strong and less prone to splitting, essential fatty acids that ensure proper hair development as well as folic acid. Avocado is also rich in Vitamin e which stimulates growth and moisturizes hair. Add olive oil to this ingredient to prepare the hair mask.
How to Apply
- Peel one ripe avocado and cut it in small pieces to enable easy mashing.
- Add four teaspoons of olive/ coconut oil to the mashed avocado until you attain a creamy consistency. This makes for easy application.
- Scoop the mixture and apply generously on the hair.
- Leave the mixture on the hair for half an hour before rinsing off and shampooing as usual.
- Do this at least once a week until you notice an improvement in your hair’s condition, that is, with less split ends.
Did you know that your favorite tipple could hold the solution to your hair’s split ends? Beer is rich in proteins and sugars, two of the most important nutrients as far as healthy hair is concerned.
When applied on the hair, the two key ingredients repair damaged hair and go a long way in controlling split ends. Additional benefits of using beer include increasing hair volume as well as conditioning the hair.
NOTE: The best way to use beer is in its flat state. Fizzy beer may damage the structure of the hair.
How to Apply
- Flat beer is best applied to damp clean hair, preferably after shampooing
- Rinse your hair with the flat beer and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- Wash off the beer and moisturize before styling.
- Use this remedy at least once weekly until you are able to manage the split ends.
5. Raw Organic Honey:
Honey is a timeless remedy for many conditions that affect the skin and scalp, but are you aware of its amazing effects on damaged hair? Well known for its healing properties, honey is an easy remedy to use for the elimination of split ends.
It is a nutrient rich household ingredient that strengthens the hair follicles as well as moisturizes it, effectively eliminating a dry scalp. What’s more, honey has anti-bacterial properties which help keep the scalp infection-free.
Overall, honey is good for scalp and hair. Additional ingredients include olive oil and egg. These are added to prevent hair from getting extremely messy and gooey.
How to Apply
Applying honey only will create a messy situation. Here’s how to get the benefits of honey without the mess
- Prepare hair mask by mixing the honey, olive oil and egg together.
- Apply this mixture on the hair and scalp and leave it on for between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
- Wash off the hair mask and use this weekly to get rid of split ends.
Mayonnaise is not just great for salads; it is also an excellent ingredient for preventing split ends. Typically, mayonnaise is made using, among other ingredients, egg and oils.
Both of these have been mentioned above for a good reason. In the absence of natural oils and eggs, mayonnaise makes for an excellent substitute.
Note, however, that mayo tends to leave a distinct odour a few days after application, so if you find this repulsive, you may opt to use any of the aforementioned remedies.
How to Apply
It is advisable to apply mayonnaise on wet hair.
- You will need at least half a cup of mayonnaise, but this may vary depending on the length of your hair.
- Massage the mayo in well and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the mayonnaise and shampoo as usual.
- Do this once weekly until you are content with the progress made.
7. Coconut Oil:
It is virtually impossible to list natural household ingredients for the management of split ends without including coconut oil. One of the most effective ways to improve the health of your hair, coconut oil does not disappoint when it comes to fixing annoying split ends.
The presence of medium chain triglycerides in the oil aid in healthy development of the hair follicles while strengthening the hair strands. Additionally, coconut oil also nourishes the hair. Below are simple steps to follow when applying the oil. It is recommended to start with freshly shampooed and damp hair for best benefits.
How to Apply
- Place the coconut oil on the palms of your hands and apply on the hair, from the roots all through to the midpoint of the shaft.
- Once you have done this for the whole scalp, wear a shower cap or wrap the hair in a towel for the heat to allow maximum penetration into the hair shaft.
- Rinse off the oil and shampoo just once more before the final rinse. This is important because left unchecked, natural oils can easily accumulate on the scalp.
- Use coconut oil at least once weekly.
Other natural household ingredients that are ideal for getting rid of split ends include fish oil mask, henna as well as chamomile. Remember, even with these natural solutions, it is important to use the right hair techniques and products for your specific hair type.
Avoid exposing the hair to too much heat as this destroys the protective covering on the hair shaft. Reduce the use of hair styling products and avoid washing the hair with very hot water as this strips the hair and scalp of natural oils. Lastly, remember to reduce exposure to chlorinated water as is the case in swimming pools.