Many people long for clear and glowing skin, and for good reason – the natural beauty of such skin is alluring. For many people however, different conditions come into play and it becomes difficult to get such skin.This is where raw honey comes into play. Raw honey is a treasured home remedy for an array of conditions, among them those that directly affect the skin. The benefits of honey can be traced back to early civilizations when raw honey was used for its amazing healing properties.
Honey is a natural antibacterial and anti-fungal that helps get rid of skin infections. It is also a humectant, which simply means it has excellent moisturizing properties that, when used regularly, keep the skin supple and hydrated.
In addition to these benefits, raw honey is also laden with six vitamins that include niacin, ascorbic acid, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, Vitamin B6 as well as folate, all of which provide some nourishment when applied topically on the skin.It is also important to mention that honey is a natural preservative which means it contains no synthetic additives.
This makes it a perfect accompaniment for your natural skin care routine. The most critical bit when choosing honey for your skin is to make sure that you go for raw and unfiltered honey as this type of honey has not undergone processing. The best way to get the benefits of raw organic honey is to prepare face masks.
Just as the name suggests, these are masks that are applied on the face, and which, depending on the combination, can be used to address specific issues affecting the skin. These may range from acne to dry skin patches to minor wounds and even allergic rashes. Below are some simple ways you can use to get clear and glowing skin with honey face masks.
Tips for Using Honey in your Skincare Routines:
- Raw honey often acquires a granular state when stored in a cool environment. This is perfectly normal as the changes are attributed to temperature changes.
- To get the desired consistency for use in face mask preparation, warm the honey indirectly. Do not HEAT directly as this denatures the honey’s healing properties.
- Simply place the bowl containing honey in a warm bath until it softens for easy application. This step is relevant for the preparation of all the face masks listed below – where applicable.
1. Honey and Nutmeg Face Mask:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of raw honey and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg.
This face mask is best suited for treating acne breakouts on the skin. Honey’s antibacterial properties help get rid of the bacteria in the clogged pores while its anti-inflammatory properties go a long way in reducing inflammation on the skin.
Nutmeg powder on the other hand, compliments honey’s antibacterial properties while eliminating the redness associated with the acne and resulting blackheads. This combination makes the face mask a simple and ideal way to deal with acne while enjoying the soothing properties of honey. You will need to have cleansed your face prior to the application of this mask.
- Mix both the honey and the nutmeg powder until you have a consistent mixture that is easy to apply on the cleansed skin.
- Apply a generous amount of the honey mixture on the skin.
- Follow this by rubbing the facial mask in gentle circular motions.
- Do this gently to avoid aggravating the acne breakouts.
- Leave the mask on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the skin using warm water and follow up with the use of skin moisturizer.
2. Honey and Baking Soda Face Mask:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
The combination of honey and baking soda provides one of the most amazing facial masks available for natural skin care. This is because it makes for a natural scrub.
Baking soda not only acts as an exfoliator that gets rid of dead skin cells, it is also ideal for the removal of blackheads. Additionally, baking soda helps maintain the skin’s normal pH levels. The benefits of this pH balance include the optimal function of the skin pores as well as the destruction of bacteria that cause the blockage of skin pores.
Regular use of this remedy has also been shown to be helpful for the lightening of dark spots on the skin. If you would like to treat blackheads using natural remedies, make honey and baking soda a weekly part of your skincare routine.
- Add the baking soda to the honey and mix until the powder is well dispersed.
- Apply the honey mixture on your face, all the while massaging the skin to allow for proper exfoliation.
- Remember to massage the part of the skin affected by the blackheads.
- Leave the facial mask on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and apply a skin moisturizer to lock in the honey’s healing benefits.
3. Honey and Sugar Scrub:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of honey. 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of granular sugar.
Honey and sugar scrub is a perfect mask for you if you would like to deep clean your face. This is because, as a natural scrub, this mask allows deep exfoliation while cleansing the skin pores.
Honey’s cleansing properties are complimented by the wonderful moisturizing properties of olive oil. What’s more, the oil is rich in Vitamin E which is integral for healthy glowing skin. Sugar is added to this mask because it works excellently as an exfoliator.
The coarse granules present in sugar scrub the skin and help deep cleanse the skin pores. This is an important step because it helps get rid of dirt and bacteria that clogs the skin pores. Regular use of the honey and sugar scrub often reveals clear, glowing skin over a period of time.
- Mix all the ingredients well to prepare the natural scrub.
- Clean the face prior to applying this mask.
- Apply a generous layer of the honey mixture on the skin and rub in circular motions.
- This enhances exfoliation and allows the skin’s pores to ‘breathe’ with ease.
- Leave the scrub on for about 20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Use this facial mask at least once weekly for clear glowing skin.
4. Honey and Banana Mask:
Ingredients: 2 Teaspoons of honey, 1/2 banana (ripe) and 1 teaspoon of pure sweet almond oil.
Prepare a honey and banana face mask to help you deal with dry skin. Honey, as mentioned above, has excellent moisturization properties that come in handy for you if you have dry skin.
Bananas are also great for dry skin because they seal in the moisture and help the skin stay hydrated. Almond oil on the other hand is a necessary addition to this mask, thanks to its light texture that allows easy absorption on the skin.
When the oil is added to the mask, it makes for an excellent hydration regimen that is both easy to prepare and easy to use. Other benefits of using this mask include its ability to eliminate debris from the skin as well as provide potassium to help soothe itchy skin.
- Mash the ripe banana using a fork until you have a smooth paste-like substance. This lump-free mass will make it easy to apply on the skin.
- To the mashed banana, add the almond oil as well as the honey and mix together.
- Apply the mixture on the skin and leave it on for half an hour.
- Rinse off the mask and use an appropriate skin moisturizer.
- Use this remedy daily for the best results.
5. Honey and Turmeric Face Mask:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder.
Treat your skin to a honey and turmeric face mask, one of the best home remedies for dealing with oily skin. One of the key features of oily skin is that its pores release excess amount of sebum, a type of natural oil produced by the skin.
Honey, which is astringent in nature, helps shrink the size of these pores so that the amount of oil produced is reduced significantly. Honey also provides much needed nourishment for the skin. Turmeric is recommended for oily skin because it helps absorb the excess oil while leaving the skin moisturized and hydrated.
Additional benefits of using turmeric in this mask include its ability to maintain the skin’s pH as well as its skin lightening properties. Follow the simple steps below to use this face mask for oily skin.
- Mix the honey with the turmeric so that the turmeric is evenly dispersed in the honey.
- You may want to use a pair of gloves because the turmeric powder stains easily.
- Apply this mask on the skin and let it dry for some 20 minutes or so.
- Rinse the mask off and use a light moisturizer that is not too heavy on the skin.
- Use this remedy at least twice weekly to help manage oily skin.
6. Honey Oatmeal Mask:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of oatmeal.
Combine honey and oatmeal to get a facial mask that provides a smooth scrub. Honey has a soothing effect on the skin, which makes it ideal for those with sensitive skin.
Oatmeal has exfoliating properties which get rid of dead skin and give the skin a natural glow. This is an excellent alternative to sugar for those who have sensitive skin because oatmeal soothes the skin without abrasion.
Honey also works well for sensitive skin because it is both hydrating and nourishing. This combination also helps get rid of acne, so that over time you have clear and glowing skin.
- Combine the ingredients so that you have a smooth scrub that you can use with ease on the skin.
- Apply the scrub and massage gently for some 5 – 10 minutes. Avoid overdoing this to keep skin flare ups at bay.
- After 20 minutes, rinse off the mask with warm water.
- Use this honey face mask at least twice weekly until your skin becomes clear.
7. Honey and Coconut Oil Mask:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
Owing to its amazing health benefits, honey makes up a great part of skin care routines. If you are looking for ways to incorporate honey in your daily cleansing routines, combine it with coconut oil to prepare a simple face mask.
This combination is an excellent natural cleanser, and is particularly good for those whose who often use varied makeup and cosmetic products. Honey is your go-to natural remedy for nourishing the skin and making otherwise dry lifeless skin glow.
On the flip side, coconut oil is not only an excellent moisturizer, it is also packed with antioxidants which help get rid of free radicals. Free radicals attack the skin’s regenerating capacity, resulting in dull skin. The oil’s lauric acid also acts as an antibacterial, making it an effective solution for dealing with skin infections. Mix honey and coconut oil for daily skin care.
- Mix the honey with the coconut oil. If the oil has solidified, warm it indirectly using a water bath.
- Once it is melted, mix it in liquid form with the honey for easy application.
- Apply this mixture on the face, making sure you massage it in for a couple of minutes.
- Use warm water to rinse the mask off and apply your preferred skin moisturizer.
- Apply the honey and coconut oil face mask at least once daily, preferably in the evenings just before bedtime.
- This allows you to get rid of dirt on the skin as well as allow regeneration for healthy glowing skin.
8. Honey and Milk Mask:
Ingredients: 4 Teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of milk.
Treat your skin to the goodness of honey and milk by applying this easy-to-use mask. Honey has a calming effect on the skin, and is also preferred for its ability to nourish the skin. Milk is rich in lactic acid whose capacity to get rid of impurities on the skin makes it an ideal addition.
What’s more, the presence of lactic acid has a lightening effect on the skin, but you would need to use this remedy regularly for this purpose. This mask is recommended for those whose skin gets irritated easily as the milk also soothes and moisturizes the affected parts.
- Add the milk to the honey and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on the skin before massaging it for a couple of minutes.
- Leave the mask on for half an hour to allow the active ingredients work well.
- Rinse the mask off using warm – not hot water if you have sensitive skin – water.
NOTE: It is advisable to stop using skincare products that predispose the skin to irritation and inflammation.
Remember, to enjoy the benefits of honey face masks for healthy skin, it is always recommended that you use raw unfiltered honey. This is because it retains its potent healing properties without any processing or additives. You may try different combinations to get what works best for your skin. In case of any doubts, or if a skin condition does not seem to improve, make sure you seek medical attention from a dermatologist.