The term ‘hangover’ is used to describe a collection of symptoms that accompany excessive intake of alcohol. Not only do these symptoms cause you to feel disoriented, getting regular hangovers has the capacity to affect the quality of one’s life as well as affect one’s performance at their place of work. As a general guide, the higher the amount of alcohol, the greater the likelihood of getting a hangover. It is important for you to know, however, that there is no way to know just how much you can drink without getting a hangover, although some people admit to finding this out through trial and error – this, incidentally, only predisposes you to more hangovers.
Some of the common symptoms of a hangover include increased heart rate, general body aches, vomiting, headaches, impaired motor functioning and stomach pain. For some people, symptoms may include anxiety and nausea. These symptoms arise from the fact that alcohol is a natural diuretic. In the medical world, a diuretic is any substance that enhances the removal of fluids from the body, thus leading to dehydration. There are no magical cures for a hangover, and the only safe way to deal with them is to avoid drinking at all. Most natural remedies used to treat hangovers are effective in addressing the symptoms. Below are some of the options available for you whenever you need to recover from a hangover quickly.
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: 2 Bananas
Bananas are rich in Potassium, and this is the main reason they are recommended for the management of hangovers. Potassium plays a key role in maintaining the electrolyte balance in the body. By snacking on a banana or two, you should be able to restore the levels of Potassium in the body. For those who get stomach pains during a hangover, bananas also work by preventing diarrhea and calming the tummy, not to mention its energy-boosting properties.
- Simply snack on a banana or two right after the period of heavy alcohol intake to get relief from the hangover.
2. Raw Organic Honey:
Time Required: 5 Min and in intervals of at least an hour.
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of raw organic honey and a cup of warm water at each interval (optional).
Honey is a timeless home remedy for a variety of conditions, including the typical hangover. This is because, just like bananas, honey has a high concentration of Potassium which helps give you relief from the accompanying symptoms after a night of heavy indulgence. Additionally, honey is rich in a type of sugar known as fructose. This sugar enhances the body’s metabolic processes, thus helping eliminate the alcohol from the body faster. You could either take the honey in its raw state or add it to a cup of warm water depending on your preferences.
NOTE: You are advised to use only pure raw organic honey as counterfeit products may leave you feeling worse with possible side effects.
- Simply take 2 tablespoons of raw organic honey every 1 hour until the symptoms subside.
- Alternatively, add the honey to a cup of warm water and stir before drinking, preferably severally during the day.
3. Warm Water:
Time Required: The water intake is effective when staggered through out the day.
What You Need: A glass of warm water in intervals of every 2 hours or as you please.
As aforementioned, the main cause of a hangover and its symptoms is dehydration. Consequently, one of the simplest ways to manage a hangover is to stay hydrated. You can do this with ease when you stagger your water intake throughout the day. Aim for at least 10 glasses in the period following your indulgence. In fact, one of the tips for regular alcohol users is to take adequate water in between one’s drinks. This not only reduces the rate at which alcohol enters the blood system, it also increases lag time which helps with faster metabolism of the same.
NOTE: Avoid caffeinated beverages at all costs as this only increases dehydration and aggravates the symptoms of a hangover.
- Simply take a glass of water every 2 hours or until the hangover eases. It helps to make this a regular habit even prior to imbibing as this helps manage the symptoms relatively easily.
4. Lemon Water:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 2 Medium-sized lemons, manual juicer, 1 tablespoon of honey and a glass of warm water.
Lemon water is a handy natural remedy for eliminating the symptoms of a hangover. This is because in addition to the refreshing effects of the citrus fruit, the juice also helps get rid of the dizziness and nausea. Other benefits of using lemon water include the restoration of the body’s normal pH values as well as overall increased energy levels to counter fatigue.
- Wash the lemons well before rolling them between the palms of your hands.
- This is done to stimulate the fibers to allow for maximum and effective juicing.
- Juice the lemons manually and collect the juice in a cup.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the fresh lemon juice and transfer to the glass of warm water.
- Add the honey and stir to mix well.
- Sip this drink slowly over a few minutes and prepare as often as needed.
5. Fresh Ginger:
Time Required: 20 Min for tea prep or 5 Min in hourly intervals for the ginger root.
What You Need: Fresh ginger root. Alternatively, you will need warm water and a strainer to prepare ginger tea.
Ginger is recommended as a natural remedy for the management of hangover symptoms, largely because it is excellent in the management of nausea, vomiting and stomach ache. This not only eases the discomfort, the ginger also has health benefits for the body of an intoxicated person. The remedy works because ginger enhances the metabolic breakdown of alcohol, thus alleviating the symptoms of the hangover. If you would like, you can always make this a regular part of your dietary intake.
Using the Fresh Ginger Root on its own
- Clean the ginger root first before peeling it.
- Chop it into small pieces which you can chew over a period of time.
- Ginger has a characteristic taste, so you may want to chew on very tiny pieces of ginger at any one given time.
Preparing Ginger Tea
- Clean the ginger root, peel it and chop it into small pieces.
- Add the ginger slices to the glass of warm water.
- Bring the mixture to boil for about 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat and allow the tea to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pass the mixture through the strainer and allow to cool for a minute before sipping on this tea.
6. Fill up on Breakfast the Next Day:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Slices if toasted bread, egg and a glass of warm water.
One of the easiest ways to manage a hangover is to make sure you get recovery nutrients to get rid of the fatigue and accompanying symptoms of the hangover. Toast is preferred for two reasons. The first is that it is an excellent source of carbohydrates which help provide much-needed energy.
The second reason is that the charred bits of the toast go a long way in improving detoxification of the body, a key element in the management of the hangover symptoms. The egg on the hand is a rich source of proteins. Notably, egg has high levels of cysteine (a type of amino acid) that enhances the metabolism of alcohol while decreasing the toxicity of the same. This simple remedy is worth trying out the next time you head out to a party and know you will indulge.
NOTE: It is advisable to take a glass of water prior to this breakfast to aid with the re-hydration and the flushing of toxins.
- Drink a glass of warm water prior to having this breakfast to deal with dehydration.
- Prepare the toast, preferably without applying margarine and set aside.
- Prepare the egg (you may poach or boil it depending on your preferences).
- Enjoy your toast and egg breakfast.
Time Required: 5 Min to 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of dried peppermint tea, a cup of warm water, a strainer and 1 teaspoon of honey. Fresh peppermint leaves and peppermint oil, both optional.
Peppermint tea is a handy remedy for managing hangovers, and this is because it is known to enhance digestion while its calming properties help calm inebriated people who are predisposed to anxiety attacks. The herb is also ideal for the treatment of bloating and nausea, both common symptoms of hangovers. Overall, peppermint’s benefits mean that the process of detoxification is hastened and you get fast relief. There are three ways you may use peppermint: you may chew on the fresh leaves, prepare the tea or indulge in a relaxing bath containing peppermint oil.
Using the Fresh Leaves
- Simply wash the fresh peppermint leaves and chew on them throughout the day.
Preparing Peppermint Tea
- Prepare the peppermint tea by placing the dried leaves in a cup and pouring warm water over it.
- Transfer the mixture to a pan and bring it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Cover the tea and allow it to steep for another 5 minutes.
- Pass the tea through the strainer and proceed to sip on it. Repeat this procedure after 3 hours until you start to feel better.
Adding Peppermint Oil to your bath water
- Add 5 drops of the peppermint oil to your bathtub and run warm water.
- Soak in this water for half an hour to ensure a calming and relaxing session to help you feel better.
8. Vegetable Juice:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Fresh tomatoes (the number of tomatoes used will depend on the amount of juice you would love to prepare), juicer, 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Green vegetables (optional).
Vegetable juice is both rejuvenating and has healing properties that make it ideal for managing hangovers. The use of tomatoes in this remedy provides fructose which helps speed up the body’s metabolic processes, thus eliminating the alcohol from your system and helping you feel better.
Additionally, the tomatoes and your choice green veggies are packed with healthy nutrients that help restore the body’s normal functions, thus enabling you to counter the effects of drinking. Lemon juice and honey are used for their aforementioned benefits while cayenne pepper works as an excellent anti-inflammatory, thus reducing the intensity of the throbbing headache that characterizes hangovers.
- Clean the fresh tomatoes and/or the vegetables before juicing.
- Proceed to juice using the recommended settings and pour the resulting juice into a glass.
- Add the lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper to the juice before stirring.
- Drink the vegetable juice in the morning and about 4 hours later for the best results.
In addition to the remedies provided above, it helps to rest and sleep well in order to ease the hangover’s effects. While a hangover does not necessarily result from sleepless nights, it is only worsened by such. As this may not always be possible at night, make sure you sneak in an afternoon nap to allow the body to rejuvenate. It is also advisable to give the hangover some time for you to recover naturally. This means avoiding intense activities the day after so you can feel better faster.