Hair loss, medically referred to as alopecia, is a condition that many people across the globe suffer from. While the most common location for the loss of hair is the scalp, this condition may occur throughout the whole body. In addition to this, hair loss affects both men and women.
There are several causes of hair loss, ranging from hereditary factors where the condition is passed down from one generation to another, to hormonal changes, medication as is the case in cancer as well as the use of the wrong hair products.
In some cases, medical conditions such as anemia, disorders of the thyroid gland as well as autoimmune diseases may also cause the loss of hair for affected individuals.It is important however, that individuals do not confuse hair loss as a condition with the normal and daily loss of hair, typically when combing.
Therapy is available for the treatment of hair loss, but for many people who suffer from this condition, one of the best ways to manage it is with the use of home remedies. These natural options come in handy because often, they have minimal side effects and can be used on a regular basis. In fact, some of the commercial products available in the market are made from a number of these natural remedies. Below are some of the solutions available for you whenever you need to manage hair loss and work towards strong healthy hair.
1. Massage Your Scalp Using Any of The Hair Oils Available:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Choice of hair oil from any of the following: Amla, coconut, olive, castor, or almond oils.
Massaging your scalp with your preferred hair oil is one of the simplest ways to manage hair loss. During this massage, you not only allow for increased blood circulation to the hair follicles, you are also able to improve the strength of your hair strands right from the root level. The simple art of massaging is also an excellent stress reliever for many of the patients affected by hair loss. Other optional hair oils that you can use include wheat germ oil and argan oil ( a popular choice for natural hair enthusiasts).
- Place enough of your choice oil on the palms of your fingers and massage gently on your scalp. The best way to do this is to gently apply pressure using the tips of your fingers. Use this remedy at least thrice weekly, alongside your regular hair routine.
2. Aloe Vera Gel:
Time Required: 10 Min preparation, 2 Hrs for application.
What You Need: Freshly cut aloe vera leaf and warm water to rinse.
It is impossible to mention any of the natural hair loss remedies without including aloe vera gel. One of the most diverse remedies, the gel from the freshly cut leaf is packed with enzymes that enhance the growth of healthy hair. This is key for affected people who lose a lot of hair. In addition to these enzymes, aloe vera gel has excellent alkaline properties that go a long way in maintaining the normal pH levels of the scalp.
This way, the use of aloe vera as a natural remedy makes it ideal for the home treatment of hair loss. When aloe vera gel is added to your regular hair routine, it works to effectively reduce inflammation of the scalp as well as offer relief from continuous itching – these are both factors that sometimes accompany hair loss in some individuals.
- Squeeze the gel that oozes from the freshly cut surface and collect it in a bowl to ease the application process.
- Apply the gel on your scalp, and some of it directly on the hair. Massage well using your fingertips to enhance absorption by the scalp.
- Leave the gel on the scalp for 2 hours, after which you will rinse using warm water. Use this remedy thrice weekly for the best results.
3. Egg Hair Mask:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Eggs and warm water.
Eggs are one of the most popular choices of home remedies for the treatment of different hair conditions, and hair loss is no exception. Eggs have excellent healing properties that help maintain the growth of the hair while enhancing the growth of healthier thicker hair. When this mask is applied on the scalp, it has the advantage of providing much needed nutrients for the restoration of the scalp’s health. These nutrients include a high concentration of proteins, iron, sulfur and zinc. Even after you have managed the treatment of hair loss, this is one of those remedies you need to consider adding to your regular hair routine.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time, and into a bowl.
- Eliminate the egg yolks as this remedy requires the use of egg whites only.
- Whip the egg whites so you have a consistent paste-like substance that you can apply on the scalp and hair.
- Scoop a generous amount of the egg whites and apply, making sure you massage gently but firmly.
- Allow the mask to stay on for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Regular use of this remedy, about thrice weekly, should help you reverse the process of hair loss.
4. Indian Gooseberry (Commonly Known as Amla):
Time Required: 10 Min for the preparation and overnight application.
What You Need: 1 tablespoon of Indian gooseberry or amla oil, lemon juice, a shower cap, and requirements for your regular shampooing process.
Indian gooseberry which many know by its popular name, amla, is a reliable home remedy for the natural treatment of hair loss. This is because amla has a high concentration of Vitamin C which is a direct response to one of the causative agents of hair loss, a deficiency in this vitamin. Amla’s exfoliation properties also go a long way in improving the health of your scalp, which naturally contributes to the growth of your hair. Lemon juice is added to this home remedy in order to compliment the richness of Vitamin C. Since this remedy is used overnight, you need a shower cap that will prevent the mixture from rolling down your head.
- Take a tablespoon of the Indian Gooseberry and mix it with an equivalent amount of lemon juice.
- Stir the two ingredients well until you have a consistent paste.
- Massage the mixture on your scalp and hair for about 5 minutes before covering using the shower cap.
- Allow the mixture to remain overnight and proceed with your usual shampoo routine to seal in amla’s protective benefits.
5. Lavender Oil:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Lavender oil and your choice base oil (either grapeseed or jojoba oil).
Lavender oil with its great fragrance, is a notable home remedy for the natural treatment of hair loss. These healing properties are attributed to the oil’s antispetic and anti-fungal properties. The oil has also been shown to be effective for managing hair breakage as this is one of the key ways to treat the root cause of hair loss. Other benefits of using lavender oil include deep hair and scalp conditioning, as well as dandruff and itch treatment. Base or carrier oils are included in this remedy to prevent potential irritation of the scalp.
- Mix the lavender oil with your preferred carrier oil before applying on your scalp and hair.
- Massage the oils firmly to ensure deep penetration. Depending on the extent of hair loss, you may use this remedy anywhere between thrice weekly and once daily for extreme hair loss.
6. Home-Made Lotion:
Time Required: N/A
What You Need: 50 ml of distilled water, 50 ml of rosewater, 15 ml of organic Apple cider vinegar, 6 drops each of jojoba and rosemary oils as well as 3 drops each of carrot oil, geranium oil, and a sealable bottle to store the lotion. You will also need your routine shampoo products for one of the steps in the directions indicated below.
This home-made hair and scalp lotion combines the best of the most effective hair loss remedies to give you a potent solution to managing the condition. Rosewater not only adds a delightful fragrance to the mixture, it is also a great way to soothe the scalp especially in cases where hair loss is accompanied by itching and irritation. Apple cider vinegar is a great disinfectant that helps ensure your scalp remains healthy enough to support the growth of healthy thick hair. The combination of essential oils is a great way to stimulate the development of healthy hair roots.
Rosemary oil in particular not only stimulates hair growth, it also enhances the flow of blood to the scalp. Geranium oil is also a superb addition to this home-made lotion because it regulates the secretion of oil by the scalp, which in turn results in strong hair. Lastly, the addition of distilled water works as a carrier for all the lotion’s ingredients. This lotion is both simple to prepare and has a tremendous effect on dealing with hair loss. Best of all, perhaps, is the fact that you can easily prepare bulk amounts, provided you use the aformentioned ratios for the ingredients’ respective amounts.
- Mix all the ingredients of the lotion together and shake vigorously. This creates an even mixture considering that the lotion is made of oils and water.
- Follow your regular shampoo and condition routine and then dry your hair properly.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and massage your scalp gently.
- You need not rinse the mixture, so the next step of this remedy use involves proper storage of the lotion. Transfer the lotion you have made to the bottle, seal well and store in the refrigerator for future use. Daily use of this lotion will provide excellent results that should help you manage hair loss.
NOTE: Following refrigeration of the home-made hair lotion, you will notice that the ingredients separate into distinct layers, thanks to the presence of insoluble oil and the waters. Prior to use, simply give this lotion a vigorous shake and then follow this up with step 3.
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 8 Fresh garlic cloves, pestle and mortar, olive oil, and a dark glass bottle .
Garlic is a popular condiment, and one whose popularity as a home remedy continues to increase globally. This healing properties are attributed to the cloves’ high concentration of allicin. Allicin is a sulfur-based compound that helps treat hair loss, especially that which occurs following fungal infection. In addition to this, the cloves also have a high concentration of selenium. Selenium works synergistically with Vitamin E to ensure that your hair grows well and remains healthy. Additional benefits of this potent home remedy include improved blood circulation to the scalp as well as the stimulation of hair growth within the follicles.
- Peel the garlic cloves before chopping it into small pieces. Pound the cloves using a pestle and mortar.
- You will then boil the chopped garlic in the olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for some 20 minutes before applying it to your scalp. Use this remedy thrice weekly until you notice an improvement as far as hair loss is concerned.
8. Raw Potatoes:
Time required: 40 Min
What You Need: Raw potatoes, juicer, a tablespoon of honey, some warm water in a basin, and the yolk of 1 egg.
Raw potatoes are an easy way to manage hair loss if you are looking for a remedy that is both affordable and effective. Raw potato works because it has a high concentration of nutrients. These include vitamins A, B and C, phosphorous and calcium. In addition, their structural makeup means that potatoes are great at preventing hair from drying – this is one of the most common causes of hair loss and breakage. Honey is added to this remedy thanks to its ability to retain the hair’s moisture thus preventing dry hair. The benefits of using egg have been outlined above so that the sum benefits of this remedy make it ideal for treating hair loss.
- Peel and chop the potatoes before passing them through the juicer.
- Place the potato juice in a bowl and proceed to add the honey, water and egg yolk.
- Whisk the mixture until you get an even consistency.
- Apply this potato mixture to your scalp and massage for about 5 minutes – the key here is to use the remedy on damp hair for best results.
- Leave the mixture on for 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Use this remedy thrice weekly.
Other home remedies that you can use for managing hair loss include castor oil that is laden with Vitamin E and nutrients, fenugreek which is a rich source of nourishing proteins as well as onions. The latter are used for their high concentration of sulfur that is known to stimulate the growth of healthy hair. Overall, it also helps to eat a balanced diet as this provides the required nutrition for the proper growth of hair and the prevention of its loss.