Many individuals globally desire long lustrous hair, so much so that they are willing to go the extra mile to get the perfect hair length. Considering that hair grows by about an inch every couple of months, it is evident that it may take longer to get your desired hair length. In addition to this average rate of growth, other factors affect how fast your hair grows.
These include your genetic predisposition, your diet, your overall health as well as your emotional well-being. The beauty about this, however, is that if you are keen on these factors, you can make your hair grow faster using natural remedies. While these remedies do not guarantee instant results, regular use shows remarkable progress when used over a considerable period of time. Here is what you need to be on the lookout for if you would love to grow your hair faster.
1. Hair Egg Mask:
Time Required: 1 Hr
What You Need: 1 Egg, 4 tablespoons of grape-seed oil, 3 drops of lavender oil, warm water, and your usual shampoo products.
Using a hair egg mask is one of the simplest and yet most effective ways to promote faster growth of your hair. Eggs are highly nutritious and are a protein powerhouse that provide your hair with what is needed for new hair follicles. Other nutrients present in eggs, and which contribute to faster growth and healthy hair include selenium, phosphorous, iron and sulfur. Grape seed and lavender oils on the other hand are added to ensure that your hair remains moisturized. This mask is best applied before shampooing as it allows you to rinse out all the raw egg.
- Beat 1 fresh egg in a bowl until you have a consistent paste-like substance.
- Add the oils and whisk some more to ensure the ingredients of this remedy are well-mixed.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair to allow for maximum absorption of the remedy’s nutrients.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for about 40 minutes before rinsing with warm water and following through with your shampooing routine. Since this egg mask has minimal side effects, you may consider making it a regular part of your hair care routine.
2. Pure Castor Oil:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Pure castor oil and any of the following oils for dilution purposes: almond, coconut or olive oil, and shampoo products.
Pure castor oil is recommended for you if you want faster hair growth. Its high concentration of Vitamin E and key essential fatty acids help enhance the growth of healthy hair. The presence of omega-9 fatty acids in this oil also helps fight antioxidants that may hamper the natural growth of your hair. The choice of additional oils is included in this remedy since they not only benefit your hair and scalp, they also help reduce the viscosity of castor oil. The addition of these oils therefore makes application easier.
- Mix equal amounts of castor oil and your choice oil – the amount used is dependent on the length of hair, and this will vary from one individual to another.
- Place the oil on your hands and massage your scalp with it in gentle circular motions.
- Make sure you apply some of the oil mixture directly to your hair too.
- Let the remedy sit in your hair for about 20 minutes before shampooing your hair as usual. Use this remedy at least once weekly or whenever you wash your hair.
3. Fenugreek + Coconut Milk Paste :
Time Required: Overnight for preparation and 1 hour for application.
What You Need: 1 Cup of fenugreek seeds, a bowl of warm water, 2 teaspoons of coconut milk, and shampoo products.
Fenugreek seeds, also referred to as methi, are a great remedy for anyone who would like to grow their hair faster. Fenugreek plays two important roles in this regard: it enhances the growth of the hair and secondly, it retains your hair’s natural color. This is because the seeds are rich in proteins that help develop the hair follicles. The seeds also contain lecithin in high amounts.
Lecithin is an effective compound used to strengthen the hair strands (thus preventing breakage) as well as retaining moisture to prevent frizzy hair. Coconut milk on the other hand is laden with important fats that moisturize the hair and nourish the scalp. Regular topical application of this paste is advised for faster hair growth.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in the water overnight to create the paste you need for this remedy.
- Drain the excess water the next morning and retain the paste.
- Add the paste to the coconut milk and stir the mixture well.
- Scoop some of the paste and apply it on your scalp as well as your hair to the ends.
- Leave the mixture in the hair for half an hour to absorb all of the remedy’s goodness.
- Rinse off the paste by shampooing your hair as you normally do. Use this paste as often as you wash your hair.
4. Raw Potato Juice:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 1 Raw potato, a blender, and your hair shampoo products.
Raw potatoes are a rich source of nutrients, not just for the body when cooked, but also when applied to the hair as a paste. Potatoes have a high concentration of vitamins, potassium, phosphorous and iron. These nutrients not only improve your scalp’s health, they also help prevent the hair from drying out and from falling. Regular use of raw potatoes is a great way of making your hair grow faster and healthier.
- Peel the potato and clean it well before slicing it.
- Place the raw potato slices in a blender to get the juice. You may vary the speeds of your blender depending on the desired paste consistency.
- Put some of the potato juice on the palms of your hands and massage on your hair and scalp.
- Leave the potato juice on for 20 minutes before washing it off with your choice shampoo products. You can use this remedy as often as you wash your hair.
5. Use a Henna Pack:
Time Required: 2 Hrs
What You Need: 1 Cup of dried henna, half a cup of yogurt (preferably natural), warm water, shampoo products, and gloves (optional).
Henna works to enhance the growth of your hair because it benefits your hair through moisturization and deep conditioning. In addition to this, henna also strengthens the hair roots to ensure that your hair is both strong and healthy. If you would like your hair to grow faster and attain a lovely dark hue, henna is your go-to home remedy. Yogurt is added to the dried henna to provide a base as well as to nourish the scalp.
- Prepare the henna paste by mixing the dried henna with the yogurt until you get a consistent mass. This may require persistent mixing to get a paste that is lump-free.
- Apply the henna paste to your hair, beginning from the hair roots to the ends.
- Allow the paste to dry naturally and completely to allow maximum absorption.
- Rinse the paste with warm water before following through with your usual shampoo procedure. Use the henna pack at least once monthly until you are content with the progress your hair has made.
6. Cayenne Pepper Paste:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and warm water to rinse.
Cayenne pepper is used to make a paste that stimulates the growth of hair. When applied to the scalp, it causes dilation of the blood vessels, thus allowing increased flow of blood to the scalp and hair roots. This increased flow enhances nutrient absorption, thus providing your hair with necessary requirements for proper growth. The paste also helps prevent thinning out of hair. Olive oil is required as a base carrier for the pepper, and is also an excellent way to nourish the hair and improve its health.
- Place the pepper in a bowl and add the olive oil before mixing. Do this carefully to prevent the pepper particles from filling the air.
- Apply the pepper paste to your scalp and at the base of the hair. Massage the mixture on your scalp.
- Leave the paste on for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Use this remedy at least once monthly to get the most of the cayenne and olive oil.
7. Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min preparation and overnight application.
What You Need: Coconut oil
It is impossible to talk about hair remedies without making mention of coconut oil. One of the most popular remedies for your hair, coconut oil is used because it nourishes the scalp and enhances the growth of new hair. In addition, the oil also helps prevent hair loss by repairing damaged hair. In recent times, coconut oil has been used as a fundamental ingredient for the pre-poo process (preparing your hair for shampooing). The ease of use, coupled with its affordability makes coconut oil a must-have remedy for anyone who wants their hair to grow faster.
- Simple apply coconut oil before you shampoo during your regular wash routine.
8. Amla (Indian Gooseberry):
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of amla juice (amla powder may be used as a substitute), 2 tablespoons of lime juice, and warm water.
Amla is almost synonymous with healthy hair, and here’s why. Amla is packed wit antioxidants that help reverse hair damage as well as enhance the development of the hair follicles. Another advantage of using amla is that it improves your hair’s natural color, making it a choice remedy for natural hair enthusiasts. Lime juice is added to this remedy because it is acidic, and therefore helps with exfoliation.
- Mix amla with the lime juice in order to get an even remedy.
- Take some of the mixture and apply it to your scalp, making sure you massage well.
- Let the mixture on the hair dry for a few minutes for the benefits to take root.
- Finally, rinse your scalp and hair with warm water. Use this remedy twice monthly to maintain your hair’s health and improve its growth.
9. Garlic Paste:
Time Required: 1 Hr
What You Need: 2 Cloves of fresh garlic, a pestle and mortar, a cup of coconut oil, warm water, and a stove.
Garlic is a member of the onion family, and is best known for its high concentration of sulfur-compounds. These compounds are a prized ingredient in this remedy because for the hair to regenerate, it requires sulfur which the garlic readily provides. This remedy also improves the flow of blood to the scalp, availing nutrients readily. Coconut oil is used as a base, and also has the advantage of improving your hair’s health.
- Peel the garlic cloves and grind using a pestle and mortar. This is done to get a smooth paste.
- Add the minced garlic to the coconut oil and bring the mixture to boil.
- Allow the mixture to cool before you can apply it to your scalp and hair. Make sure you pay attention to the roots of your hair.
- Rinse the paste using warm water. Use this remedy at least twice weekly for faster hair growth.
10. Jojoba Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min for preparation and overnight for application.
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of jojoba oil, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, and warm water.
Jojoba oil is best known for its ability to moisturize the hair follicles as well as increase the flow of blood to the scalp. These properties go a long way in promoting hair growth, so when used regularly, the oil helps stimulate faster hair growth. Olive oil is used as a base in this remedy as it also plays a key role in maintaining healthy hair.
- Mix the jojoba oil with the coconut oil and apply the oil mixture on your scalp and hair.
- Allow the oil mixture to remain on the scalp and rinse it the next morning.
Other remedies known to enhance hair growth include herbs that stimulate the hair follicles such as rosemary, sage and nettle, peppercorns which give the hair soft texture as well as hibiscus flowers which improve hair growth. It also helps to use these remedies alongside natural solutions such as avoiding excessive heat during hair styling, protective hair styles as well as using organic-based hair care products.