Flatulence, or passing gas as it is normally known, is a normal occurrence as it is part of the normal functioning of Improper chewing of food is also a major cause of gas and flatulence. This is because when this food is not mechanically crushed in the mouth, it proceeds to the digestive system where its bulkiness causes it to ferment and thus produce gas. For some people, rich spicy foods are known to cause excessive gas. Other causes of flatulence include infections within the digestive system, food intolerance as well as recurrent indigestion.
While there are no scientific guidelines as to the ‘ideal’ number of times you ought to pass gas, it is important to seek medical attention if you are constantly passing gas that is smelly. In such instances, this is usually accompanied by a host of symptoms such as sharp abdominal pain, regular constipation or diarrhea, inexplicable weight loss, frequent belching as well as bloating. The good news is that for the most part, flatulence can easily be treated with a number of natural remedies at home for your convenience.
1. Fennel Seeds:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: Dried Fennel seeds, pan, pestle and mortar and a glass of warm water. alternatively, use fresh fennel leaves (if you can stand the taste).
Fennel seeds are particularly helpful for you when dealing with flatulence as a result of food that is extremely spicy. This is because the seeds contain oil that helps regulate the amount of gas in the digestive system. This easy-to-prepare remedy is one of the best ways to get quick relief from flatulence.
There are two ways to benefit from fennel: either by using dried seeds or by chewing on the fresh leaves of the same. The latter is not a favorite for many people, thanks to its characteristic taste. Other seeds which have been shown to have a similar effect to fennel seeds include anise seeds, caraway seeds as well as celery seeds. These seeds can be prepared using the directions indicated below.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds for 20 minutes so that it is easy for you to grind them.
- Transfer the roasted seeds to a pestle and mortar and grind until you have a fine powder.
- Scoop a teaspoon of the powder and place it in a glass.
- Add the warm water and stir the resulting solution.
- You may opt to strain the mixture before drinking it or taking it in its state.
- Do this twice daily until you notice an improvement.
- Alternatively, simply chew on the fresh fennel leaves twice daily to deal with flatulence.
2. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A teaspoon of baking soda, 1 lemon, juicer and half a glass of warm water.
Baking soda is a simple but effective home remedy when you need to get rid of excessive gas within your digestive system. It is an excellent ingredient used in the manufacture of antacids, and which make for a great way to get rid of excessive gas. Lemon is added for its ability to manage indigestion, thus preventing gas that accumulates during indigestion. This combination is effective and easy to prepare, so make the best out of it. In the absence of lemon juice, the baking soda and water will work just as well.
- Wash the lemon and chop it into half before juicing it.
- Collect the juice in a cup before adding half a teaspoon of the baking soda.
- This addition will cause bubbling, which is perfectly normal.
- Once the bubbling subsides, add the rest of the baking soda and stir some more.
- Pour in half a glass of warm water to the mixture to allow complete dissolution of the baking soda.
- Sip this mixture slowly, and repeat at least twice daily.
- Alternatively, place the baking soda and pour in the mixture before stirring.
- Drink this mixture and allow a few minutes before the remedy provides relief from flatulence.
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Garlic cloves, pestle and mortar, a dash of black pepper, quarter teaspoon of cumin seeds and a glass of warm water.
Garlic is loved and detested in equal measure, thanks to its diverse medicinal and culinary properties and pungent smell in equal measure. It is amazing, however, that garlic constitutes one of the best remedies for flatulence/ gas. This is because it is rich in allicin, a compound that is known to stimulate the digestive system.
This not only enhances proper digestion, it is also an ideal way of managing gas that results from indigestion. The addition of black pepper and cumin is intended to compliment the pungent heating that is associated with garlic. Warm water is used in order to allow proper absorption of the remedy’s ingredients.
- Peel the garlic cloves and clean well.
- Grind using a pestle and mortar to get a pastel-like substance which is what you will use in subsequent steps.
- Transfer the minced garlic to a pan, add the black pepper and cumin seeds before pouring in the water.
- Bring the mixture to boil before turning down the heat and allowing it to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and allow it to cool.
- Drink this mixture thrice daily for relief from flatulence.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A teaspoon of each of the following: fresh ginger (ground), dried fennel seeds and cardamom in addition to a glass of water.
Ginger is a wonderful herb whose numerous culinary and medicinal benefits make it an ideal home remedy for the management of flatulence. The fresh herb is best known for its excellent properties in improving the health of the digestive tract, and has been used since ancient civilizations.
In addition to this, ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties help reduce the pain and inflammation in the abdominal region. Overall, ginger enhances digestion, promotes easy bowel movement and therefore reduces the occurrence of gas in the digestive system. Ginger may also be added to foods and tea in order enable you deal with flatulence effectively.
- Mix the three spices (ginger + fennel + cardamom) thoroughly to ensure an even remedy.
- Take a teaspoon of the mixture and transfer it to a cup.
- Add a cup of warm water and stir.
- You may sieve this mixture or take it just as it is.
- Repeat this thrice daily for best results.
- Alternatively, simply chew on a piece of fresh ginger root at least thrice during the day.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Cardamom seeds, a pestle and mortar, a glass of warm water and a pan. Tea may be used in place of water.
Cardamom seeds are the go-to home remedy for relief from flatulence. These seeds are rich in volatile oils which help to stimulate the process of digestion. They are particularly helpful in providing relief from flatulence that is as a result of indigestion. Cardamom is also a great remedy for soothing an upset stomach and treat bloating. One of the advantages of using cardamom is that there are several ways of preparing it to get an effective home remedy.
- Dry roast the cardamom seeds before grinding using a pestle and mortar.
- Scoop a teaspoon of the ground seeds and place it in a cup before pouring in the warm water.
- You may use tea in place of the water if that is your preference.
- Drink the water or tea at least twice daily to help you deal with flatulence.
- You may also chew on the seeds to get quick relief from the gas.
6. Peppermint Leaves:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Fresh peppermint leaves or peppermint tea bags.
Peppermint leaves are best known for their wide range of benefits for the digestive system. If you suffer from recurrent flatulence, one of the best ways to treat it at home is to use peppermint leaves. Menthol is a major ingredient in peppermint, and it is menthol that helps decrease the amount of gas in your body. Additionally, the peppermint also helps with bloating and indigestion. It is important, however, to know that peppermint MUST NOT be used if you suffer from gastroesophageal reflux as this only aggravates the condition.
- Take three fresh peppermint leaves and place in a cup of freshly boiled water.
- Let the leaves steep in the water for about 10 minutes to get the most out of this remedy.
- Strain the mixture and discard the used peppermint leaves.
- Take this peppermint drink thrice daily for the best results.
- You may also opt to use peppermint tea bags to prepare a cup of warm tea which you can take thrice daily.
7. Chia Seeds:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Chia seeds
Chia seeds are an excellent home remedy used for providing relief from flatulence/gas. The seeds are packed with nutrients such as vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids and minerals. Here’s how the seeds work in order to get rid of gas in the digestive system: sometimes, flatulence is the result of fecal matter staying in the digestive system for prolonged periods of time, thus causing constipation.
If you can find a way to prevent constipation, it then becomes easy to deal with the flatulence. Chia seeds are rich in fiber which helps bulk up waste and make it easy to pass. With this, chia seeds make for an excellent remedy in the management of flatulence. Note, however, that you should check with your doctor before incorporating chia seeds into your daily diet as the seeds could hamper the pharmacodynamics of specific medication.
- Simply eat the chia seeds whole during the day. You may also opt to add chia seeds to your daily meals.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of honey and a cup of soy milk.
Cinnamon is a great choice of home remedy when you need to get instant relief from flatulence. Cinnamon stimulates the action of the digestive system, making it easy to expel gas. Best of all, perhaps, is the fact that cinnamon not only provides relief instantly, it also has the capacity to reduce excessive gas in the future.
- Warm the cup of soy milk and set aside.
- Add the teaspoon of cinnamon and let the mixture steep for 10 minutes.
- Stir in a teaspoon of honey before warming the mixture once more.
- Sip this mixture and repeat the remedy at least thrice daily to effectively deal with flatulence.
9. Stay Hydrated, Preferably Using Warm Water:
Time Required: Staggered throughout the day.
What You Need: A glass of warm water
In addition to the aforementioned home remedies, taking warm water on its own has been shown to provide relief from flatulence. Water not only helps eliminate toxins accumulated in the digestive system, it also improved the process of digestion. One of the best ways to take a preventive measure is to take a glass of warm water every morning before taking any food.
- Simply take a glass of warm water first thing every morning and through out the day.
Other simple ways to deal with flatulence include consuming pawpaw which is rich in enzymes that steer digestion, chamomile tea which soothes the digestive system as well as consuming pro-biotic foods. It also helps to avoid foods that are infamous for causing gas for the period you suffer from excessive flatulence. These foods include beans, broccoli, cabbage and bran among others. As a general guide, eat slowly and chew food well to avoid swallowing a lot of air which easily leads to flatulence.