Flaky scalp is one of the most common conditions that affects the scalp. This problem is prevalent in winter months for the simple reason that there is inadequate moisture in the environment. There are many factors that contribute to the development of skin flakes on the scalp. These range from low moisture levels, skin infections as well as excessive dandruff.
Flaky scalp is characterized by the formation of loose powder-like flakes following the dehydration of the sebum glands. The purpose of these glands is to produce sebum, which is the skin’s natural oil. In the absence of this natural oil, the scalp dries out and leads to the flaky skin. While there are pharmaceutical products that you can use to manage flaky scalp, there are a handful natural remedies that you can use to treat flaky scalp and get rid of the embarrassing powder-like substance that falls from the scalp. Check out the list below and find the most suitable home remedy for this scalp condition.
1. Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Virgin coconut oil and warm water bath.
Coconut oil is one of the most effective home remedies for the treatment of a flaky scalp. The oil is a great moisturizer that seals the moisture on the scalp and prevents it from drying out. In addition to this, the oil also has great antiseptic properties that help eliminate any bacteria on the scalp. Lastly, coconut oil nourishes the scalp and promotes the health of the hair too.
- Place the coconut oil in a bowl and transfer the bowl to a warm water bath. The purpose of this bath is to warm the oil indirectly as direct heating causes damage to the structural integrity of the oil.
- Put some of the warm oil onto the palms of your hands and apply on the flaky scalp.
- Massage the oil gently on the scalp, preferably in slow circular motions to enhance the oil’s absorption.
- Do this at least thrice weekly for a period of 15 minutes until the scalp is well moisturized. Maintain this remedy for a couple of weeks until your scalp heals.
2. Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 3 lemons and juicer. Coconut oil (optional).
Freshly squeezed lemon juice is an excellent home remedy that you can use to treat a flaky scalp. The juice works through exfoliation, thus helping get rid of the flakes on the scalp. Regular use of lemon juice is the best way to keep skin flakes at bay. You may mix the juice with coconut oil to compliment the remedy’s effectiveness.
- Roll the lemons on the kitchen surface in order to stimulate the fibers to release the juice.
- Wash the lemons before slicing it in half and juicing it.
- Transfer the juice to a bowl and add a few drops of coconut oil so that you exfoliate and moisturize at the same time..
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and massage firmly, preferably using the tips of your fingers.
- Do this for 20 minutes, and repeat the procedure twice daily until your scalp heals.
3. Baking Soda:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of baking soda and warm water in a cup.
Baking soda works just like fresh lemon juice as it helps eliminate the skin flakes and dead cells that accumulate on the scalp. This exfoliation goes a long way in treating flaky scalp since it also cleanses the skin pores and prevents the clogging of the pores. Baking soda is a simple remedy which you must add to your collection if you constantly suffer from a flaky scalp.
- Mix the baking soda with water to create a thin paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and massage it using your fingertips.
- After 20 minutes of massaging, rinse the scalp with warm water in order to drain the baking soda.
- At this point, you may opt to proceed with your normal scalp cleaning routine using shampoo.
- Use baking soda to clean the scalp at least thrice weekly.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV):
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 5 Tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar, 5 tablespoons of warm water and extra warm water to rinse the scalp.
Apple cider vinegar (abbreviated ACV) is an effective home remedy for anyone suffering from flaky scalp. In addition to its excellent anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce pain and itching on the scalp, the use of ACV is also loved for its ability to ensure the scalp retains its normal pH range. When the pH of the scalp is varied from what is normal, it predisposes individuals to the development of flakes. Using the directions below will allow you to benefit from ACV’s healing powers. If you have hair, regular use of ACV adds to your hair’s natural sheen while improving its health.
- Mix the ACV and the warm water in a bowl and stir. This dilution is done to ensure that your scalp does not get irritated especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Dab the solution on your scalp using cotton wool, making sure you use generous amounts of the remedy.
- For this remedy to be effective, allow the ACV to remain on the scalp for half an hour before rinsing with warm water.
5. Egg White + Yogurt:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: 2 Fresh eggs, a funnel, yogurt and warm water. Preferred hair shampoo.
Egg white and yogurt mixture is a popular home remedy for the natural treatment of a wide range of scalp conditions. When it comes to dealing with flaky scalp, eggs whites are helpful because they are laden with proteins and nutrients that nourish the scalp while strengthening hair and preventing breakage. Yogurt on the other hand, is an excellent moisturizer which helps address the root cause of flaky scalp. In addition, yogurt helps eliminate accumulated dirt and dead cells on the scalp. The mixture of the two makes for an ideal home remedy.
- Beat the eggs, one at a time and pass through the funnel. The use of the funnel is one of the simplest ways of separating the yolk from the egg white. If you do not have a funnel, simply clean your hands and break the egg into your hand. You will then allow the white to pass through your fingers and into the collecting bowl.
- Mix the egg whites with the yogurt until you have a paste-like substance.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp, making sure that you massage in well.
- Allow the mixture to remain on the scalp for at least half an hour before shampooing your hair.
- Follow through with your hair care routine.
- Use this remedy thrice weekly until your scalp is healed.
Time Required: 2 Hrs
What You Need: 1 Ripe avocado, a bowl to mash it in, warm water and shampoo.
Raw avocado is yet another simple but effective remedy loved for its healing powers on flaky skin. Avocado is rich in fats which not only nourish the skin, it also helps in moisturizing the dry scalp. Regular application of avocado helps get rid of the flakes that develop on your scalp.for those with hair, you can always extend the use of avocado pulp to your hair for strong hair that does not easily break.
- Slice the avocado and chop to get cubes.
- Place the cubes in a bowl and mash them until you get a pulp whose consistency will allow easy application on the scalp.
- Scoop some of the avocado pulp and apply generous amounts of it on your scalp.
- Let the avocado remain on your scalp for an hour and a half. This is important because it allows for the absorption of the avocado’s nutrients.
- Rinse your scalp with warm water before following through with your shampooing routine. Repeat the use of this remedy thrice weekly for best results. When your scalp heals, you may consider adding avocado to your normal hair routine.
7. Aloe Vera:
Time Required: 2 Hrs
What You Need: Fresh leaf from the aloe vera plant and warm water to rinse.
Aloe vera gel is one of the best moisturizing agents in the world of natural remedies. As such, these properties make it an excellent choice of treatment for you if you suffer from flaky scalp. when applied on the scalp, the gel from the freshly cut plant also soothes the scalp through a welcome cooling sensation. If your scalp is both dry and flaky, this is the perfect way to go about treating it. In addition, aloe vera also has excellent antibacterial properties that help deal with infections which easily cause the skin to dry out and produce flakes.
- Take the freshly cut aloe vera leaf and squeeze to release the gel.
- Do this until you have adequate amounts of the gel for application on your scalp.
- Apply the gel on your scalp, making sure you massage firmly.
- Let the gel remain on your scalp for about an hour and a half (or more if you would like).
- Rinse the gel using warm water. Since the gel from the plant is a cooling agent, you may want to use this remedy at least once daily. Over a period of time, regular use of the gel also strengthens your hair.
8. Peppermint Oil:
Time Required: N/A
What You Need: Peppermint essential oil, a dropper, your preferred brand of shampoo and warm water.
Peppermint oil is one of the most reliable essential oils as far as the treatment of flaky scalp is concerned. When massaged on the scalp, the oil soothes the scalp which works like magic for those with dry flaky scalps. Additionally, studies have also shown that the oil’s pH levels help restore pH balance of the scalp. This in turn counteracts the dryness and helps retain moisture on the scalp. As a result, peppermint oil is not only effective for a healthy scalp, it also promotes the growth of the hair. There are two ways in which you can use peppermint essential oil: either by mixing it with your shampoo or by applying the dilute oil directly on your scalp.
- Place five drops of peppermint oil in your bottle of shampoo and then shake well to ensure even distribution of the oil.
- Wet your scalp using the warm water before applying a generous amount of the oil-shampoo mixture.
- Wash your scalp as you normally would.
- Rinse off the shampoo twice before following through with your hair care routine.
- Add two drops of the peppermint oil to the warm water in a cup.
- Stir the mixture to ensure even mixing.
- Pour three tablespoons of the mixture onto the palms of your hands an apply on your scalp.
- Massage your scalp for about 15 minutes to allow the oil’s benefits take effect.
- Follow this up with your usual shampoo/condition hair routine.
Other appropriate home remedies for the natural treatment of flaky scalp include thyme which addresses scalp dryness, sage which prevents the skin flakes from forming by eliminating dead skin and witch hazel. As a general guide, it is important to observe hygiene as well as to keep your scalp moisturized. This is particularly important during cold months as your scalp is prone to drying out.