A dry throat is a common condition that affects many people across the world. The condition is typically prevalent in the cold months of the year, but it is important to note that the condition can in fact occur at any month of the year as there are different causes for the same. Some of the most common causes of dry throats include allergic reactions, common cold, chemical irritation from one’s immediate immediate environment as well as cigarette smoking.
Symptoms of a dry throat include a characteristic scratchy feeling that causes irritation in the region behind the tongue, pain when swallowing food as well as a peculiar taste when feeding. In some cases, the glands located on the sides of the tongue may swell and become tender to touch. These symptoms tend to worsen in the morning and night when it is cooler.
Depending on the cause of the dry throat, the symptoms may be accompanied by body pains, body fatigue as well as a headache. A dry throat, while seemingly minor, can easily interfere with one’s daily life, making it important to deal with the dryness as fast as possible. there are medicines available for this, but natural remedies have the advantage of long-term use with little or no side
effects for the most part. Choose from any of the remedies below once you figure out what works best for you.
1. Warm Salty Water Gargle:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Teaspoon of salt and a glass of warm water.
One of the easiest ways to deal with a dry throat is to gargle warm salty water. The warmth of the water soothes and moisturizes the throat, thus giving you relief from the dryness. The salt on the other hand, helps clear any infections or irritants present in the mouth and throat. It also has the benefit of drawing water from the membranes in the throat region, in effect reducing the inflammation. Use this remedy at least thrice daily to get rid of a dry throat.
- Place the salt in the water and stir for complete dissolution.
- Sip the salty water and gargle for 5 minutes, taking care that you do not swallow the solution.
- Spit the solution.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times for quick relief.
2. Honey + Warm Water:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of honey and 1 glass of warm water.
Honey is a great substitute for those who cannot stand the taste of salt in the salty water gargle remedy. Honey is a natural humectant, which simply means that it adds moisture to your parched throat and effectively provides relief from the dryness. Another advantage of using honey is that it is a natural antibacterial, a factor which is particularly helpful for a dry throat as is the case in a strep infection. Using honey and warm water soothes the throat, effectively reducing the inflammation.
- Add the honey to the water and stir.
- Drink the mixture slowly, allowing the effects of the remedy to take effect on the throat.
- Use this remedy thrice daily for best results.
3. Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 3 Lemon wedges, 1 glass of warm water, and a tablespoon of honey.
Lemon juice is packed with antioxidants, and these help ease the discomfort while giving you relief from the associated symptoms of the dry throat. You may add honey for its healing properties. Use this remedy at least thrice daily for best results.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon wedges into the glass of water.
4. Stay Hydrated by Drinking Plenty of Water and Taking Enough Fluids:
Time Required: Varied throughout the day.
What You Need: Water and fluids.
A dry throat is often indicative of the body’s dehydration. This causes the characteristic scratchy feeling. By taking plenty of fluid and drinking water throughout the day, you are better placed to deal with the dehydration, and thus address one of the causes of a dry throat. For the most part, many people find hot water and fluids to be more effective as they are able to soothe the throat better then cold drinks. The idea here is to take small sips of water and fluids during the day as opposed to taking large amounts of the same in a single sitting.
- Keep a bottle of water or a mug of hot fluids close by so that you can sip on it throughout the day.
5. Lozenges or Candy:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Lozenges or sugar-free candy.
One of the best ways to moisten a dry throat is to suck on lozenges or candy. This works by stimulating the production of saliva in the mouth, in effect causing the direct moisturization of the throat and surrounding glands. For this remedy, you need to stick to sugar-free candy and lozenges for the sake of your dental health and to avoid caries. Lozenges also have the advantage of providing relief from associated symptoms of a dry throat, making them a preferred option for many people.
- Suck on the lozenges or candy thrice daily to get relief from a dry throat.
6. Slippery Elm:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of the slippery elm (inner bark), 2 cups of hot water, and a strainer.
Slippery elm is a popular option for the home treatment of a dry and sore throat. It works excellently because it is rich in mucilage. Mucilage is a slimy substance whose consistency mimics that of a gel. When ingested, it lines the dry throat, thus providing relief from the discomfort. The herb’s inner bark also reduces the irritation of the throat.
- Add the inner bark of the slippery elm to the water and allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool for a few more minutes.
- Sip the mixture slowly while still tepid to treat the dry throat.
7. Fenugreek Seeds:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of fenugreek seeds, 2 cups of water, and a strainer.
Fenugreek seeds work in pretty much the same way as the slippery elm inner bark. This is because the seeds are also rich in the mucus-producing compounds which when ingested, provide immediate relief from the irritation while reducing the pain. What you need to do is gargle the solution from the seeds multiple times daily to get rid of the dryness.
- Place the seeds in the water and bring the mixture to boil for 30 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 15 minutes or up to a temperature that is comfortable for you.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer to get the gargle solution that you will need. Discard the seeds.
- Gargle using the fenugreek seeds solution and spit. Do this thrice daily for quick relief.
8. Marshmallow Root:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: 2 Teaspoons of dried marshmallow root, 1 cup of boiling water, strainer, and honey.
Marshmallow root is recommended for the natural treatment for the fact that it is rich in mucilage. As mentioned above, mucilage creates a gel-like substance that covers the irritated dry throat and effectively soothes it. If your dry throat is the result of a flu or the common cold, this remedy helps treat the conditions too. Note, however, that this remedy is not ideal for expectant women, those who are lactating as well as those suffering from diabetes.
- Add the dried marshmallow root to the water and mix well.
- Let the mixture steep for 30 minutes before passing through the strainer.
- You may add some honey before drinking. Use this remedy thrice everyday until the dry throat heals.
9. Take Some Time to Rest:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: A comfortable and quiet place to rest.
Sometimes when your throat is dry due to a cold, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to take some time to rest. This gives your body ample time to recuperate without the stress that comes from the external environment. The reduced activities also allow your body to channel much of its energy to healing, giving you a chance to make a full recovery.
- Take some time off to quieten your mind and rest your body.
10. Steam Therapy:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Boiling water in a basin and a clean towel. Alternatively, run a hot bath.
Steam therapy is an effective home remedy used to treat a dry throat. The basic principle is that the steam opens up your air passages and allows the moisturization of your throat. The towel is required to cover your head and trap the steam if you opt for the basin method. This remedy is classified as moderate because of the risk of scalding. As such, it may not be ideal for small babies and senior citizens.
- Lean over the boiling water and cover your head using the towel.
- Breathe in deeply through your mouth. This is key because it allows the steam to reach the throat area.
- Exhale gently before repeating step 2.
- Continue doing this for about 20 minutes. Repeat the use of the remedy thrice daily for quick relief.
- Alternatively, run a hot bath for the same benefits.
11. Sage Leaves:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: A handful of sage leaves, 1 cup of water, and a sieve.
Sage leaves are also a practical remedy for the treatment of a dry throat. The leaves, when boiled, create a solution that soothes the dry throat and allows it to remain moisturized. Added benefits of using the leaves include their antibacterial properties that are especially effective when your dry throat originates from a cold or infections affecting the respiratory system.
- Wash the leaves well before transferring them to a pan and adding enough water to cover them.
- Boil the mixture for 10 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to steep for some 15 minutes before sieving.
- Drink the mixture while still warm to get relief from a dry and itchy throat.
12. Tea From Licorice Root:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of licorice, 1 cup of boiling water, and honey (optional).
Licorice root is a popular remedy for the treatment of dry sore throats. It has long been used to treat this condition, and has even been incorporated in pharmaceutical drugs. The root has compounds that soothe the dry throat and reduce the irritation. When boiled in water, the resulting gargle solution also increases the amount of moisture within the throat, allowing for quick relief.
- Add the licorice tea to the cup of boiling water and allow it to steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture to get rid of the root.
- You may gargle using this solution or simply take the remedy as tea.
- Take this remedy 3 times daily for quick recovery and healing of the dry throat.
Other remedies that you can use to treat dry throat include organic Apple Cider Vinegar which moisturizes the throat, juice from citrus fruits as well as peppermint that both soothes and calms the dry throat. If the dry throat does not heal after a few days even with the use of the remedies, you need to consult a doctor for professional medical attention.