Diarrhea is a term that is used to describe a condition where stool passed is extremely loose and watery. In addition to these traits, diarrhea is also characterized by increased frequency which certainly contributes to the discomfort and abdominal pain that diarrhea is detested for. Many people are familiar with the increased number of toilet visits and the sheer volume of stool. Some of the causes of diarrhea include food poisoning, drinking contaminated water, viral infections as well as bacterial infections within the gut. Diarrhea is accompanied by symptoms such as pain in the abdominal region, nausea and bloating.
Typically diarrhea lasts just a few days in which case it can be treated with ease using available natural home remedies. In some cases, however, diarrhea extends to weeks. The extent of diarrhea is dependent on the severity of the causative agent. In such cases, it is important to transition from natural home remedies for the simple reason that this time period can be indicative of severe diseases of the digestive system.
Some of the conditions whose symptoms include extended diarrhea include inflammatory bowel disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). As a general guide, when diarrhea goes beyond a couple of days, it is important to get professional medical advice in order to allay the fears of more serious diseases. Listed below are simple yet effective home remedies that you can use to manage diarrhea.
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Ripe bananas
Difficulty : Easy
Bananas are a simple home remedy that work effectively in the management of diarrhea. The ripe fruits are recommended because they are rich in pectin. Pectin is a type of soluble fiber that dissolves in water with ease. This helps consolidate stool so that it is less watery. Additionally, ripe bananas have a high concentration of potassium. Potassium is critical to the normal functioning of the digestive system as one of the salt’s critical functions is its role as an electrolyte. The next time you suffer from diarrhea, simply up the number of ripe bananas you consume daily.
- Simply eat several ripe bananas in the course of the day.
2. Chamomile Tea:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of chamomile flowers (dried), a teaspoon of peppermint leaves, a strainer and a cup of boiling water.
Chamomile tea is preferred for its excellent antispasmodic properties. By taking this tea, you are in a position to get relief from the accompanying abdominal pain. The tea is also a way to soothe your tummy as the tannin present help decrease the inflammation of the gut, a common trait during diarrhea. Whenever you get diarrhea, simply prepare some chamomile tea and sip away.
- Mix the dried chamomile flowers and peppermint leaves in a bowl before transferring them to a cup.
- Pour in the boiling water and allow the mixture to steep in the water for some 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and allow the tea to cool so that it is just warm enough.
- Drink this tea thrice daily until you get relief from the diarrhea.
3. Probiotic Yogurt:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Choice probiotic yogurt.
Probiotic yogurt is different from the typical yogurt because it contains live bacterial cultures. One of the most popular cultures is the Lactobacillus acidophilus. These live cultures help you manage diarrhea because they replenish the populations of good bacteria in the gut. Additionally, the live cultures help eliminate the bad bacteria that is responsible for the diarrhea in the first place. A number of studies that have been conducted have shown that there is a great possibility probiotic yogurt could be used to decrease the occurrence of diarrhea resulting from antibiotic medication. this opens a new frontier for the use of yogurt as a home remedy for the natural treatment of conditions of the digestive system.
- Simply take a glass of probitoic yogurt at least thrice daily.
- You may choose to add a banana to enjoy the benefits of both remedies.
4. Fenugreek Seeds:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and a tablespoon of yogurt (preferably probiotic yogurt).
Fenugreek seeds are a recommended home remedy for the natural treatment of diarrhea, thanks to their high concentration of gummy substances. The seeds create mucilage which is in fact, loved for its ability to reverse the effects of diarrhea. The seeds also have the advantage of been bland, making them ideal for those whose diarrhea is accompanied by nausea. Probiotic yogurt on the other hand, is loved for its high concentration of friendly bacteria which enhances the function of the digestive system.
- Take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and mix with the probiotic yogurt in a shallow bowl.
- Consume the mixture thrice daily until the diarrhea eases.
5. Go The Brat Way:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: BRAT is an acronym that stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast
BRAT is an acronym for four key remedies for the management of diarrhea. These include Banana (whose benefits have been mentioned above), Rice, Applesauce and Toast. Rice is bland, and is easy on the stomach, making it a perfect way to soothe your tummy. Applesauce on the other hand, works similarly to banana because it is rich in soluble fiber. This fiber absorbs the excessive fluid in the digestive tract thus reducing the rapid expulsion of stool. Applesauce and banana make for a delicious dessert. Toast is added to this remedy to bulk up stool, thus making the situation more manageable.
Note the following:
– Apple sauce must not be substituted with apple juice as the latter only serves to compound the diarrhea.
– Make sure you use this remedy in small portions to prevent disrupting the situation further.
– Do not smear margarine or butter on your toast as the fat present is likely to upset your stomach even further.
- Boil the rice as you normally would, and place a couple of spoons full on a plate.
- Scoop some of the applesauce and drizzle over banana slices for dessert.
- Indulge in this alongside the toast. Prepare the BRAT meal daily until you notice that the diarrhea has eased.
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Fresh ginger root, a grater and a tablespoon of honey.
Many people are cognizant of the fact that ginger is an excellent home remedy for throat problems, but what many are not aware of is the fact that ginger is used to treat a wide array of problems in the digestive system. Active compounds present in ginger help regulate the function of the smooth muscle in the digestive tract, thus managing diarrhea. Additionally, ginger is a perfect remedy that offers relief from abdominal cramping that is characteristic of diarrhea.
- Peel the ginger root carefully before washing it under running water.
- Use a grater to get fine pieces of the fresh ginger.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the grated ginger and mix well.
- Consume this concoction at least thrice daily.
- As a general guide, avoid taking water immediately after using this remedy. Some people find the taste of ginger a bit too strong when raw. You should, however, avoid taking water as this dilutes the effects of the ginger.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: N/A
What You Need:1 Tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar (ACV) and a glass of warm water.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best options for treating diarrhea at home. It not only has excellent health benefits for the gut, it also works by getting rid of the bacteria responsible for the diarrhea. If it is your first time to take ACV, you may need some time to get used to the taste, in which case you can always use water to dilute the taste. Follow the directions below for relief from the effects of diarrhea.
- Take a teaspoon of the ACV in its raw state and follow this up with a glass of water.
- Alternatively, add the teaspoon of ACV to the water, stir and drink the mixture.
8. Plain White Rice:
Time Required: Depends on the quantity of rice you’d love to prepare.
What You Need: Plain white rice and water
For the most part, plain white rice is not a favorite for many people, owing to its rather bland taste. The truth of the matter, however, is that when you have diarrhea, white rice ought to be your best friend. The rice easily absorbs excessive fluid in your intestines, and this firms up the stool making it easy to pass and reducing the discomfort of the same. More importantly, do not prepare the rice with any curry or sauces as this will only aggravate the situation further.
- Sort the rice first before washing it and place aside. Note that the amount of rice you want to cook will determine the amount of water you boil in the next step. As a general guide however, the ideal ratio to use is 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water.
- Bring the water to boil and add the rice.
- Let the mixture boil until the water reduces.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is well cooked.
- Eat this rice at least twice daily as you note the progress and any improvements.
9. Carrot Soup:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 4 Fresh carrots, a cup of water and a pinch of salt.
Carrot is best known for its benefits in improving one’s eyesight, but what most people are not aware of is the fact that they can be used to prepare soup to manage diarrhea. The soup not only replenishes lost nutrients, it is also an excellent source of water. These benefits assist you get relief from the condition, allowing speedy healing.
- Clean the carrots well before chopping them in small pieces.
- Place the chopped carrot in a pan and add water before stirring in a pinch of salt.
- Boil the carrots until they are soft enough so as to allow for perfect blending.
- Blend the cooked carrots to your desired consistency.
- Take the soup thrice daily until you start to feel better and the diarrhea reduces.
10. Taking Enough Fluids:
Time Required: Intake of fluids is staggered through out the day.
What You Need: Choice of fluids include water, soups and broth.
One of the best ways to deal with diarrhea is to stay hydrated. As a golden rule, increasing your fluid intake helps restore the volume of body fluids by replacing that which is lost through loose watery stool. This therefore prevents dehydration while speeding up the healing process. Different fluids are available for you, and these include water, soups and broth. Soups and broths are ideal for those who would like a variety of tastes.
- Stagger your fluid intake throughout the day for best results.
11. Take Some Time to Rest:
Time Required: 1 to 2 Hrs daily.
What You Require: A quiet and comfortable place to rest
After taking your preferred natural remedy, sometimes all you need to do is to take some time off the frenzied pace of daily life and rest. This means getting enough sleep, and generally taking an hour or two to allow the body heal. When you are fatigued and suffering from diarrhea, the former only compounds the problem as it also compromises your body’s immunity.
- Simply rest.
Other remedies that you can use to speed up the healing process include black seed oil which is helpful in the management of digestive problems, peppermint as well as avoiding dairy products as these are known to worsen the condition. Some of the most critical dairy products to avoid include milk, cheese and butter. This is especially important for individuals who are lactose intolerant. Overall, this great remedies will ensure that you are back on your feet speedily.