Diabetes is a condition that affects one for life, and is manifested by high levels of sugar in one’s blood. There are two main types of diabetes, referred to as Type 1 and type 2. In Type 1 Diabetes, the cells that produce insulin (the hormone that regulates blood sugar concentration) are destroyed by the body. In Type 2 diabetes, the body does not synthesize adequate amounts of insulin or the hormone is produced but the body’s cells remain unresponsive. For the most part, the latter is more prevalent than Type 1 Diabetes. It is also important to note that there’s a third type of diabetes which affects pregnant women and is known as gestational diabetes.To understand the role of insulin, it is important to understand the role that insulin plays. When food is consumed, it is digested and travels through the digestive system where it is absorbed in the form of glucose.The presence of insulin regulates the concentration of blood sugar by allowing for its breakdown for energy production. In people with diabetes, the body’s inability to allow for glucose breakdown to produce energy means that the concentration of blood sugar remains higher than normal.
There are a number of symptoms that accompany diabetes including significant weight loss (which is not always accompanied by poor appetite), inexplicable fatigue, increased frequency of urination alongside excessive thirst and in some cases, poor vision. If one is keen, you may also notice that injuries to the skin take far much longer to heal than is normal. There is no cure for diabetes, so even with medical treatment, the focus remains on managing the condition. The good news is that there are a number of remedies that you can use to help manage the condition so as to keep blood sugar levels in check.
1. Fenugreek Seeds:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 5 Teaspoons of fenugreek seeds, warm water and strainer (optional). Alternatively, use 3 teaspoons of fenugreek powder and a glass of fresh milk.
Fenugreek seeds have multiple benefits for those suffering from diabetes. The high concentration of fiber allows the seeds to slow down the process of digestion, thus slowing down the rate of absorption. This is important because it prevents the sudden spikes in blood sugar levels. In addition, the seeds have a low hypoglycemic index that helps lower the concentration of blood sugar. Research also shows that fenugreek seeds contain compounds which trigger the production of insulin.
The best way to prepare the seeds is to soak them overnight so that they are ready the next morning. The other alternative is to take the powdered seeds alongside a glass of warm milk. In both options, you enjoy the benefits of the fiber-laden seeds. Follow the directions below to use this remedy as a simple way t manage diabetes.
Method 1: Soaking the Seeds Overnight
- Place 5 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a bowl and pour in the warm water so that the seeds are covered.
- Allow the seeds to soak overnight so that you indulge in the remedy first thing in the morning.
- The next morning, you may pass the soaked seeds through the strainer to get rid of the water, but the best thing to do is to take both the soaked seeds and water on an empty stomach.
- Use this remedy at least once daily to help you keep the blood sugar levels in check.
Method 2: Fenugreek Powder + Milk:
- Simply add 3 heaped teaspoons of fenugreek powder to a glass and pour in the warm milk.
- Stir to allow even dispersion and drink this remedy everyday without fail.
2. Aloe Vera Concoction:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Teaspoon each of fresh aloe vera gel, ground turmeric and bay leaves.
Using aloe vera gel to prepare a concoction that helps manage diabetes is one of the simplest remedies available. Aloe vera gel is used because it has been shown to significantly lower the levels of blood sugar. In addition, the gel is packed with compounds known as phytosterols. These compounds have a low glycemic index, making them suited for the management of Diabetes Type 2. Bay leaves and turmeric compliment the properties of the gel, making this combined remedy a powerful one for those suffering from diabetes.
- Place the bay leaves in a mortar and grind using a pestle so that you have a fine substance.
- Once you have collected the aloe vera gel from a fresh leaf, you will need to mix it with equal amounts of the crushed bay leaves and turmeric.
- Mix well until all the three ingredients are well blended.
- Take this herbal remedy at least twice daily, preferably before mealtimes for best results.
3. Green Tea:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Green tea bag and 1 cup of hot water. 1 tablespoon of honey (optional).
Green tea is a powerful remedy in the home management of diabetes. When taken on an empty stomach, the tea’s high concentration of polyphenols has been seen to be effective in the reduction of blood sugar levels. The presence of antioxidants in the tea makes this a seamless process. Overall, green tea is good for your health, and eases life for a person suffering from diabetes. Simply prepare a cup of green tea using the directions below.
- Boil the cup of hot water and turn off the heat.
- Place the teabag in the cup of hot water and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- You may stir in a tablespoon of honey as a natural sweetener.
- Drink this tea every day first thing in the morning.
4. Indian Gooseberry (Popularly Known as Amla):
Time Required: 15 min
What You Need: Indian gooseberry fruits and 1 glass of warm water.
Indian gooseberry is a popular fruit globally, thanks to its numerous healing properties and health benefits. In the management and home treatment of diabetes, the Indian gooseberry works by providing the body with Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an integral compound in the maintenance of constant blood sugar levels as it enhances the optimal function of the pancreas. This is key because the pancreatic cells are the source of insulin produced to regulate blood sugar levels. As with the other remedies mentioned above, it is best to take Amla on an empty stomach for great results.
- Squeeze the Indian Gooseberry fruits and collect the juice in a bowl.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the amla juice and mix it with the warm water in the glass.
- Stir the mixture and drink the remedy daily first thing when you wake up in the morning to ensure your blood sugar levels remain in check.
5. Holy Basil Leaves:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A handful of basil leaves, pestle and mortar as well as a few drops of water.
Basil leaves, sometimes referred to as tulsi, have a high concentration of antioxidants that help reduce cellular stress during various oxidative processes. Additionally, the leaves also have different oils that help reduce the levels of blood sugar in circulation. When taken regularly over a period of time, the leaves help prevent the sudden surges in blood sugar levels particulalry after meals.
- Sort the basil leaves and proceed to clean well before transferring to the pestle and mortar.
- Crush the leaves using the pestle and mortar. You may add a few drops of the water to ease the process and collection of the juice.
- Take 4 teaspoons of the extracted juice on an empty stomach every morning.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Isabgol and a glass of warm milk/water.
Isabgol, also known as Psyllium husk, is one of the most reliable home remedies for the management of diabetes at home. The husk is popular for its use as a laxative, but the remedy may also be used for reducing the high levels of blood sugar associated with diabetes.
The husk works because when ingested alongside water or milk, it absorbs the liquid and changes its structure from a dry husk to a gelatinous compound. As this compound passes through the digestive tract, it slows down digestion and absorption of the glucose, in turn regulating the levels of blood sugar present.
NOTE: The key to getting the most of this remedy is to take Isabgol after meals, and avoiding curd at all costs as this could easily cause indigestion.
- Simply take the Isabgol after your meals, preferably with warm milk or water.
- Use the remedy daily.
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Tender shoot found on the neem plant, pestle and mortar and some warm water.
Neem leaves are a versatile remedy as they have a host of healing properties. When used for the management of diabetes, the active compounds in the leaves work by improving the sensitivity of the insulin receptors in the body. Neem juice also allows for the dilation of the blood vessels, effectively allowing for the reduction of blood sugar levels. Depending on the medication provided by your doctor, neem leaves may also work by decreasing your reliance on prescription medication. For this remedy, you need to get the tender shoots of the plant as they are easier to use for juice extraction.
- Sort the leaves and clean well before grinding using a pestle and mortar.
- Add a few drops of water to get the juice and grind some more.
- Drink the juice on an empty stomach every day.
8. Stay Active by Exercising Regularly:
Time Required: Varies depending on your choice exercise routine.
What You Need: Appropriate exercise gear depending on your preferred routine.
Exercise has the capacity to treat diabetes without any medical intervention. This is because exercise helps reduce obesity which is one of the leading causes of diabetes globally. By allowing people with diabetes to deal with a sedentary lifestyle, exercise has also been shown to improve the sensitivity of cell receptors to the presence of insulin. additional benefits of exercising include a reduction in the cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure. Regular exercise goes a long way in reducing the complications associated with diabetes.
While it may not be possible to get in to intense exercise right away, you should be encouraged because even moderate exercise at least thrice weekly helps in the management of diabetes. Since there is the risk of injury, it is advisable to seek the opinion of your doctor for the right routines and the time duration of the same to avert the risk of injuries that take long to heal.
- Alongside your doctor’s advice, choose an exercise routine that you can build on over a period of time.
Other remedies that you can use to manage diabetes include apple cider vinegar (often abbreviated ACV) whose compounds regulate the upsurge in blood sugar levels after meals, flaxseed oil which ensures proper functioning of the cells as well as alfalfa. In recent studies, cinnamon has been shown to help decrease the amounts of blood sugar while improving the pancreas’ ability to produce insulin.
Increasing your intake of hole foods also goes a long way in helping you manage diabetes as these foods provide the body with a steady supply of blood glucose. If you have any concerns about the remedies mentioned above, or any improvements in your health as regards diabetes, make sure you see your physician immediately.