Dark circles around the eyes are a common occurrence in individuals who do not get enough sleep, but it is also important to note that there are other causes of these circles. In some instances, dark circles are merely the shadows created by puffy eyes. Other causes of dark circles include allergic reactions, eczema and extreme exposure to the sun. In some individuals, dark circles are a hereditary feature, so it is not uncommon to find dark circles running in a particular family.
It is also important to note that in a number of cases, dark circles around the eyes are as a result of aging. As the skin
loses fat and elasticity, they cause the visibility of blood vessels in the eye region to become more profound.
Other causes of these circles include excessive rubbing of the eyes and fatigue. While dark circles are not a medial emergency, they have the capacity to ruin one’s self esteem.
Granted, there are products available in the market that purport to get rid of this problem. While they may be effective to certain extent, the high concentration of chemicals poses a grave risk to users. This is where natural remedies come in handy. By using these simple solutions, you are able to steer clear of potentially harmful chemicals and give your eyes a new lease of life. Most of the items you require for the respective remedies are easily available.
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: Fresh cucumber
Cucumber is one of the most common home remedies, thanks to its rejuvenating effects. Additionally, this home remedy is preferable for dark circles under the eyes because it has a subtle lightening effect on the skin. Its astringent properties also make it ideal in this regard. An astringent remedy is, by definition, one that causes different tissues in the body to contract and tighten. When used on the eye region, it helps tighten the muscles around the eye, preventing the characteristic saggy look that dark circles create.
- Wash the fresh cucumber and proceed to slice it into sizable pieces.
- Refrigerate the cut slices for half an hour.
- Remove the chilled cucumber slices and place them on the affected area, allowing them to stay for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the affected area with warm water. This remedy can be used thrice daily for about two weeks for improved results.
2. Raw Potato:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Medium-sized raw potatoes, grater, piece of cloth to extract the juice, and a cotton ball.
Potatoes are rich in Vitamin C, and this is critical in the maintenance of healthy skin. In addition to this, potatoes are also a natural skin brightener. This skin lightening property makes it a perfect remedy for eliminating dark circles.
- Wash the potatoes carefully to eliminate dirt on the surface before grating to get small pieces.
- Wrap the grated potatoes in a piece of cloth and wring tightly to get the potato juice.
- Roll a piece of cotton wool in the juice to soak it up with the juice.
- Dab the juice on the affected areas and let the cotton wool cover the area for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat this procedure twice daily over a period of two weeks or until you notice an improvement.
- Alternatively, mix the grated potatoes with grated cucumbers for best results, keeping in mind the advantages of using cucumber as mentioned above.
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Fresh ripe and firm tomatoes, and a sharp knife.
Tomatoes are packed with antioxidants, key ingredients in fighting free radicals. The red succulent fruits are also rich in Vitamins C, E and B, all of which help maintain the skin in proper health. Additionally, tomatoes have acidic properties which enable get rid of excessive oil on the skin. Lastly, tomatoes work as an excellent moisturizer when applied on the skin. With all these benefits, it is not hard to see why the fruits are recommended as an effective home remedy against dark circles.
- Wash the affected area prior to using this remedy. This is a sure way of ensuring that your skin pores breathe, and allow the natural remedy to work its course.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut in half.
- Rub the tomatoes on the affected regions in slow steady circular motions. You may attempt to gently squeeze the halved tomato pieces to release the natural juices onto the dark circles.
- Allow the juice to soak in the circles for about 15 minutes to ensure maximum penetration into the skin pores. if you are not time-strapped, you could wait out this remedy for a good 30 minutes – you can be sure it will not be harmful to your health.
- You will then rinse your face using cold water. The purpose of using cold water is to seal the pores with the choice remedy. The tomato dark circle treatment can be repeated daily for effective results.
- You could also mash up the tomatoes to get a gooey past which you can then apply on your face as a tomato mask.
4. Fresh Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: The freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons of mashed tomatoes, and some cotton wool.
Lemon juice is an extremely handy home remedy whose diverse uses make it perfect for getting rid of dark circles. The juice also has a mild skin-lightening effect, thus enabling individuals deal with the affected regions. The advantages of tomato juice have been discussed above, so the combination of lemon juice and tomato paste is a formidable choice against dark circles.
- Mix a tablespoon of the lemon juice with two tablespoons of the mashed tomatoes to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the areas affected by the dark circles in gentle circular motions.
- Allow the paste to stay on the dark circles for about 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Use this remedy once daily until you start to note improvements.
- The other way you can use lemon juice is to soak some cotton wool in it, and dab the juice around and on the dark circles. Let the cotton wool stay in place for about 15 minutes before rinsing. Repeat this remedy once everyday.
NB: In cases where the lemon juice incorporated causes a stinging sensation, it is advisable to pause the remedy as this could be reflective of underlying skin conditions.
5. Almond Oil:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Almond oil and a teaspoon of honey.
Almond oil is a key component of skin care products because it has a high concentration of Vitamin E. Vitamin E in the oil is integral in proper skin care. the oil is also effective in getting rid of dark circles, thanks to its skin lightening characteristics. After application, the oil also enhances the skin’s capacity to retain moisture, and thus remain hydrated.
Preserved moisture on the affected area of dark circles is one of the effective ways in which almond oil alleviates the condition. While at it, the oil’s anti inflammatory traits make it a perfect accompaniment for those whose dark circles are the result of excessive rubbing of the eyes. Honey on the hand, is an antibacterial that effectively cleans the affected area and tones the skin.
- Wash your face before applying this remedy, making sure to pay attention to the area with dark circles.
- Put a few drops of the oil on your palm and mix it with the honey. Using your index finger, massage this mixture on the dark circles.
- Unlike other remedies which you are required to rinse off, using almond oil actually requires you to sleep with the oil overnight in order to allow slow and effective working of the remedy.
- On waking up, rinse your face with cold water and use a facial moisturizer to lock in the mixture. Apply this remedy once, preferably at bedtime. Over a few weeks, you should be able to notice changes as far as the dark circles are concerned.
6. Rose Water:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Rose water and eye pads.
Rose water is known to be an amazing ingredient in the formulation of skin care products. Not only does Rose Water reinvigorate the skin, it also has a mild astringent trait that tones the skin around the eyes. For tired eyes, the gentle Rose Water provides a cool soothing effect that relaxes the area around the dark circles.
- Put some of the Rose Water in a container and allow the eye pads to soak.
- Close your eyes and place the soaked pads on the dark circles.
- Allow the pads to stay on the dark circles for about 15 minutes. Use this home remedy twice everyday for a couple of weeks until you start to notice positive changes.
Even with the option of natural home remedies for dark circles, it is advisable to take practical steps to prevent dark circles from forming. Getting adequate rest for instance, is a good place to start. A balanced diet that also incorporates some of the aforementioned food components is also an excellent way to keep dark circles at bay. More importantly, consistency is key if any one given remedy is meant to show improvements as far as the visibility of dark circles is concerned.
- Best Home Remedies For Bags Under The Eye
- Best Home Remedies For Age Spots
- Best Home Remedies For a Black Eye