Dark knees have slowly evolved to become the bane of summer holidays, so much so that most people would rather stay indoors than be seen on the beach with such knees. For many people, the darkening of the skin around the knees is cause for embarrassment, and easily influences one’s wardrobe choices.
Such individuals tend to stay away from shorts and mini dresses, instead opting for clothes that go below the knees. For the most part, dark knees do not warrant medical attention. They can, however, make it difficult for affected individuals to live ‘normally’.
The most exciting bit about dark knees is that they can be treated with relative ease at home. There are a number of natural remedies that you can incorporate into your daily skin care routines to help get rid of dark knees.
The typical mode of action for these natural remedies is exfoliation which effectively gets rid of dead skin that accumulates on the knees, as well as bleaching properties of the remedies, thus ensuring the lightening of the knees.
While these remedies work perfectly well over a long period of time, it is important to consider the constituent ingredients of each remedy, and to avoid it in totality if one shows an allergic reaction. It is also important to know that dark knees occur in both men and women across all races.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Fresh lemon, pure petroleum jelly, and warm water to rinse (optional).
Lemon is an excellent remedy for dark knees because it combines its exfoliation properties with its bleaching traits – a double action that makes it one of the best natural treatments.The presence of antioxidants in the lemon also help get rid of free radicals that cause damage to the skin. The elimination of these free radicals allows for the generation of healthy skin cells, thus improving the skin’s surface in the knee region.
- Wash the lemon well and proceed to cut it in half.
- Squeeze a small amount out of the lemons so that you end up with two cup-like structures, one for each knee.
- Scrub each lemon cup on the knees, making sure that you rub the pulp, gently but firmly.
- Let the juice stay on the skin, and avoid exposing to direct sunlight.
- You may rinse your knees with warm water, but for best results, simply allow the lemon juice to dry on your knees.
- Follow this up with the moisturization of your knees, preferably using pure petroleum jelly. Over the days, you will start noticing that your elbows are softer, smoother, and do not have the characteristic ashy appearance of dark knees.
- Repeat this procedure until you notice a significant improvement, after which you will use as and when required.
2. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Sea Salt:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Half cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, half cup of sea salt, warm water, and moisturizing lotion.
The mixture containing lemon juice, olive oil and salt is a simple yet effective way to deal with dark knees. Each of the ingredients in this home remedy play a specific role that contributes to the lightening of skin on the knees. The lemon juice exfoliates the skin, while the olive oil moisturizes the skin around the knees. Knees typically have thicker skin than most parts of the body, and this is characterized by the numerous folds that are present. In addition, the lack of oil glands means that the knees are predisposed to dryness, which is where the olive oil comes in handy. Sea salt on the other hand, is abrasive. When included in this remedy, it acts as an exfoliant and compliments the functions of the other two ingredients.
- Place the sea salt and olive oil in a bowl and proceed to add the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Mix the ingredients well so that you get an even paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and massage in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- Let the paste remain on your knees for another 5 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Apply some moisturizing lotion to wind up this procedure.
- Use this remedy at least once daily.
3. Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Coconut oil. Lemon juice and paper towels are optional.
Coconut oil is a remarkably great remedy for the management of dark knees. This is because the high concentration of vitamin E helps lighten the skin when applied on the knee. In addition to this, coconut oil also works as an excellent skin moisturizer, especially when applied immediately after a warm bath. If you have had an amazing childhood and have marks and scars to show for it on your knees, the use of coconut oil helps repair the scarred skin when used consistently over a long period of time.
- Apply a tablespoon of the coconut oil on your knees after a warm bath and massage for about 5 minutes. You can repeat this procedure severally through out the day for a remarkable improvement in the condition of your skin.
- Alternatively, mix the coconut oil with a teaspoon of lemon juice and rub the mixture on your dark knees. Let the mixture sit on the knees for 5 minutes before wiping off with paper towels.
- You can repeat this procedure once daily.
4. Baking Powder:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: A tablespoon of baking powder, some warm milk, warm water, and petroleum jelly.
Baking powder has long been used as an effective home remedy for a wide range of skin conditions, and the treatment of dark knees is no exception. Baking powder is mixed with milk in this remedy, bringing together the properties required for the treatment of dark ashy knees. The baking powder acts as an exfoliant, thus helping get rid of dead cells that accumulate on the knees, while the milk nourishes the skin and gives it a healthy appearance. The synergistic benefits of the two make this remedy an ideal way to reduce the pigmentation on the knees.
- Place tablespoon of baking soda in a shallow bowl and proceed to add the milk. The idea here is to create a consistent paste which you can apply on the knees with ease.
- Apply this paste on the knees and rub in the mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the paste with warm water and dry using a clean towel.
- Apply some petroleum jelly to seal the effects as well as to hydrate the knees.
- Repeat this procedure until you are satisfied with the improved results.
5. Sugar and Olive Oil Scrub:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: A tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of olive oil, and cotton wool.
The benefits of sugar sand olive oil scrub include exfoliation which eliminates dead skin cells found on the knees, moisturization as well as retaining the health of the skin around the knees. This simple remedy combines the benefits of sugar as an exfoliant and the hydration of the skin by olive oil, ingredients which are readily available and can be found in the kitchen.
- Mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to get a grainy paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and massage for five minutes.
- Wipe off the paste on the knees using some cotton wool.
- Repeat this procedure at least once daily. After a few weeks, you will notice a significant improvement in the condition of your knees.
6. Turmeric, Milk, and Honey:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Warm milk, a teaspoon of turmeric powder, a teaspoon of honey, warm water to rinse, and moisturizer.
The combination of these three ingredients makes for an excellent remedy in the natural treatment of dark ashy knees. The milk has skin lightening properties that help manage hyper-pigmentation in the knee region, as well as nutrients that nourish the skin. Turmeric on the other hand acts as an antiseptic, thus reducing the chances of skin infection in the knee region. Honey also has great antimicrobial properties that protect the skin as well as hydrate and moisturize it. The blend of these different properties is a great way to lighten and moisturize dark ashy knees
- Mix the turmeric powder with the honey and stir until you have a paste-like substance.
- Add the milk consistently until you get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your knees and let the paste remain on the skin for about 10 minutes.
- Once this time has elapsed, rinse your knees with warm water and apply moisturizing lotion. You will notice a big difference after several weeks of use.
7. Vinegar and Yogurt:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Three tablespoons of vinegar, an equivalent amount of natural yogurt, warm water, and moisturizing lotion.
Vinegar is ideal for the treatment of dark ashy skin as it not only helps remove spots on the skin, it also works by cleansing the skin’s pores. The addition of yogurt to this home remedy is done to enhance the moisturization of the skin on the knees. Natural yogurt is also preferable because of its antimicrobial properties. The synergistic action of the two ingredients makes for an excellent skin lightening and cleansing regimen. You can get these simple affordable ingredients from any nearby grocery store.
- Take three tablespoons of vinegar and add plain yogurt until you get a thick consistent paste. You may need to add more yogurt to the vinegar as it is thicker and tends to give you a paste that is relatively easier to apply.
- Apply this paste on your knees and allow to dry. During this period, you skin gets to benefit from the natural ingredients.
- When the paste has dried, wet your hands and rinse the paste off.
- Apply an appropriate skin moisturizer and repeat the procedure once daily for best results.
8. Aloe Vera Gel:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Fresh aloe vera leaf and warm water.
It is almost impossible to draw up a list of home remedies for varied skin conditions without including aloe vera gel. The gel’s moisturizing properties, coupled with the plant’s ability to renew and rejuvenate the skin makes it ideal for treating dark knees. In its natural state, the gel contains no additives, making it 100% organic. In addition, the gel helps smooth the skin and reverse the damages caused by the sun’s UV rays. The latter compounds the condition on dark ashy knees, so using this gel is a welcome experience for affected persons.
- Slice the aloe vera leaf in half and collect the gel that oozes out of the fleshy side of the leaf.
- Apply this gel to your knees and massage for some five minutes.
- Let the gel dry on the knees before rinsing with warm water.
- Apply an appropriate skin moisturizer to lock in the effects of the aloe vera gel.
- Use this remedy twice daily for best results.
Other ideal remedies used to treat dark ashy knees include bleaching fruits such as tomatoes and grapes, cocoa butter whose natural fats help moisturize the skin as well as a mixture containing lemons and gram flour. Lemons act as a bleaching agent that aids in the reduction of the knees’ hyper-pigmentation while the gram flour cleanses and exfoliates the knees. Vitamin E oil is also an effective home remedy for the treatment of dark knees, thanks to its capacity to heal the skin. All these remedies must be accompanied by a proper skin care routine if the effects are to show positive results. Proper diet also contributes to the health of the skin around the knees, so make sure you incorporate lots of fruits and vegetables at meal times.
- Best Home Remedies For Uneven Skin Tone
- Best Home Remedies For a Sun Burn
- Best Home Remedies For Bruising