The health of your hair follicles is the key to healthy lustrous hair, and as such, plays a key role. When these follicles are damaged, hair starts to fall out and this often leads to dull and dry hair.
Some of the factors that lead to damaged hair follicles include age, extreme heat when styling hair, harsh weather conditions as well as certain conditions that affect the normal growth of hair. In some cases, the hair follicles get blocked following the excessive accumulation of oil.
The good news is that there are natural home remedies that you may use for the restoration of the follicles. Products that nourish the scalp and hair are a good place to start. More importantly, a number of the remedies listed below are easily obtained from your kitchen cabinet, and all you need to do is to make them a regular part of your hair care routine.
1. Eat a Balanced Diet:
Time Required: Varies depending on the specific food.
What You Need: A healthy balanced diet that provides all the nutrients required for healthy hair.
At the core of healthy hair follicles and certainly healthy hair, is the need to eat a balanced diet. The state of your follicles is directly related to your eating habits. In case there are any vitamin deficiencies, or a shortage of mineral elements, it is likely that the hair follicles will be affected. The result is dull hair and damaged follicles. In order to get the most from your diet, ensure that you have enough proteins as these form the basic structure of the hair follicle and resulting hair strands.
- Take a balanced diet to improve the overall health of your hair.
2. Prepare Smoothie with Specific Ingredients:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Frozen berries, 1 tablespoon of probiotic powder, gingko biloba, hemp protein, coconut oil, pumpkin seed oil as well as almond milk. You may add a banana to sweeten the smoothie.
This combination of ingredients is considered one of the most potent for the restoration of hair follicles. Each of the ingredients plays an important role in this. Bananas make for a healthy source of energy, and help sweeten the mixture. Probiotic powder improves the function of the gut, and this improves the absorption of nutrients from the digested food. Studies show that gingko biloba is helpful for enhanced hair growth, and this is added for its supplemental effect.
Hemp protein is a key addition to this smoothie because it provides proteins which form the building units of keratin so that the restoration of the follicles is faster. Frozen berries for instant, have antioxidants that go a long way in delaying cellular aging. Touted as one of the leading causes of damaged hair follicles, cellular aging poses a challenge for many people. To counter this, add the fresh berries to help protect your scalp and hair. What’s more, berries are rich in trace elements which, though required in small amounts, are key to the development of healthy hair follicles.
Use coconut oil for its health benefits on the hair. the oil not only helps with dry brittle hair, it is also rich in Vitamin E which is key for the proper development of the follicles. Pumpkin seed oil on the other hand, has been shown to improve hair growth, and is added to this remedy as a supplement. Lastly, top off the smoothie with almond milk which is preferred because it does not cause intolerance in comparison to dairy milk.
- Chop the banana and mix it with the berries.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour in the container with the fruits mixture.
- Blend the resulting mixture for a few minutes until the smoothie gets the desired consistency.
- Drink this power smoothie daily, preferably in the morning for optimal absorption from the gut.
3. Use Homemade Shampoo:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Cup of water and liquid castile soap, 2/3 cup of fresh aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of glycerin, 3 tablespoons of almond oil and 20 drops of essential oil.
One of the best things you can do when working on treatments to get rid of damaged hair follicles is to avoid using shampoos that use Sodium Laurly Sulphate. Abbreviated SLS, this chemical compound is not only responsible for the characteristic foaming of shampoo, it also strips the hair of its moisture and is extremely harsh for the hair follicles. While the shampoos do clean the hair and scalp, they are also responsible for corroding at the hair strands every time you wash your hair. A better alternative to this is the use of homemade shampoo whose ingredients have numerous health benefits for the hair.
Water forms the basis of the shampoo, while liquid castile soap forms the foam and works towards cleaning the hair and scalp. Aloe vera gel is known to have excellent restorative traits that help the damaged hair follicles to heal. Glycerin is thick and viscous, and its ability to retain moisture on the skin makes it a perfect choice for the preparation of the home-made shampoo. Add both almond and geranium essential oil to the shampoo for their gentle nature and antiseptic properties. Prepare the shampoo as indicated in the directions below.
- Mix all the ingredients in a clean container and mix thoroughly to allow the ingredients blend with each other.
- Once the mixture is homogenous, that is, all the ingredients are well mixed, set the shampoo aside.
- Detangle your hair and wet it before you lather the homemade shampoo on the wet hair.
- Gently scrub the scalp and hair for a few minutes.
- Rinse severally to get rid of the foamy mixture and to ensure that the scalp remains clean.
4. Bentonite Clay Hair Mask:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of bentonite clay and 1 glass of warm water.
One of the causes of damaged hair follicles is the blockage that occurs when oils and debris plug the follicle openings over a period of time. This build up, at the onset, may not cause havoc but after some time, the accumulated dirt clogs the hair follicle. Often, as a result of hair products and sweat, this debris may be acidic in nature. The presence of the acid further destroys the follicle. To counter this reaction, it becomes important to use a natural remedy that opposes the effects of the acidic content. Bentonite clay comes in handy for this purpose. It helps clear the clogged pores and its mineral content soothes the scalp. this is a simple remedy that gives the follicles a chance to recover and become healthy.
- Place the bentonite clay (available as a powder) in a glass and pour in the warm water.
- Add water in bits until you are content with the thickness of the wet clay.
- Apply the wet clay on the scalp and on wet hair.
- Massage gently for a few minutes and rinse thoroughly before proceeding with your normal hair routine,
- Use this remedy once weekly to treat damaged hair follicles.
5. Massage the Scalp:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: Massage techniques.
Hair follicles flourish when there is an adequate supply of fresh oxygen and nutrients. To achieve this, it is important to have increased blood circulation to the scalp from where the follicles get increased nutrition. Consequently, an increase in the amount of oxygen and nutrients speeds up the process of follicular repair, and this restores the normal function of the hair follicles. to get the most from this natural treatment, it is important to perform particular scalp massages that provide the best results. Below is a set of three simple exercises that you may use to improve the flow of blood to the follicles.
Exercise Routine 1
- Place your hands at the back of your head so that the palms lie in line with the part behind the ears.
- In this position, your finger tips should be facing upwards upwards.
- Start to slowly and gently clasp your hands in order to squeeze, doing so in gentle circular motions.
- Repeat this for a minute or so.
- Do not apply too much pressure to avoid pain at the back of the skull.
Exercise Routine 2
- After the first routine, shift your hands up and forward. this allows the palms of your hands to rest right at the top of your ears.
- Again, squeeze in gently but steadily, all the while moving your arms in a circular motion.
- For best results, it helps to bend forward as this increases the amount of blood flowing to the scalp. Take caution, however, not to bend for long periods of time as this could cause dizziness.
- Limit this routine to not more than 5 minutes.
Exercise Routine 3
- This is the last of the set of exercise routines, and simply requires you to place your hands on the sides of your face.
- As with the other 2 exercises, squeeze in softly and gently. Do this in circular motions for best results.
- In addition, you may enhance the efficiency of this exercise by moving your eye brows up and down while doing the exercise.
- Repeat this set of routines for a total of 10 minutes at least once daily. Be consistent and you will be amazed at just how much a simple exercise can change the health of your hair follicles or the better.
6. Use a Simple Head Massager:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A Head Massager.
The head massager is a simple yet ingenious way to increase blood flow to the follicles and therefore stimulate their recovery. This simple tool is a must have if you love your hair. It consists of soft ends attached to a metal structure. The ends are of different lengths, and when used to massage the scalp, help relieve tension and encourage blood flow. Buy the massager from a beauty shop near you.
- Use the head massager for 5-10 minutes, doing so gently and enjoying the sensation of the same. The advantage of using this remedy is that you can always massage the scalp while doing something else, like watching telly or while on the phone, provided one hand is free.
7. Eggs + Honey Mask:
Time Required: 45 Min
What You Need: 2 Fresh eggs, warm water, 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of either coconut/almond oil, shower cap and cold water.
It is impossible to list home remedies for treating damaged hair follicles without including egg and honey. Eggs are nature’s own perfect hair conditioner, and the high concentration of proteins means that this remedy helps repair the follicles with ease. honey on the other hand, forms a protective coating on the hair strands, and this serves to protect the hair strands and follicles from getting stripped of moisture. By keeping the scalp hydrated, this combined remedy helps prevent further damage of the hair follicles. The benefits of using coconut oil have been listed above. Use this remedy as often as you need to until you notice a change in the health of your hair follicles.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl until they acquire a watery consistency for ease of application.
- Add in the honey and the coconut/almond oil and whisk the mixture to mix all the ingredients evenly.
- Apply a generous amount of the egg remedy on the scalp and hair, massaging in circular motions while at it.
- Wear a shower cap to lock in the moisture and let the remedy sit for about half an hour.
- Use cool water to rinse the remedy off. Avoid hot water as this will cook the egg, making it harder to get rid of.
- Use this remedy once weekly, and find ways to incorporate it into your weekly hair routine.
8. Avocado Pulp:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Ripe avocado, a spoon/fork, bowl and warm water to rinse.
Avocado is another excellent choice for the natural treatment of damaged hair follicles. The pulp of the ripe fruit is extremely easy to use and effective. The fruit is rich in healthy fats that contribute to the overall health of the hair follicles. Regular use of this remedy also helps prevent the stripping of the scalp’s natural oils so that over a period of time, the damage to the follicles is reduced significantly. All you need is the ripe fruit and warm water to rinse. If you like, you may add the remedy to your regular hair care routine.
- Get the flesh of the ripe fruit and mash it in a bowl. Use a fork or spoon to do this.
- Once you have obtained the desired consistency, apply the mashed avocado on the scalp and massage it in.
- Let the remedy remain on the scalp for 20 minutes or so.
- Rinse the avocado pulp using warm water and repeat at least once weekly.
In addition to the remedies listed above, it is important to manage your hair styling techniques. This helps sift through harsh styling techniques and avoid those that add too much heat to the hair. Whenever possible, let your wet hair dry on its own. If you must, use the lowest setting available on the blow dryer. Remember to use the appropriate hair products for your hair type. Damaged follicles are treatable using natural remedies. If you have cause for concern however, make sure you see a trichologist. A trichologist is a qualified professional who helps people manage their hair and any scalp conditions that may arise, of which severely damaged hair follicles are part of.