Colon cleansing refers to the process by which toxins are eliminated from the gut. This is important because the accumulation of toxins in the digestive system, which includes the colon, affects the process of digestion and ultimately one’s overall health. When the colon is clogged with toxins, the system becomes slow and sluggish, and it becomes difficult to carry out daily tasks. Some of the symptoms that accompany toxin accumulation in the colon include bodily fatigue, low energy levels, chronic diseases as well as bloating and constipation.
While the body is able to carry out detoxification on its own, excessive accumulation of the toxins necessitates the use of external natural remedies to cleanse the colon and aid its function in the removal of solid waste. Below are remedies that should help with a colon cleanse, each of which has directions on how to use and the benefits of the same. This is important because sometimes, the symptoms result from undigested foods that pass through the colon, and whose presence leads to the accumulation of mucus and toxins in the colon. Remember to consult your doctor on your preferred home remedy especially if you have doubts or are on medication for a different condition. The natural remedies below are recommended because they have minimal side effects, making them ideal for many people.
1. Drinking Water:
Time Required: Varied, spread throughout the day
What You Need: Adequate drinking water
One of the simplest ways to carry out a colon cleanse is to stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. The general guide is to take at least 8 glasses daily, but this amount varies from one person to another depending on their activity levels, health status and medication used if any. The reason why water acts as an excellent cleanser is because it provides the body with enough volumes of fluids, which in turn provide the lubrication required to get rid of toxins accumulated in the body.Another benefit of taking lots of water is that it triggers peristalsis. Peristalsis is a natural process that allows wave-like movements to push food material along in the gut. When dehydration occurs, this peristaltic action is reduced and it then allows toxins to accumulate. Water is recommended as the natural remedy because it is both effective and easy to use.
- Drink enough water throughout the day.
- If you find the plain taste of water a bit of a challenge, add some freshly squeezed lemon juice or fresh mint leaves for a refreshing burst of flavor.
2. Apple Juice:
Time Required: 10 Min + 30 Min break.
What You Need: 1 Glass of unfiltered apple juice and 1 glass of warm water.
In addition to water, one of the most incredible home remedies used for carrying out colon cleanse is apple juice. Freshly prepared apple juice is preferred, but it its absence, packed organic apple juice may be used. The contents of the juice encourage peristaltic action within the gut, effectively improving bowel movement. This helps eliminate toxins from the body while cleansing the colon. In addition to this, apple juice is packed with antioxidants that help with the removal of free radicals while improving the overall health of the gut. Use the apple juice alongside drinking water for the best results.
- Kick start your day by drinking one glass of unfiltered apple juice.
- Take half an hour break and proceed to take a glass of water.
- Repeat this daily for a week or so.
Note that for this remedy to be effective, solid food must be avoided as it may only compound the symptoms associated with toxin build up.
3. Homemade Cleanse:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1/2 Teaspoon of sea salt, 1/4 cup of apple juice, 2 tablespoons each of ginger juice and fresh lemon juice and 1 glass of warm water.
This homemade colon cleanse combines a number of the remedies to make for an effective treatment. As mentioned above, water is added to the homemade cleanse to not only provide a base but also to allow the elimination of toxins from the colon. Sea salt is added because it aids in the release of toxins from the surrounding cells while encouraging the movement of waste through the gut. Apple has immense benefits as aforementioned, thanks to its excellent nutrients and antioxidants that help ensure the colon functions optimally.
Ginger juice on the other hand, is a great addition to this homemade colon cleanser because it helps reduce bloating while encouraging the function of the colon. This is key in the management of the symptoms associated with the buildup of toxins in the body. Do not forget about the benefits of lemon juice whose high concentration of Vitamin C makes it a great antioxidant. Additionally, lemon juice is recommended for detoxification, which is why it comes in handy during colon cleansing.
- Warm the water first before adding any of the remedy’s ingredients. Do this until the water acquires a comfortable temperature, that is water that is not too hot, neither is it cold.
- Pour the water into a glass then add the sea salt and stir to allow dissolution
- Next, add the apple juice, ginger juice and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture once more.
- Drink this colon cleanse first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for enhanced absorption and effective cleansing.
- It is also advisable to take this remedy just before lunch and follow up with a light lunch.
- Combine this remedy with adequate drinking water throughout the day.
4. Fresh Vegetable Juice:
Time Required: 20 minutes
What You Need: A wide range of vegetables that range from beets, to corn, carrots, kale, spinach and broccoli among others as well as a blender.
Treat your colon to an easy cleanse of fresh vegetable juice to help get rid of toxins from the digestive system. Green leafy veggies are especially effective because they are rich in a compound known as chlorophyll (this is the green coloring matter in the vegetables). Chlorophyll helps get rid of toxins from the gut, while the presence of vitamins, minerals and enzymes ensures that the cells of the digestive system function well.
NOTE: When using this remedy it is advisable to use fresh veggies and not ready made ones. This is for the simple reason that the ready-made vegetables lack the necessary enzymes required to assist the body breakdown and eliminate waste products from the colon.
- Start by assembling all the vegetables together. Vibrantly colored veggies are ideal because they are rich in antioxidants, and need not be cooked to carry out colon cleanse. Some of the vegetables available include, beetroot, carrots, red and yellow pepper, squash, corn, kale and spinach among others.
- It is very important to ensure that you clean the vegetables well before blending. As a general guide, it is advisable to go for organic veggies for a healthier option.
- Chop the vegetables into fine pieces to ease the process of blending as well as to ensure that there aren’t any large chunks in the resulting juice. You may also use a juicer in place of the blender.
- Serve up a glass of the fresh vegetable juice first thing in the morning and once again before a light dinner.
5. Probiotic Yogurt:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1 Cup of yogurt. Fresh fruits and cereals (optional).
One of the simplest and most effective remedies of improving colon health over a period of time revolves around the increased intake of probiotic yogurt. Probiotic yogurt is packed with live and active cultures that improve the population of the good bacteria in the gut. This in turn, improves the process of digestion and significantly reduces the symptoms associated with toxin build up in the colon. Some of these symptoms include flatulence, constipation and discomfort. Additionally, yogurt is also rich in Calcium which has been shown to reduce the increase of the cells in the tissue lining the colon. You may drink the yogurt on its own or opt to add fruits.
- Take 1 glass of yogurt daily, preferably with a light snack or on its own.
- Alternatively, pour some of the yogurt on a bowl of fresh fruit or breakfast cereal for a healthy and filling snack, all the while improving the body’s ability to get rid of toxins in the colon.
6. Sea Salt Cleanse:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 2 Teaspoons of sea salt and 1 glass of warm drinking water.
Sea salt is an effective and simply remedy to use when preparing colon cleanse. The salt’s detoxifying properties help draw toxins from the colon and enhance their elimination as well. Another benefit of using the sea salt cleanse is that it encourages the peristaltic movement that helps to keep waste moving along the large intestine. This is a simple way to address constipation that often makes it hard to pass stool regularly. It is important, however, that the use of the remedy must be done in regulation as too much of the salt can easily cause diarrhea. Additionally, this remedy must also be taken alongside plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
NOTE: The use of this remedy is advised against in pregnant women. Anyone suffering from high blood pressure, kidney disease or heart disorders is also barred from using this remedy as it can cause severe complications.
- Take 2 teaspoons of the sea salt and place in a glass of water.
- Stir the solution before transferring it to a pan for boiling.
- Boil for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Drink the warm salty solution first thing in the morning.
- After a few minutes, lie down and gently massage your tummy region. This is recommended because it triggers bowel movements.
- Use this remedy at least once weekly.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Ground flaxseeds to be added to cereal or foods. Alternatively, use 1 tablespoon of the ground flaxseed in a glass of water.
Flaxseed is an excellent home remedy for the process of colon cleansing. Not only are the seeds laden with omega-3-fatty acids which are great for cell development, they are also rich in antioxidants which help fight free radicals and ultimately make it possible for toxins to be eliminated from the body. One of the most amazing things about using flaxseed is that, on consumption, the seeds absorb water and expand in the colon. This not only allows toxins to be drawn from the gut, but also assists the waste as it goes through the gut. Flaxseed is also a great addition to one’s diet because it is beneficial for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and in some cases, cancer.
There are Two ways in which you may use Flaxseed.
- You may simply add the ground flaxseed to your bowl of cereals, fresh fruits or yogurt.
- Alternatively, place 1 tablespoon of the ground flaxseed in a glass of water and let it soak for a couple of minutes.
- Drink this mixture at least half an hour before breakfast and just before bedtime.
8. Aloe Vera Gel:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Freshly cut aloe vera leaf, 1 lemon and a blender.
Aloe vera is a popular natural remedy whose healing properties range from its ability to detoxify as well as its laxative properties. As a laxative, aloe vera gel encourages the expulsion of waste from the body through bowel movements. You will need a fresh aloe vera leaf and the juice of one lemon for this remedy.
- Slice the aloe vera leaf vertically to allow the production of the fresh gel.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon and mix it with the gel.
- You may blend this mixture before drinking it.
- Take this remedy twice daily.
- Refrigerate the remainder and use within 2 days.
The most important thing when using remedies for colon cleansing is to use the remedies with caution, especially for expectant women, lactating mothers and invalids. Always check with your doctor before starting on any remedy.