Arteries make up the circulatory system, and are one of the key vessels in the body tasked with transporting oxygenated blood to the vital organs. These arterial system spans from the brain to the toes. Typically, healthy arteries feature smooth walls allowing for the seamless flow of blood. This, however, is not always the case as the arteries sometimes get blocked following the buildup of a compound known as plaque on the inside part of the arteries. Plaque is a fibrous and fatty compound whose deposits within the arteries cause the arterial diameter to narrow significantly. Plaque is made of fat, cholesterol, calcium and waste in blood circulation
In extreme cases, the deposit causes the total blockage of the artery, with devastating consequences. Some of the symptoms of clogged arteries include shortness of breath which occurs when the heart pumps insufficient blood volume, sharp pains in the chest (likened to tightening of the chest muscles) as well as a heart attack which results when the coronary artery which supplies blood to the heart, is completely blocked. Some of the causes of clogged arteries include high levels of (bad)cholesterol, hypertension, chronic smoking, diabetes and stress. Risk factors include obesity, leading a sedentary lifestyle as well as linkage to family history.
Clogged arteries, for the most part, develop slowly and silently with most people unaware of what predicament they find themselves in until the symptoms start showing. Sadly, by the time one realizes they suffer from clogged arteries, it is too late and not much help can be availed. As a general guide, it helps to get regular cardiovascular assessment at least annually. As such the best way to prevent clogged arteries is to make healthy choices as early as possible. This preventive approach also helps manage the risk factors that are key to slowing down the condition’s progress. Below are remedies recommended for the treatment of clogged arteries.
1. Cayenne Pepper:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a glass of hot water.
Cayenne pepper is one of the most remarkable remedies when it comes to the preventive care of clogged arteries. The key ingredient found in cayenne pepper is capsaicin. Capsaicin is responsible for the characteristic fiery taste of cayenne pepper as well as its healing properties.
This active compound works by lowering the amounts of the ‘bad’ cholesterol, or Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL). the accumulation of this type of cholesterol is what causes the accumulation of plaque in the arteries. By lowering LDL concentration, capsaicin reduces the progress of the condition, and helps improve blood circulation. All you need for this remedy is ground cayenne pepper and a glass of water.
- Place 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a glass and pour in the hot water.
- Stir the solution and sip slowly.
- Take this remedy thrice daily to reduce the advancement of clogged arteries.
2. Fenugreek Seeds:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, 1 cup of water and a teaspoon of honey.
Fenugreek seeds are integral to the management of clogged arteries. The seeds are rich in saponins that are essential to a reduction in the amount of LDL, the bad form of cholesterol. When introduced to the body, the presence of fiber in the seeds also contributes positively to lowering these cholesterol levels. Overall, the seeds are beneficial to managing clogged arteries, and go a long way in preventing the damage from escalating.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and soak overnight.
- Add some honey to the seeds the next morning and stir.
- Eat the seeds and drink the water to deal with clogged arteries.
- Alternatively, add the seeds to a cup of water and boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Strain the seeds, add some honey and munch away.
- Use either remedy at least twice daily to treat clogged arteries.
3. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 1 Medium sized lemon, 1 glass of hot water, a dash of honey and 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder. You may use lemon peels in place of the juice.
Lemon is one of the most common citrus fruits available across the world, and which is best known for its high levels of Vitamin C. Vitamin C, also referred to as ascorbic acid, is a powerful antioxidant that helps reduce inflammation in the affected arteries. One of the effects of plaque accumulation is inflammation that results from the place of deposit. Additionally, as an antioxidant, Vitamin C also helps prevent damage in the arterial blood system as well as lowers the amount of LDL/’bad’ cholesterol in circulation. Prepare this remedy as indicated in the simple set of instructions below.
- Gently roll the lemon between your hands before washing. The rolling helps to produce maximum juice from the fibers.
- Squeeze all the juice into a cup and then add the warm water.
- Stir in the honey alongside the black pepper to mix all the ingredients well.
- Drink the lemon juice mixture twice daily.
- Alternatively, prepare the remedy using lemon peels. Simply boil 2 teaspoons of the lemon peels (you may grate the peels to increase the surface area of action) in water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture to get rid of the peels, and add honey to the resulting liquid.
- Drink 1 cup of this remedy thrice daily to help deal with clogged arteries.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of honey and a glass of warm milk.
Turmeric is a popular spice used to treat clogged arteries and help the heart function optimally. The main active ingredient in turmeric is known as curcumin. The ingredient’s anti-oxidant properties work to prevent the aggregation of platelets, which in a person suffering from clogged arteries, could be fatal. Here’s why: platelets are responsible for the process of clotting. When the arteries narrow, there is an increased chance that the platelets will clumped together as the blood courses through the narrow passage. Should this happen, the formation of blood clots may be fatal if the clots are transported to key organs in the body.
By preventing clots from forming, turmeric plays a key role in averting some of the dire consequences of clogged arteries. In addition to this, turmeric also lowers the amount of LDL, effectively eliminating the accumulation of plaque in the arteries. Overall, regular intake of turmeric is beneficial for anyone dealing with clogged arteries, and as a preventive measure for healthy arteries.
- Place the turmeric in a glass and pour in the warm milk.
- Add the honey and stir to dissolve.
- Drink the turmeric milk daily.
- Remember to include the spice in your daily food for added benefits.
5. Raw Ginger:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Small piece of raw ginger,grater, 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of honey.
Raw ginger is easily one of the most versatile home remedies available. It is little wonder that ginger is recommended for the natural treatment of clogged arteries. The actives present in raw ginger include, among others, shogaols and gingerols. Studies show that this active ingredients have excellent cardiovascular benefits that include the prevention of plaque in the inner arterial wall, the lowering of LDL concentration in circulation as well as overall health benefits for optimal circulation. Note, however, that ginger should not be used in people who get severe heartburn as it adds to the pain and discomfort. Those with gallbladder disorders are also advised against using raw ginger as a remedy.
- Prepare the tea by grating the raw ginger and transferring it to a cup of hot water.
- Allow the ginger to steep for about 5-10 minutes and then pass it through a strainer to get rid of the grated ginger.
- Stir in the raw honey and drink this tea at least twice daily.
6. Raw Garlic:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 3 Garlic cloves, a pestle and mortar and 1 cup of milk.
Garlic is one of the best options for the natural treatment of clogged arteries. Not only does the garlic’s active ingredients help dilate the arteries to allow improved flow of blood in the body, it also helps lower the concentration of the bad cholesterol. Different studies show that when used in patients with clogged arteries, the garlic helps relax the arteries by more than 50% in comparison to a placebo. Simply add the garlic to the milk to help manage clogged arteries.
- Peel and chop the garlic cloves before crushing using a pestle and mortar.
- Add the ground garlic to the milk and heat it until the cream of the milk rises to the surface.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Drink the mixture daily preferably before bedtime and early morning on an empty stomach.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseeds and your preferred drink: soup/ fresh fruit juice/ soups.
Flaxseeds are best known for their rich concentration of a specific type of fatty acid known as alpha-linoleic acid (and abbreviated ALA). ALA is integral in the management of clogged arteries because it eliminates inflammation while reducing blood pressure and allowing the arteries to heal. This is important because it prevents the arteries from getting blocked and goes a long way in enhancing cardiac health. Use the flaxseeds because they are also rich in fiber that helps eliminate the ‘bad’ cholesterol. Flaxseeds are easy to use because all you need to do is add the seeds to your preferred fluid.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of the flaxseeds on your preferred fluid choice. The seeds go well with smoothies and soups, but you may also blend them when preparing fresh fruit juice.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 2 Fresh pomegranates daily.
Pomegranates are good for your health if you are keen on reducing arterial damage following the buildup of plaque. Pomegranates are rich in antioxidant phytochemicals that prevent oxidation in the circulatory system. Oxidation reactions predispose the arteries to the buildup of plaque, so by preventing this process from occurring, pomegranates help enhance the health of the arteries. Additionally, the fruits trigger nitric oxide production. To understand why this is important, it is vital to mention that nitric oxide stimulates arterial dilation so that blood flow is regulated without obstructions.
- Simply eat 1 or 2 pomegranate fruits everyday.
9. Regular Exercise:
Time Required: Varies depending on routines.
What You Need: Choice exercise gear and preferred routines.
Regular exercise is effective in the natural treatment of clogged arteries because it relaxes the arteries and strengthens the muscles of the blood vessels. A consistent exercise routine also helps prevent further damage from plaque accumulation. For people whose obesity poses a risk to getting clogged arteries, exercise also goes a long way in losing some weight and maintaining healthy weight.
- Choose an exercise routine that you can keep up with. Consult your fitness trainer if you are in doubt, or need guidance on what routines to settle for.
- Try and incorporate aerobic exercises into your routine. These exercises are great for strengthening the heart muscles. Some of the best options include swimming, rope skipping, brisk walking, cycling as well as jogging.
- In addition to the exercises, remember to add deep breathing exercises to ensure adequate oxygen supply to the body’s vital organs.
10. Additional Tips for Dealing with Clogged Arteries:
- Steer clear of processed foods, especially deep fried foods as these are packed with the bad cholesterol which increases plaque formation in the arteries. In the same breath, quit smoking as this increases oxidative damage in the arteries.
- Reduce stress levels and invest in self care techniques to improve your health.
- Eat a balanced diet to provide your body with the necessary nutrients for optimal health.
- Limit sugar and salt intake to avoid increasing blood sugar levels and blood pressure respectively.
The process of treating clogged arteries is continuous, and it is important to use these remedies consistently since the symptoms of clogged arteries do not manifest until it is too late. In the event of a heart attack, ensure you see a doctor immediately to avert damage to the heart.