Bronchitis is a condition where the main air passages of the lungs become infected, leading to irritation and inflammation. Bronchitis may be bacterial, viral, and in some instances, be caused by irritants that line the airways. The most obvious symptom of bronchitis is productive coughing which often results in a thick yellow-grey mucus.
This thick mucus is known as phlegm. Accompanying symptoms include an irritating sore throat, wheezing, fever, pain in the chest as well as congestion within the nostrils. In some people, bronchitis is accompanied by high fever and muscle pains.It is important to note that bronchitis may occur either as an acute infection or a chronic one.
If your lungs and airways get infected, it is very important to seek medical advice to prevent the condition from progressing. There is medication available to treat bronchitis as well as help manage the symptoms. Some of these drugs have related side effects, which is where home remedies come in handy. The choice home remedies as listed below offer relief from the symptoms associated with bronchitis while enabling you to treat the condition in the long run.
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 glass of milk and honey (optional).
Turmeric is one of the most effective home remedies for the treatment of bronchitis. Its potent anti-inflammatory properties go a long way in providing relief from the pain associated with the infection. These healing properties are attributed to the presence of curcumin in the herb. Other benefits of using turmeric include the ease of mucus expulsion, in effect reducing nasal congestion. Use the herb in form of turmeric milk as described below.
NOTE: This remedy is not recommended for those suffering from disorders affecting the digestive system, including, but not limited to acidity, ulcers and stones in the gall bladder.
- Place the teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass and pour in some warm milk.
- Stir the mixture to ensure that the powder is well dispersed.
- Bring the mixture to boil.
- Drink this turmeric milk at least thrice daily.
2. Raw Ginger:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Raw ginger, 1 cup of boiling hot water, 1 teaspoon each of black pepper and honey. You may add cinnamon and cloves to the ginger for added relief.
Raw ginger is, without a doubt, one of the most popular remedies for the natural treatment of cold and flu. It is for the same reason that the ginger may be used to treat bronchitis. Ginger is packed with strong anti-inflammatory properties that aid in providing relief from the symptoms. Ginger also boosts the immune system, ensuring the body’s response is able to fight off the causative agents. Whenever you need relief from bronchitis, you can always turn to all of the healing goodness found in raw ginger. There are several ways to benefit from this herb’s healing properties s indicated in the steps below.
- Peel and wash the ginger root before chopping into small pieces.
- Place the ginger powder and black pepper in a glass and pour in the boiling water.
- Let the mixture steep for a few minutes before stirring in honey and drinking it.
- Use this remedy twice daily for best results.
- The other alternative involves adding the chopped ginger (as prepared in step 1) to the ground cinnamon and cloves then pouring in the water before stirring.
- Drink this mixture twice daily.
3. Garlic Cloves:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 3 Cloves of garlic, pestle and mortar as well as 1 glass of milk.
Garlic, just like ginger, is one of the most reliable home remedies for treating bronchitis. The pungent herb is laden with healing powers, thanks to its antiviral and antibiotic properties. This remedy works as a result of the high concentration of sulfur compounds present in the garlic. If you need to treat acute bronchitis, this is the go-to remedy. For those who find the smell of garlic overbearing, it helps to take some fresh lemon juice or chew on some lemon wedges. This not only helps deal with the smell, it also refreshes your body and boosts your immune system.
- Peel and clean the three garlic cloves.
- Cut the garlic into small pieces to allow you to get the most of the healing properties.
- Add the chopped garlic to the milk and bring the mixture to boil.
- Drink immediately, just before bedtime. Do not prepare excess mixture as the garlic will cause the milk to go bad; instead, prepare this remedy whenever you are ready to ingest it.
- Lastly, chew on some lemon wedges to eliminate the characteristic smell of garlic.
- Use the remedy daily until the symptoms clear.
4. Salty Water:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of salt and 1 glass of warm water.
Salty water is a great yet simple way to treat some of the most common symptoms of bronchitis. Ideal for loosening mucus congestion, the presence of salt in the water goes a long in giving you relief from the condition. The warmth of the remedy on the other hand, helps soothe the throat region and ease the irritation. The catch to using this remedy effectively is to use just the right amount of salt (depending on the amount of water you intend to use, although the above provisions are meant to act as a guideline). Too little salt impedes the efficiency of the remedy while too much salt in the gargle water results in irritation of the throat.
- Add the salt to the warm water and stir to dissolve.
- Use this solution to gargle for at least five minutes.
- Spit the solution and repeat severally.
- Use the remedy as often as you need to.
5. Steam Therapy and Eucalyptus Oil:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 3 Drops of eucalyptus oil, boiling hot water and a clean towel.
Steam therapy, coupled with eucalyptus oil, is one of the most efficient home remedies for the treatment of bronchitis. The remedy combines two key traits: steam and the healing properties of eucalyptus oil. The steam allows for the mucus to soften, thus easing its expulsion and clearing the obstruction of the airways. The oil on the other hand, is laden with antibacterial properties that help treat the infection. In place of the eucalyptus oil you may use pine oil or tea tree oil, the latter of which is also packed with healing properties.
NOTE: You need to exercise caution when using this remedy as it exposes you to steam, which, if not well managed, could result in deep scarring and injury. Consequently, the remedy is not ideal for use in toddlers and the elderly.
- Add 3 drops of the eucalyptus oil to the steaming hot water and lean forward.
- Place the towel on your head in order to contain the steam and allow it to saturate your airways.
- Take a deep breath and hold for a couple of seconds before exhaling.
- Repeat this severally or until the water cools down.
- In addition to this remedy, you may also apply apply the oil topically on your chest. This helps improve the functioning of the airways.
- Make sure that the oil is only used externally, never internally as this could cause toxicity.
6. Raw Onion:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Raw onion, a knife and a clean piece of cloth.
Raw onion is hailed for its efficiency in treating the symptoms of bronchitis. The onions carry within their juices and aroma, an expectorant trait that helps with mucus dissolution so that the airways are cleared to facilitate for ease of breathing. This provides much-needed relief from bronchitis symptoms. In addition, the juice prevents the accumulation of mucus in the system, ultimately allowing you to feel much better.
- Peel the onion and use the fleshy part for this remedy.
- Cut the onion up into small pieces and place on the clean cloth.
- Hold both ends of the cloth and tug in opposite directions to squeeze the juice into a glass.
- Take this juice at least twice daily, preferably in the morning and in the evening.
7. Stay Hydrated:
Time Required: Throughout the day.
What You Need: Adequate drinking water and fluid intake.
Staying hydrated is a key remedy for just about any type of infection, and this is not any different for patients suffering from bronchitis. Taking enough water and fluids during the day ensures that your body not only stays hydrated, it also gets rid of toxins present as a result of the infection. secondly, adequate water and fluid intake helps the respiratory system have a sustained productive cough. This type of cough places less strain on the airways and reduces irritation. You are advised to take warm water instead of cold water in order to soothe the throat. Other fluids that you can add to this remedy include healthy fresh fruit juices, vegetable juices, soups and broths.
- Take at least 8 glasses of water daily, alongside your preferred fluids.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of raw organic honey and 1 glass of warm lemon water.
Raw organic honey provides you with an effective home remedy in the treatment of the cough that often accompanies bronchitis. This is because honey has a high concentration of antiviral compounds that help treat the root cause of the infection. Honey is also an excellent remedy as far as soothing the throat is concerned, making it a preferable remedy. Lemon water on the other hand, is rich in Vitamin C, one of the most important immune boosters obtained from diet.
- Add the honey to the lemon water and stir.
- Drink this solution at least thrice daily until the infection clears.
9. Preventive Measures:
The aforementioned remedies go a long way in providing you with relief from bronchitis. There are measures you could put in place to ensure that you are not predisposed to to worsening of the airways infection.
- Avoiding caffeine and alcohol as these contribute to dehydration, thus worsening the symptoms.
- Doing so also causes mucus accumulation, making it harder to eliminate.
- Cut back on smoking to stop further irritation of the lungs and airways.
- Take some time off to rest and let the body recuperate.
- Lastly, get a medical appointment if the symptoms do not clear after a considerable period of time.