The immune system plays a fundamental role in the body by providing defense against diseases and infections. For this reason, it is extremely important to have a strong immune system in order to remain healthy. The body’s immune system is located in different parts of the body, including but not limited to the spleen, the lymph node system and bone marrow. As expected, the system consists of different cells, tissues and organs. This is why it is important to take remedies that will boost the immune system.
There are a number of factors that contribute to a poor immune system, among them nutritional deficiencies, leading a sedentary lifestyle with minimal physical activity as well as high levels of stress. The body’s exposure to certain medication and especially antibiotics also has the capacity to compromise the function of the immune system. Since the immune system works round the clock, it is important for individuals to ensure that it remains healthy and operates optimally. The good news is that there are simple home remedies that you can use alongside lifestyle changes to improve your immune system. For the most part, the remedies included below are easy to get and prepare; the catch lies in consistency if the remedies are to have a positive effect in the long run.
NOTE: As a general guide, it is important to consult your doctor before using any of the remedies if you are suffering from a pre-existing condition or are presently on any medication. In case you experience any adverse reactions, it is advisable to discontinue the use of the specific home remedy.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Lemon, juicer, 1 glass of warm water and some honey to taste.
One of the simplest yet most profound ways to boost your immune system is to increase your intake of lemon. Lemon is one of the citrus fruits best known for its high concentration of Vitamin C. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, plays a fundamental role in the optimal function of the immune system. This is because it aids in the defence mechanism by the white blood cells, effectively allowing the body to mount a quick response against infections. Lemon juice is also helpful in body detoxification which eases the burden on the immune system. The use of lemon water also has the benefit of making sure the body remains hydrated. Prepare this simple remedy by following the directions below.
- Rub the lemon on a flat working surface to stimulate the succulent fibers for maximum juice release in subsequent steps below.
- Wash the lemon and proceed to cut it in half for easy juicing.
- Once you have juiced the lemon, add it to a glass of warm water.
- Stir in the honey to sweeten the mixture and then drink, preferably on an empty stomach for excellent absorption. In fact, the best time to take this remedy is in the morning immediately after waking up and before breakfast.
- Wait for about half an hour before you can indulge in the first meal of the day.
- Use this remedy at least thrice daily, or add it to your daily drinking water for an extra refreshing punch.
2. Green Tea:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Green teabag, 1 cup of hot water and 1 tablespoon of honey.
Green tea, according to research studies, is recommended as a herbal remedy for boosting the immune system. These studies reveal that polyphenols present in the tea are potent antioxidants that give the tea its amazing health benefits. A specific group of polyphenols known as catechins have been found to have excellent antiviral properties which help boost the immune system. Another study has found that the presence of antioxidants in the tea help with the production of regulatory T cells that go a long way in improving immune function and reducing the likelihood of autoimmune diseases.
Autoimmune diseases are conditions which develop when the immune system fails to recognize body cells as its own, resulting in self-attack with devastating effects on an individual. By using remedies which help reduce this likelihood, one is able to help improve the function of the immune system. Prepare the tea by simply following the directions below.
- Heat a cup of water to ‘just below boiling point’.
- Place the green teabag and allow steeping for two minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice; it enhances the efficiency of the remedy altogether.
- You may also add honey as a natural sweetener.
- Stir the tea and drink thrice daily.
NOTE: Do not add any milk to green tea. This is because the proteins present in the milk will bind to the polyphenols and render them ineffective for immune-boosting.
3. Vitamin D:
Time Required: Varies
What You Need: Exposure to the sun, foods rich in Vitamin D and Vitamin D supplements
In a study published recently, research shows that people who took Vitamin D supplements were less likely to get viral infections compared to those placed on a placebo. Laboratory studies further show that Vitamin D also helps the immune system identify foreign cells (viral and bacterial) and destroy them. This improves the function of the immune system. there are different ways to help the body get Vitamin D, among them exposure to the natural sunlight, use of Vitamin D supplements as well as foods rich in Vitamin D.
- Exposure to the sun is one of the simplest ways to help the body synthesize Vitamin D. Since this is not always possible especially in countries in the hemisphere region, the next two options are applicable.
- Take Vitamin D supplements to increase the amount of Vitamin D in the body.
- Lastly, increase the amount of Vitamin-D rich food that you take. Excellent sources of food in this regard include fatty fish, fortified milk as well as salmon.
4. Colloidal Silver:
Time Required: 2 Min
What You Need: 1 Drop of colloidal silver.
Colloidal silver is one of the home remedies recommended for boosting the immune system. This solution has long been used since ancient times as it was known to curb the spread of disease. Part of its use has been attributed to its excellent antimicrobial properties. Additionally, studies show that colloidal silver has great antimicrobial properties that inhibit the growth and proliferation of microorganisms. Add colloidal silver to your list of home remedies to improve the body’s immune response.
- Take one drop of the colloidal silver orally to boost the immune system.
- Remember that colloidal silver should not be used for more than two weeks consecutively.
NOTE: It is extremely important to ensure that you use certified colloidal silver and not other silver products as this may result in adverse side effects.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Probiotic supplements.
Probiotic foods and supplements are recommended for boosting the immune system. Probiotics, by definition, are good bacteria that help the body’s digestion and elimination of toxins from the colon and immune system. Research shows that probiotics have the capacity to stimulate cytokine response following an infection. Cytokines are specialized cells which mediate varied immune responses in the body. Additional studies show that probiotic supplementation in children is likely to reduce the burden of immune-mediated disorders later on in life.
- Take foods rich in probiotics. These include, but are not limited to probiotic yogurt, miso and kefir among others.
- It is also recommended that you take probiotic supplements.
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: Raw ginger root or ginger essential oil.
Ginger has long been known to boost the immune system by way of improving he body’s ability to break down toxins. This is attributed largely to ginger’s warming properties as a herbal remedy. The active ingredients present in the herbs also have the ability to cleanse the lymphatic system which is inextricably linked to the immune system. What’s more, ginger and its essential oil can be used to treat an array of diseases, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. This comes in handy in treating conditions causes by parasites, viruses and bacteria. You may prepare ginger tea using the root or its essential oil.
- Peel and cut the root before grating it into small pieces.
- Transfer the grated ginger to a cup of boiling hot water.
- Let the ginger steep for a few minutes before straining.
- Add some honey to the ginger tea and drink.
- Use this remedy thrice daily.
- It also helps to add raw ginger to your food for its immense health benefits.
7. Indian Ginseng:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of Indian ginseng (in powder form), 1 cup of water, strainer and honey.
Indian ginseng is a popular herbal remedy used in Ayuverdic treatment, thanks to its ability to modulate the immune system while increasing the production of the cells involved in immune response. In addition to this, ginseng is also rich in antioxidants which are very helpful in neutralizing free radicals in the body. This is an important aspect of the remedy as the presence of free radicals in the body can easily interfere with the natural function of the immune system. The herb is available in different forms. These include powder, fresh root or dried root.
NOTE: Indian ginseng is not recommended for expectant women and those suffering from high blood pressure. Additionally, patients who suffer from autoimmune diseases ought to seek medical consultation before embarking on this regimen as the herb may trigger their immune system into a state of hyperactivity.
- Place the dried root in a cup of water and boil for about 5-10 minutes.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer and then add some honey.
- Stir the tea and drink it once daily to boost the immune system.
8. Regular Physical Exercise:
Time Required: Varies depending on one’s routine.
What You Need: Appropriate exercise gear.
Regular physical activity, pegged at a minimum of 30 minutes five times weekly has been shown to have a positive effect on the immune system. This is because exercise has been shown to increase the production of immune cells (more specifically the white blood cells) as well as improve blood circulation and help get rid of toxins from the body. Combined, all of these health benefits are a helpful way to avoid falling sick frequently.
- Aim for at least half an hour of exercise five times daily.
- Excellent routines include brisk walking, running, jogging, cycling and swimming. If you need help, do not be afraid to talk to your fitness instructor.
- Note, however, that while exercise is beneficial, too much of anything can have the opposite of the intended effect. For this reason, go slow on the intensity when working out during sickness.
In addition to the remedies listed above, it is important to maintain a balanced diet for the proper functioning of the immune system. Remember to ask your doctor about vaccinations too especially when travelling to new regions or countries.