Brown spots, also referred to as age spots or liver spots, are something that many people experience at least once in their lifetime. These spots usually develop due to the over production of melanin by the skin. Melanocytes, which are the melanin-producing cells, are usually triggered to synthesize excess melanin following exposure to the sun. This in turn causes certain patches on the skin to bear a darker coloration, thus giving rise to the spots.
Some of the most common locations where the brown spots develop include the face, chest area, shoulders as well as the hands and back area.Other factors that trigger the formation of brown spots include aging and genetic predisposition, External factors such as pregnancy and stressful events may also contribute to this condition.
It is important to note that while brown spots are typically harmless, they often dent one’s self esteem as most people find the rather unattractive. For the most part, these brown spots can be managed with ease using an array of home remedies. These remedies usually make use of natural ingredients that are easily sourced from the kitchen. Below are some simple DIY face masks that you can use to remove brown spots and restore your skin’s natural glow.
1. Oatmeal and Lemon Juice Face Mask:
What You Need: 1/4 cup of ground oatmeal and lemon juice.
Lemon juice is one of the most important remedies for the elimination of brown spots on the skin. This is attributed to its natural bleaching properties that go a long way in lightening the skin.
Regular use of this remedy is also helpful for radiant skin as it also improves the process of skin exfoliation. Oatmeal is added to ensure that the mask is easy to apply, in addition to its amazing benefits for the skin. Oatmeal soothes the skin and is particularly effective when the brown spots are accompanied by skin irritation.
NOTE: If you plan to spend time in the outdoors, you may want to use this mask a couple of hours prior to stepping out. This is because the inclusion of lemon juice heightens the skin’s sensitivity to the sun’s UV rays, and if used immediately, may cause a stinging sensation.
If your skin is extremely sensitive, consider using this mask at night only. Secondly, avoid using bottled lemon juice as it contains chemical additives that may further damage the skin.
Steps to Follow:
- Add just enough lemon juice to the oatmeal and mix well until you have a paste-like substance that you can easily apply on the skin. The mask should not be too runny or else it will fall off.
- Apply a layer of the mask on the face and leave it on for half an hour.
- Rinse off the mask using cold water.
- This remedy works well when you have ample time to incorporate it into your skin care routine. Whenever you need a solution on the go, simply rub the lemon peels (the inside part should come into contact with the skin) on the brown spots and rinse as described in step 3.
- Remember not to spend time in the outdoors immediately after using this remedy to prevent skin sensitivity.
2. Onion Juice and Honey Mask:
What You Need: 1 Tablespoon of onion juice and 2 tablespoons of raw unfiltered honey.
Make use of onion’s skin lightening properties to get remove brown spots from the skin. Just like lemon juice, onion juice provides a simple way to prepare a facial mask.
What’s more, onions are rich in sulfur compounds that are antiseptic in nature. Since they are acidic, they also aid in skin exfoliation which helps to get rid of dead skin cells. Add honey to the mask for its excellent moisturizing properties that both nourish and hydrate the skin.
NOTE: If you find the smell of onions repulsive after use, consider rinsing your hands with lemon juice.
Steps to Follow:
- Mix the lemon juice with the honey until the juice is evenly dispersed.
- Apply the mixture on the face, making sure you massage in the mask for absorption by the skin.
- Leave the mask on for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water and follow through with a moisturizing skin lotion.
3. Horseradish Face Mask:
What You Need: Horseradish paste.
Horseradish is one of the best home remedies for the removal of brown spots found on the skin. This herb is known to be rich in Vitamin C, and here’s why that is important.
Vitamin C regulates the production if melanin. Melanin is the substance that gives the skin its pigmentation. By regulating this process, horseradish is slowly able to eliminate the brown spots on the skin. In addition to the Vitamin C, horseradish is rich in glucosinolates.
These make up a group of antioxidants whose main purpose is to eliminate free radicals and toxins that contribute to the formation of the brown spots. Below are two ways to prepare a face mask using horseradish. The second option requires two weeks to be ready, so you can always start off with the first method that involves paste preparation.
Steps to Follow:
- Prepare horseradish paste which you will then apply directly on the skin where the brown spots have formed.
- Allow the paste to dry for about 20 minutes and the wash it off using cold water.
- Use this mask thrice weekly for best results.
- The other alternative is also simple to prepare, but requires two weeks to form. For this, you will need a piece of horseradish and some apple cider vinegar in a cup. Grate the horseradish (should be about four inches long) and add it to the a quarter cup of the apple cider vinegar. Let the mixture sit in a dark place for a fortnight. After the two weeks elapse, pass the mixture through a strainer. Soak a piece of cotton wool in the strained mixture and apply on the face. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off. Use this remedy severally daily until you notice an improvement in the condition of the skin.
4. Papaya Face Mask:
What You Need: Green papaya.
Papaya has long been used for its amazing benefits on the skin, and this is what makes it an ideal home remedy for the removal of brown spots.
It works because it is rich in enzymes that help reduce the intense pigmentation at the site of the brown spots. In addition to this, the presence of alpha hydroxy acids in the fruit aid in skin exfoliation.
Exfoliation is beneficial in the elimination of brown spots because it helps to get rid of dead skin cells while giving the skin a unique glow. All you need for this remedy is green papaya, a fork and cold water to rinse as described in the simple steps below.
Steps to Follow:
- Clean the papaya before cutting into bite-size pieces.
- Using a fork, mash the papaya chunks until you have a pulp. A potato masher will also come in handy for this step.
- Apply the papaya pulp on the skin, making sure you massage it in for best results.
- Rinse off the mask using cold water after 20 minutes.
- Repeat this daily until you are able to eliminate the brown spots.
5. Sandalwood Face Mask:
What You Need: A pinch of sandalwood powder, 2 drops each of rose water, lemon juice and glycerin.
Need a simple remedy to get rid of brown spots? Prepare a sandalwood face mask using rose water, lemon juice and glycerin.Sandalwood is hailed for its anti-aging properties which come in handy for cases where the brown spots are the result of aging. Lemon juice is included for its incredible skin lightening effects on the skin, thus allowing for the gradual elimination of the brown spots.
Add glycerin for its moisturizing properties. The resulting paste is both easy to use and leaves the skin feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Follow the simple directions below to make the most out of this face mask.
Steps to Follow:
- To the sandalwood powder, add the lemon juice, glycerin and rose water and mix well. The amounts you use may vary depending on the extent of the skin affected by brown spots.
- Apply the sandalwood paste on the face and massage it in.
- Leave the paste on for about half an hour. You may feel your skin tightening as the paste dries up, but this is perfectly normal.
- Rinse the face mask off after 30 minutes.
- Use this mask severally each week until you are content with the progress made.
6. Red Currant Face Mask:
What You Need: Unripe red currants and 1 tablespoon of raw unfiltered honey.
Red currants are extremely rich in antioxidants. If you are looking for a face mask that will leave your skin feeling rejuvenated while getting rid of brown spots, look no further than red currants. The antioxidants present help slow down the process of aging. Aging is known to be one of the contributing factors of brown spot formation. Secondly, red currants provide skin protection from the sun’s UV rays. This is very important because increased pigmentation resulting from exposure to the sun is what often leads to brown spots. Follow the simple steps below to prepare a red currant face mask.
Steps to Follow:
- Take unripe red currants and clean them before use.
- Place the currants in a bowl and mash using a fork. The idea here is to get a pulp that you can apply on the skin with ease.
- Add the honey and mash some more to mix it evenly.
- Apply the mask on the skin, making sure you focus on the brown spots.
- Let the mask dry for an hour or so in order to fully absorb the nutrients.
- Rinse off the mask. Repeat this procedure thrice weekly until the brown spots start to fade away.
7. Chickpeas Face Mask
What You Need: 1/2 Cup of chickpeas, water in a pot and some tomato juice/milk.
Chickpeas are a simple remedy for the removal of brown spots. This is attributed to the healing properties that help clear the skin of the brown spots and any other blemishes present.
The skin lightening properties of the chickpeas make it suitable for getting rid of the spots too. You will need to boil chickpeas for this face mask.
Follow the simple steps outlined below. Tomato juice and milk are optional additions which complement the function of the face mask. Tomato juice has lightening properties while milk is rich in lactic acid which helps slow down the aging process.
Steps to Follow:
- Wash the chickpeas and proceed to boil them until they are soft.
- Drain the water and allow some time for the chickpeas to cool.
- Once cooled, mash the chickpeas until you have a consistent paste.
- Add either tomato juice or milk to the mashed paste and mix well.
- Apply this paste on your face, making sure the mask covers all the brown spots.
- Rinse the mask off after half an hour.
8. Aloe Vera Face Mask:
What you Need:Freshly sourced aloe vera gel.
It is impossible to mention the best DIY face masks for removing brown spots and fail to include freshly sourced aloe vera gel.
This is considered one of Mother Nature’s gifts for a myriad of skin conditions, and for good reason. Aloe’s healing properties help with the regeneration of skin cells and the repair of damaged ones.
The latter comes in handy particularly in cases where brown spots result from exposure to the sun. All you need for this face mask is a freshly cut aloe vera leaf.
Steps to Follow:
- Squeeze the edge of the freshly cut aloe vera leaf in order to collect the oozing gel.
- Rub the gel on the face, and especially at the location of the brown spots.
- Let the gel dry for half an hour and then rinse the mask off.
- Use this simple mask at least twice daily until you notice an improvement.
Other ingredients that you can use to remove brown spots include raw potato juice mixed with honey, turmeric paste as well as a strawberry face mask.
NOTE: The most important part of using these face masks is consistency. Do not expect instant results; regular use of the masks however, shows improvement after a considerable period of time. Most of the masks have minimal to no side effects, making them a preferred way of dealing with brown spots.