Hormones play a key role in the body as they control a number of metabolic reactions and procedures in the body. This is true for both men and women, but it is important to mention that hormonal imbalances are more common in women than in women, largely because the former have a higher concentration of oestrogen than men. In addition to this, hormonal changes are more prevalent in women because of the biologic changes that they go through. These occur as a result if menstruation at the time of puberty, pregnancy and the onset of menopause. Other factors that contribute to hormonal changes include stressful events, an unbalanced diet, fatigue and insomnia. Birth control pills are also a key factor in hormonal imbalance.
Common symptoms of hormonal imbalance include extreme irritability, food cravings or aversions in some cases, changes in the texture of the skin and fluctuating weight problems. Some women who suffer imbalanced hormones will also experience low libido, anxiety and changes in their sleeping patterns. Since hormones influence metabolic reactions in the body, some of the subtle symptoms such as low energy levels and cravings may be an indication that hormonal levels need to be kept in check. Most importantly, you need to get medical check-up to rule out the possibility of hormone-sensitive disorders such as fibroid and tumors. Remember you need to let your doctor know if you will be taking any of the herbal remedies listed below.
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
Time Required: Varies depending on the type of food.
What You Need: Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids or supplements.
Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the topmost home remedies for naturally balancing hormones. The reason for this is that omega-3 fatty acids are rich in fatty acids, which are the building blocks for hormones. By increasing the amount of healthy fatty acids in the body, it is possible to regulate the hormonal levels in the body. Additional benefits of using omega-3 fatty acids include antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties. The latter helps reduce the inflammation that often accompanies hormonal imbalance. Add some of the excellent food sources of omega-3 fatty acids to your diet for a healthier body.
- Add foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids to your daily diet. Some of the best sources of the acids include flax seeds, chia seeds walnuts and olive oil.
- You may also add fish such as trout and mackerel to your diet to improve your health and restore the natural levels of the hormones in the body.
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may also be used, but the recommended dosage should be provided after consultations with your personal doctor.
2. Regular Physical Exercise:
Time Required: Varies depending on the routines.
What You Need: Appropriate workout gear.
Engaging in regular physical exercise is a natural way to balance hormones in the body. Exercise helps lower the amount of cortisol in the body. Cortisol is a hormone that is produced in response to stress, and it helps to block hormonal reception of oestrogen in the body. Increased stress levels cause an increase in cortisol levels which in turn lead to hormonal imbalances. Exercise helps release neurotransmitters that boost your mood and reduce cortisol levels in the body. Additionally, exercise helps with weight loss, which is also a key factor in managing hormonal levels in the body.
- Choosing an exercise routine that works for you is essential as this is also dependent on one’s health status. It is advisable to start gently and build up the resistance as the days go by. Great options include brisk walking, jogging and yoga routines. Remember to wear appropriate workout gear for your specific routine.
3. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil.
Extra virgin coconut oil is recommended for naturally balancing hormones in the body. Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids which help in the synthesis of the hormones. Research also shows that coconut oil is helpful for cases where hormonal imbalances results from disorders of the thyroid gland. This is attributed to the presence of middle-chain fatty acids that enhance the function of the thyroid gland. In sharp contrast with a belief that is held by many, coconut oil does not cause damage to the heart. In fact, it enhances the overall health of the cardiovascular system, making it highly beneficial. It is recommended that you use extra virgin olive oil orally as directed below.
- Take 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil orally for a few months and monitor the progress made.
- You may also use coconut oil for your cooking to get the best benefits.
4. Increased Vitamin D Intake:
Time Required: 5-30 Min
What You Need: Exposure to the sun, foods rich in Vitamin D and vitamin D supplements (optional).
One of the most important remedies for the natural regulation of hormones in the body is Vitamin D. This Vitamin not only has a profound effect on the pituitary gland, it has also been shown to provide relief from the many symptoms associated with low concentration of estrogen in the body. Other benefits of increasing Vitamin D in the body include regulation of parathyroid hormone synthesis, maintaining a healthy weight and appetite. The easiest way to get Vitamin D is to get adequate sun exposure.
- Make sure you get a few minutes of sun exposure daily, preferably in blocks of time as extended periods under the sun may result in sunburns. You may opt to limit your sun exposure to blocks of 10 minutes thrice daily in order to allow the body make adequate amounts of Vitamin D to maintain proper hormonal levels.
- In the absence of sun exposure as is the case during winter, it helps to use Vitamin D supplements. Note however, that it is advisable to use get the proper dosage by following your doctor’s instructions.
- The last option is to take foods that provide the body with Vitamin D. Foods that are rich in Vitamin D include eggs, oily fish as well as milk. Cod liver oil is also ideal for this remedy.
5. Maca Root:
Time Required: 10 Min
What You Need: 1/4 Teaspoon of maca root powder, 1 cup of any of the following: warm water, herbal tea, yogurt, smoothie or fruit juice
Maca root is recommended for the natural regulation of hormonal levels in the body. In fact, it is referred to as an endocrine adaptogen that enhances hormonal production in the body. It is helpful in reversing the effects of hypothyroidism. Additionally, it is rich in a number of nutrients that play key roles in hormonal synthesis and regulation. These include calcium, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and a host of essential fatty acids. This herbal root also has the advantage of improving overall health. Prepare the remedy by following the directions below.
- Take the Maca Root powder and mix it in your preferred liquid.
- Stir the powder in so that it is well mixed before consumption.
- It is advisable to take the mixture over a period of time, say a couple of weeks then notice whether there is any progress made.
6. Fenugreek Seeds:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 1 Teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, 1 cup of water, a strainer and some honey or lemon juice (optional).
Fenugreek seeds are recommended for the natural balancing of hormones in the body largely because they are rich in a compound known as diosgenin. This is an active ingredient that is believed to exert estrogenic effects on the body, and therefore helps with regulating hormonal levels in the body. In addition to this, the herb is often recommended for lactating mothers as it helps improve milk production in the body. All you need is a teaspoon of the seeds in hot water to prepare herbal tea as described below.
- Soak the seeds in a cup of hot water for 15-20 minutes to allow the release of the active ingredients.
- Strain the mixture to separate the wet seeds from the drink.
- Take this tea thrice daily to help regulate the hormonal levels.
- You may also add honey or lemon juice to give it a great taste.
- The other option in place of the fenugreek seeds is taking the herb in supplement form. You may want to consult your doctor for the proper dosage.
7. Holy Basil:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Fresh holy basil leaves to be used on their own. Alternatively, use the leaves and a cup of warm water
Holy basil leaves have numerous benefits when used for the regulation of hormonal levels in the body. These leaves, also referred to as Tulsi, have been used as an ancient remedy and are best known for their adaptogen properties. Adaptogens by definition, refer to substances which help the body handle stress. This is very important because stress is closely related to the production of cortisol, also referred to as the stress hormone.
Extremely high levels of cortisol not only impact the production of other hormones in the body, it also affects the optimal function of other hormone-producing glands. These include the pancreas, the thyroid gland as well as the ovaries. An added advantage of using these leaves include the herb’s ability to improve one’s mood as well as mental clarity. the leaves may be prepared in two ways: chewing on the leaves or preparing herbal tea as indicated below.
- Simply chew on the holy basil leaves twice daily over a period of a few weeks.
- Alternatively, prepare basil tea by boiling a handful of the leaves in water.
- Turn off the heat and then let the leaves steep for a few minutes.
- Pass the tea through a strainer and discard the leaves.
- Drink the tea thrice daily to aid in the balancing of natural hormones.
- The last option involves taking holy basil supplements, but this should only be done after consulting your doctor to prevent the risk of adverse side-effects as the supplements have a higher concentration than the leaves.
Time Required: 5 Min
What You Need: Ginseng capsules.
Ginseng, and more specifically Korean red ginseng, is helpful in regulating the activity of the adrenal gland in the body. This is an important role because the adrenal gland is tasked with the production of stress hormones. By maintaining a balance of the hormones, Ginseng herb is able to help the body adjust. Several studies show that ginseng is also idea for providing relief from the accompanying changes that characterize menopause. It has also been shown to improve sperm production in men.
- It is recommended that the herb is taken in cycles following consultations with your doctor.
In addition to the remedies mentioned above, it helps to ensure that you get adequate rest. Sleeping enough during the night allows the body to be reinvigorated as well as detoxify. Remember to manage stress levels and monitor any pre-existing conditions. In case of any doubts, consult your doctor.