Bacterial vaginosis, just as the name suggests, is a bacterial infection of the vagina as a result of a bacterial infection. It is important to understand how this infection arises for the simple reason that there are two types of bacteria in the vagina. The ‘good’ bacteria are required for the optimal functioning of the vagina. In addition to this, this category of bacteria helps keep the population of ‘bad’ bacteria in check, effectively maintaining a delicate balance. When this balance is disrupted, the result is bacterial vaginosis.
The most obvious symptom of bacterial vaginosis is a vaginal discharge that has an unusual odor. Now, this may be a tad bit difficult to pinpoint as every woman has their own distinct vaginal smell. When there’s a change however, and a smelly discharge is produced, this could point to a bacterial infection. The smell of the discharge is especially worsened after sexual intercourse.
Other symptoms include intense itching as well as pain when peeing. While the precise cause of the bacterial infection is not clear, there are a number of factors that contribute to the likelihood of infection. These include sexual intercourse with multiple partners, douching as well as a change in one’s partners and/or routine.
Bacterial vaginosis is mild for the most part, and will often clear on its own. To get relief from the symptoms, there are a number of remedies that you may use to treat the infection naturally. The remedies recommended for this purpose aim at restoring the natural balance of the bacterial populations in the vaginal area. Take note, however, that if there is no relief even after using the remedies for a considerable period of time, it is imperative to seek the services of a gynecology in order to rule out the possibility of reproductive complications.
Time Required: 30 Min- 2 Hrs
What You Need: Cotton pad/tampon, natural yogurt and warm water to rinse.
Yogurt is one of the most popular home remedies used for the natural treatment of bacterial vaginosis. This is because it is rich in lactobacillus, the natural bacteria that aid in eliminating the bad bacteria and promoting the proliferation of the good bacteria. The result of using this remedy is that it restores the optimal pH of the vagina, effectively eliminating the itching and smelly discharge. You may use either a cotton pad or a tampon depending on your personal preferences.
- Dip either the cotton pad or tampon in the yogurt.
- Place the cotton pad on the crotch of the pant and leave on for 30 minutes.
- If using a tampon, insert it and leave it in for 2 hours. This will provide ample time for the yogurt to act.
- Once the time elapses, discard the used pad/tampon.
- You will then rinse the vagina with warm water.
- Use this remedy twice daily until you get relief from the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis.
Time Required: 10 Min – 2 Hrs depending on your preferred method of remedy application.
What You Need: Tampon/cotton pad, warm milk and warm water to rinse. Alternatively, use warm milk and turmeric powder.
Milk is an excellent alternative to the use of natural yogurt. Since milk is a base for the manufacture of yogurt, it acts in the same way as the latter. Milk is rich in lactobacilli, a family of bacteria that are effective in eliminating the bad bacteria responsible for the infection. This allows for quick recovery as well as relief from the accompanying symptoms.
Just as with the use of yogurt, you will need a tampon or cotton pad. Milk also boosts the immune system which improves the overall response in fighting off the infections. If you would like to use the remedy orally, you will need turmeric herb. The herb is packed with anti-inflammatory properties that ease the symptoms.
- Dip the cotton pad or tampon in the warm milk and put on/insert.
- Let the pad/tampon remain on for 2 hours before discarding.
- Rinse the milk off with warm water.
- Use this remedy severally everyday to treat bacterial vaginosis naturally.
- The other option revolves around turmeric milk.
- Prepare this remedy by adding 1/2 a tablespoon of ground turmeric to a glass of warm milk and stir to mix.
- Drink this milk twice daily until you notice an improvement in the elimination of the smelly discharge.
3. Tea Tree Oil:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Tea tee tree oil and a bowl of warm water.
Tea tree oil is a popular remedy for the natural treatment of different infections. This is because the oil is rich in antibacterial properties which helps eliminate bacterial vaginosis. The oil also gets rid of the odor produced by the discharge, providing much-needed relief. The most important thing to remember when using tea tree oil is to dilute the oil. In its undiluted form, the oil easily causes irritation of the skin, and may only compound the symptoms of the infection.
- Place a few drops of tea tree oil in the warm water and mix well.
- Splash the solution on and around the vagina in order to rinse well and allow for the oil’s healing properties to act on the infection.
- Use this remedy at least once everyday for about a week or so until the symptoms subside.
- Alternatively, add 5 drops of tea tree oil to your bath water and soak for 30 minutes daily.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide:
Time Required: 15-30 Min
What You Need: 3% Hydrogen peroxide, warm water to dilute and a tampon (optional).
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective disinfectant and this is what makes it perfectly suited for the natural treatment of bacterial vaginosis. As such, it is ideal in the elimination of bad bacteria. Peroxide also has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the burning sensation associated with the infection. When shopping for Hydrogen peroxide, always use 3% of the solution. In addition to this the solution must be diluted to prevent skin irritation.
- Dilute 1 cup of Hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of warm water.
- Use this solution to douche by splashing some of the solution on the vaginal area.
- Allow the skin to air-dry without rinsing for effective treatment.
- Alternatively, place a few drops of the dilute Hydrogen Peroxide on the tampon and insert.
- Leave the tampon in for half an hour; avoid leaving the tampon in for any longer.
- Remove the tampon and use this remedy at least once daily.
5. Coconut Oil:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Organic coconut oil and cotton wool. You may need a warm bath too.
Coconut oil is packed with natural antibacterial properties that help destroy the bad bacteria. This not only provides relief from the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, it also prevents recurrent episodes and is great for the skin. All you need to do is apply the coconut oil on the vaginal area. You may complement this remedy by adding coconut oil to your diet in order to improve your immunity.
- Coconut oil tends to solidify when stored at room temperature especially in cold places.
- If this is so, simply place the coconut oil in a shallow container then in a warm bath.
- Once the oil has melted, simply use cotton wool to apply on the vagina.
- Use this remedy at least once daily.
6. Neem Leaves:
Time Required: 40 Min
What You Need: A handful of neem leaves, a pan, pestle and mortar, some warm water and cotton wool.
Neem leaves have great antibacterial properties that come in handy in the natural treatment of bacterial vaginosis. The leaves not only destroy the bad bacteria, they also soothe the skin so that there’s reduced itching and inflammation in the area around the vagina.
- Sort the leaves and place in a pan on low heat.
- Do not add any water and instead allow the leaves to dry well.
- Once dried, place the leaves in the mortar and grind using the pestle.
- Do this until you have a fine powder.
- Add a few drops of water to the powder until you get a consistent paste.
- Use cotton wool to apply the paste on the vagina.
- A generous layer of the paste left on for 30 minutes should work just fine when used over a period of a week or so.
- Rinse well after half an hour for best results.
7. Chilled Teabags:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Teabags, warm water in a cup and a tray of ice cubes.
Teabags are a perfect remedy for soothing the skin in the area affected by vaginosis. The teabags contain tannins whose astringent properties provide relief from the itching and burning sensation. All you need for this remedy is warm water to steep the teabags in as well as ice cubes to cool them before application.
- Steep the teabags in warm water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the teabags and place on the ice cubes to allow them to cool.
- Place the teabag on the affected skin to soothe and ease the itching.
- You may also rinse the vagina using the prepared tea.
- Use this remedy thrice daily to treat bacterial vaginosis.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Time Required: 30 Min
What You Need: 2 Cups of apple cider vinegar and warm bath water.
Apple cider vinegar (abbreviated is a ready remedy for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis. The acidic content in the ACV helps maintain a balanced pH level in the vagina. This prevents the proliferation of the bad bacteria and creates an ideal environment for the growth of the good bacteria. ACV is good for the vagina, but when using it as a remedy, always make sure you look out for raw unfiltered ACV for best results.
- Place 2 cups of ACV in the bathtub and run warm water.
- Soak in this bath for half an hour.
- Gently part the affected skin.
- Use this remedy once daily until the infection clears.