Back acne, just as the name suggests refers to acne that occurs on the skin at the back. This form of acne is characterized by pimple breakouts on the back and the appearance of reddened pimples that cause blocked skin pores. The most unnerving thing about back acne is that while you know the pimples are present, you just cannot see them.
The first line of treatment of back acne (sometimes referred to as ‘bacne’) revolves around following the same skin routine when cleaning and taking care of the skin on the neck and shoulders. This form of skin care eliminates the risk of breakouts on the back in the long term. When combined with proper skin hygiene techniques such as immediate showers after working out, exfoliation and using gentle products to do your laundry, back acne becomes easy to prevent.
Some of the factors that cause back acne include genetic predisposition, stressful environments, hormonal changes as well allergic reactions. Despite the fact that back acne often remains hidden under layers of clothes, it can be itchy and painful. This creates the need effective remedies.
The good news is that there are a handful of natural remedies that can be used for purposes of home treatment. Listed below are some of the most popular and effective options to enable you enjoy summer stress-free.Each of the remedies includes the approximate time it takes for application, the materials and ingredients you require as well as the difficulty of each method.
1. Tea Tree Oil:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Tea tree oil, back scratcher, washcloth, and warm water.
Tea tree oil is a favorite home remedy for different skin conditions, thanks to its antiseptic properties. In addition to this, the oil’s anti bacterial properties help prevent the occurrence of acne on the back. These two properties have made the oil one of the most popular ingredients in cosmetic and even anti-acne products available in the market. You need not make costly purchases when you can get tea tree oil from your local pharmacy and use it in your skin care regimen.
- Tie a knot to connect the back scratcher to the washcloth, and dip the two in warm water.
- Squeeze the washcloth gently before pouring 6 drops of the oil on it.
- Apply the oil to your back with the aid of the back scratcher.
- Extend your hands so that you are able to massage the oil on your back in gentle motions. Be careful not to overdo this as it could cause the acne to break out, something which easily leads to skin infection when the bacteria spread out on the skin.
- Let the oil stay on the skin for 15 minutes.
- Pat the skin dry before proceeding to layer with clothes. Repeat the procedure thrice daily for best results.
2. Olive Oil:
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Olive oil, back scratcher, dry washcloth, and warm water.
Olive oil is not only an excellent skin moisturizer, it also has the ability to prevent scarring. Scarring is one of the most common results of back acne, so using olive oil certainly is beneficial for all who suffer from back acne. Olive oil also has antioxidants, just like tea tree oil. With this combination of properties, it helps to add olive oil to your list of home remedies for acne treatment.
- Wet the washcloth using warm water.
- Take a teaspoon of olive oil and dab on the wet washcloth before applying the oil to your back with the aid of a back scratcher.
- Let the oil remain on the skin for 10 minutes so that the pores absorb the oil and unclog.
- Take a separate dry washcloth and use it to absorb the excess oil (if there’s any raining on the skin).
- If you don’t have a back scratcher, you can simply apply the oil on your hands and massage it on the back. Dab the excess oil using a washcloth or paper towels.
3. Lemon Juice:
Time Required: 25 Min
What You Need: Fresh lemons, clean towel, and cotton ball.
Lemon juice is one of the most popular fruits for home remedies. Its high concentration of citric acid helps get rid of the build up in the clogged skin pores. This acid also has skin lightening properties which, over a period of regular use, help get rid of acne scars. Lemon also contains Vitamin C, an integral compound in the regeneration of skin cells. This goes a long way in the treatment of acne because it helps the body get rid of dead skin cells. Lemon is easy to use, so take advantage of the fruit’s benefits to get rid of back acne.
The best time to use this remedy is at bath time because then the skin pores are dilated and therefore best placed to absorb the remedy. In addition to this, bathing before lemon juice application ensures that the skin is devoid of accumulated oil and debris.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl.
- Soak a ball of cotton wool in the juice and dab it on your back. If the acne is scattered, you can always have someone help you with remedy application.
- Let the juice stay on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse your back under a running shower and top this remedy application with the application of a skin moisturizer. Use this remedy daily for best results. While at it, avoid exposing your back to the sun as this heightens the occurrence of back acne.
4. Turmeric Powder:
Time Required: 15 Min
What You Need: Turmeric powder, milk cream, and cotton wool.
Turmeric powder is used as home treatment for back acne because it has excellent exfoliant properties. When applied as a paste on the skin, turmeric allows for the elimination of dead skin cells as well as any accumulated dirt. Turmeric is also a pungent spice whose antimicrobial properties come in handy to keep in check the spread of acne on the back. Perhaps it is time you made better use of this culinary spice if you suffer from back acne. The use of milk cream helps the skin to remain hydrated. As one of the most neglected parts of the body, incorporating cream into the skin care routine for your back will go a long way in ensuring that your back remains healthy.
- Mix two tablespoons of the turmeric powder with the milk cream to create a fine paste.
- Pat some of the paste onto a ball of cotton wool and use this to massage your back.
- Let the paste stay on the skin for 10 minutes. Since turmeric has a deep yellow color, you may consider using an old t-shirt to prevent staining your clothes.
- When the ten minutes are over, rinse your skin using warm water and pat dry before applying a skin moisturizer. Use this remedy thrice daily. Regular use of the turmeric paste is also an excellent way to prevent scarring after back acne.
5. Orange Peels:
Time Required: 10 Min for application, 4 hours to dry the orange peels.
What You Need: Dried orange peels, grinder, warm water, and a washcloth.
Orange peels are a great home remedy for the treatment of back acne naturally. As one of the fruits in the citrus family, the orange, just like the lemon, is rich in citric acid and Vitamin C, both whose benefits have been mentioned above. In addition to this, however, the peels of the orange fruit contain Retinol. Commonly known as Vitamin A, Retinol plays an important role in the generation of new skin cells and the elimination of dead skin cells. This in itself combats acne and steers the treatment of the same to ensure a scar-free back. The next time you think about throwing away those peels, remember this may be the solution to that persistent breakout on your back.
- Place about 10 orange peels in the sun and leave them to dry naturally.
- Take the dried orange peels and grind to get a fine powder.
- Scoop a tablespoon of this freshly ground powder and mix it with a few drops of the warm water to create a consistent paste.
- Place some of the paste on the palms of your hands and massage this paste on your back where the scars are present.
- Let the paste dry off before rinsing with warm water.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: Fresh cucumber and juice extractor.
Cucumber is a prominent natural remedy for glowing skin. These very same attributes can be used for the treatment of back acne. The cooling properties of cucumber, combined with its ability to balance the skin’s pH go a long way in helping to retain the natural glow of the skin. Cucumber also enables the skin to stay moisturized, eventually getting rid of the scarring that results from acne.
- Clean two cucumbers and place in the juice extractor to get fresh juice.
- Use this juice to clean the skin on the back. Regular use of cucumber juice, at least once daily, goes a long way on getting rid of acne scars.
- You may also blend the cucumbers to get cucumber paste which you will use in the same procedure as outlined above.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: 3 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon spice, and warm water in a bowl.
Honey is an incredible remedy used in different remedies to help keep infections at bay. When used to treat back acne, the honey not only smoothens the skin, it also gets rid of dead skin cells which may have accumulated on the skin. This excellent synergistic action works wonders for many suffering from acne. The addition of cinnamon contributes to the efficiency of the remedy, while improving blood circulation to the affected skin. The best way to benefit from this remedy is to use it regularly.
- Prepare the paste to apply on your skin by mixing the honey and the cinnamon until the two ingredients are well-blended.
- Apply the paste on your back. Depending on your time of application, you can always use the remedy at bedtime. This has the advantage of working overnight so that the whiteheads are dealt with adequately.
- Rinse off the paste when you wake up in the morning. Use this remedy regularly, at least thrice weekly. Honey makes for a great addition to your normal skin care routine.
Time Required: 20 Min
What You Need: A fresh tomato and cold water to rinse.
Tomato is an excellent product for anyone who has back acne. This amazing fruit is packed with antioxidants that help get rid of the marks on your back. Tomatoes also have skin lightening properties that come in handy for anyone who suffers from acne on the back. The combination of these properties makes tomato a handy and affordable way to deal with acne on the back.
- Pick a fresh ripe tomato, preferably one that is firm to touch. Wash it and cut it into half.
- Using a mirror, rub each of the half cut lemons on the part of the back where the acne is present. Do this in firm yet gentle motions to enhance the absorption of the tomato’s nutrients,
- Let the pulp-like substance stay on your back for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water. You could also incorporate this remedy into your bath time to make rinsing easy.
Other remedies ideal for the home treatment of back ache include toothpaste which dries the acne breakout, oatmeal which works by sponging out the excess oil as well as good old baking soda which works as an excellent exfoliant.
Garlic is also an effective remedy for the treatment of acne on the back. Its antimicrobial properties, coupled with its skin lightening properties go a long way in making getting rid of the pimples associated with this form of acne. Garlic can be used topically or ingested. Remember to maintain proper skin hygiene too if you want to effectively deal with back acne.