Turmeric is perhaps, one of the most popular spices in the culinary world, and for good reason. Its earthy taste and numerous health benefits add to its versatility, making it one of the best additions to an array of dishes. The herb’s antioxidant, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties make it an ideal home remedy.
But, did you know that you can add turmeric to your beauty routine in order to tap into these benefits? so good is this herb that in ancient times, brides from the Indian community would apply their whole bodies with turmeric paste for unrivaled skin glow on the big day – and who does not want youthful glowing skin?
One of the best advantages of incorporating turmeric in your beauty routine is that it is both affordable and easy to use. Below are some of the amazing benefits of this herb, alongside the specific reasons why the remedy works.
1. Facial Mask for The Management of Oily Skin:
People with extremely oily skin will usually struggle to find an appropriate home remedy that will help manage the production of oil. Left untreated, extremely oily skin becomes predisposed to breakouts and unsightly marks that easily dent one’s self esteem.
Turmeric comes in handy because it helps with the regulation of sebum production. Sebum is an oily substance that comes from the sebaceous glands located beneath the skin surface. Its purpose is to moisturize the skin while preventing it from drying out.
In excess amounts however, this poses a big problem. By adding turmeric to your beauty routine, you are able to help control the excess production of oil. Other additions that make the herb more effective include orange juice which is rich in Vitamin C that clears marks on the skin as well as sandalwood that is astringent in nature.
How to Use:
- Prepare the turmeric paste by mixing the following ingredients: 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 3 teaspoons of sandalwood powder and 6 teaspoons of orange juice (preferably freshly made).
- Once the paste is ready, apply a generous layer on your face and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Once the time elapses, rinse the face with warm water.
2. Natural Treatment of Mild Burns:
As mentioned above, one of the reasons why turmeric powder is a great addition to your beauty routine is because of its antiseptic properties. Nowhere else does this come in more handy than the natural treatment of burns.
When applied topically, the herb’s healing properties speed up the recovery process and help the skin recover faster. This is particularly helpful because it helps keep infections at bay. Add freshly sourced aloe vera gel to the turmeric powder to tap into its healing goodness.
How to Use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a tablespoon of freshly sourced aloe vera gel and mix well prior to application. Note that the amount of the ingredients you use will largely be dependent on the size of the mild burns.
- Apply a thick layer of the paste on the affected skin and leave on for about half an hour.
- You may cover the skin with gauze to prevent the paste from falling off and leave it on.
- Alternatively, rinse off the paste and apply prescribed medication on the burnt skin.
NOTE: This remedy is recommended for mild burns. Serious burns require medical attention, in which case your doctor will guide you on the use of home remedies as an adjunct form of treatment.
3. Acne Treatment:
Turmeric has long been used to treat different types of conditions on the skin, among them, acne, Its antiseptic and antibacterial healing properties not only prevent infections within the pimples, they also reduce the occurrence of breakouts.
This is an important aspect of the beauty routine because pimples often develop when the skin pores are clogged with dirt and bacteria. By fighting off infection-causing bacteria, the turmeric is able to work effectively in treating acne the natural way. Sandalwood is added for its excellent astringent properties while lemon juice is added as a base.
How to Use:
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric and sandalwood powder until you have a homogenous mixture.
- Proceed to add the lemon juice to the powdered mixture and stir to create a consistent paste.
- Apply the paste on the face and massage in circular motion, doing so as gently as you can to avid aggravating the breakouts.
- Leave the paste on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the skin using warm water and apply an appropriate skin moisturizer.
4. Treatment of Scalp Conditions:
Turmeric is an effective remedy for the natural treatment of scalp conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. These conditions are often accompanied by extreme itchiness, dry flaky skin and inflammation that causes great discomfort.
Fungal infections have also been shown to lead to such conditions. One of the ways in which you can treat these conditions naturally is to use turmeric. The active ingredient present in turmeric is known as curcumin.
Curcumin is a potent anti-fungal and its antibacterial and antiseptic properties add to its healing benefits when used for the treatment of scalp conditions. Add turmeric to your beauty routine to help maintain a healthy scalp. You will need some olive oil for the preparation of this turmeric remedy.
How to Use:
- Place 1 tablespoon of the turmeric powder in a shallow bowl and add some olive oil. The amount you need to prepare will vary from one person to another.
- Apply a generous amount of the mixture on the scalp and leave on for some 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the mixture using your preferred shampoo.
- Add this procedure to your weekly beauty routine to treat scalp conditions and get relief from the accompanying discomfort.
5. Natural Dye:
Turmeric is easily identified by its intense yellow colour, and this is the very property that is required for its use as a natural hair dye. Looking for a way to brighten your hair colour without going for commercially available options?
Then look no further than turmeric. To get the most out of this remedy, you may combine it with a range of other herbs whose deep yellow colour compliments the functions of the turmeric herb. Additional herbs for this simple routine include calendula and saffron. Prepare the natural turmeric dye by following the simple procedures below.
How to Use:
- You will need the dried herbs of the turmeric, calendula and saffron for the preparation of this dye. Since the mixture has a deep intense hue, you want to make sure you use a pair of gloves to prevent staining. You may also need dark-coloured towels for the same reason.
- Boil the herbal mixture for some 20 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let the mixture col down and then pour it over the hair.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off in order to get your hair dyed.
- Depending on the texture of your hair, you may need to repeat this procedure severally in order to get the dye intensity that you need.
6. Face Mask for Dry Skin:
Turmeric is an incredibly amazing home remedy for the skin. In addition to oily skin, the herb is also ideal for dry skin. Its healing properties, when added to natural products that allow for skin to remain moisturized, make a great combination for those with dry skin.
All you need to add to this beauty routine is raw honey whose humectant properties seal in moisture and prevent the skin from drying up. Greek yogurt also helps maintain the skin’s supple texture, and is perfect for those with dry skin type.
How to Use:
- Warm a spoon of raw organic honey for it to mix evenly with the rest of the ingredients used for this remedy.
- Mix the warm honey with the turmeric and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt.
- Apply the mask to your face using gloved fingers and rub in gentle motions. You may want to cover your hair with a shower cap in order to prevent staining.
- Allow the mask to dry for half an hour, at which point you will feel it hardened on the skin.
- Rinse the mask off using warm water and follow up with the application of an ideal skin moisturizer.
- Use this remedy at least twice weekly to manage dry skin.
7. Anti-Aging Mask:
Turmeric is an easy remedy to incorporate in your beauty routine if you are looking for simple ways to slow down the skin’s aging process. This is because the herb is packed with antioxidants that not only prevent skin damage at the cellular level, but help fight off factors that encourage aging.
Another benefit of using turmeric in this regard is that it helps to get rid of dead skin cells through the process of exfoliation. When the top layer of the skin’s dead cells are eliminated, the skin reveals a youthful looking glow that consists of newer cells, and this is known to slow down the process of aging.
Below are the simple ways in which you can use turmeric to prepare an anti-aging mask. You will need equal amounts of gram flour and turmeric powder alongside natural yogurt or milk.
How to Use:
- Mix equal amounts of the turmeric powder with the gram flour until you have a homogenous mixture.
- Add water/ natural yogurt/ milk to the powder mixture and stir until you have a coarse paste that you can apply topically without it running off.
- Apply the turmeric mixture paste on the body, all the while scrubbing in gentle motion.
- Leave the paste on for about 10 minutes and then rinse off using warm water.
- Use this mixture at least twice weekly to get the best of turmeric in anti-aging skin treatments.
8. Control of Facial Hair:
Turmeric has been shown to control the growth of facial hair, especially in women. The topical application of this remedy is known to inhibit the growth of this facial hair. The catch in this, however, is to be consistent if any progress has to be made.
Regular use of the herb eventually stops the facial hair from regrowing. Note however, that results differ from one person to another depending on the thickness and type of hair. For this, you will need 1 tablespoon of gram flour and 1/4 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
Hot to Use:
- Mix the turmeric powder with the gram flour before adding some water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the face, with special focus on the areas with facial hair.
- Leave the paste on for up to 20 minutes.
- Just before rinsing, rub the skin in circular motion. The purpose of scrubbing this way is to get rid of the fine facial hairs, effectively getting rid of them. Take care however, not to over scrub as this could make the skin very sensitive.
- Use this remedy at least twice weekly for those with dry skin, and four times for those with oily skin.
Other benefits of using turmeric in your beauty routine include its ability to improve skin elasticity, healing cracked heels, lightening stretch marks as well as preventing different types of skin cancer.The latter however, is still undergoing research to establish its success rates as well as to help skin cancer patients. It is evident that turmeric is not only great for your palate, it also has excellent benefits for your hair and skin.