Beautiful skin is the result of many factors, chief among them, a healthy diet as well as a proper skin care routine. One of the most fascinating things is that no matter how much you take care of your skin, if you fail to take care of your body from the inside, that radiant skin may prove elusive. Healthy glowing skin is just about every one’s dream.
If you want to get such skin, it is important that you take care of your skin, using both skin care products and taking the right foods and fruits. Listed below are the top five fruits that are beneficial for healthy glowing skin. Each of the fruits has excellent properties that make it a healthy way to pamper and take care of your skin.
Watermelon is one of the most succulent fruits available. This is, in fact, part of the reason it is an excellent option for healthy beautiful skin. It is perhaps, best known as a cool summer fruit, thanks to its high concentration of water.
It is important to note that watermelon contains 92% of water, a factor that accounts for its benefits. Watermelon is also rich in lycopene which helps to break down fats in the blood, thus enhancing their absorption. Regular intake of watermelon helps prevent skin breakouts alongside the benefits listed below.
- Watermelon is rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals. Free radicals cause skin damage by attacking the structural makeup of the skin and interfering with the synthesis of new cells. These radicals also contribute to sun burns and freckles, both of which leave marks on the skin. Eat this fruit to help counter the effect of the free radicals.
- The high water content in watermelon helps the skin remain hydrated throughout the day. Hydrated skin is less prone to drying and scale-formation, which certainly contributes to its beauty. This is the reason watermelon is recommended during summer when the sweltering heat zaps moisture from the skin.
- Watermelons, as mentioned above, have a high concentration of lycopene. According to research studies, lycopene has been shown to have benefits in reducing the risk of cancer that affects the skin. This also contributes to the fruit’s ability to reduce UV-induced skin damage following overexposure to the sun’s rays.
- The recommended intake of watermelon is at least one serving on a daily basis if you would like to get rid of dull, dry skin.
There is a good reason why the old adage says, ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’. As one of the most fibrous fruits available, apple is an excellent fruit for beautiful skin.
It is also rich in nutrients that help keep the skin healthy and free of breakouts. Below are some of the great benefits of taking the apple fruit to keep your skin youthful and glowing.
– As mentioned above, apple is very rich in fiber and therefore allows ‘things to get moving’ in the digestive system.
This is important because in the absence of fiber, waste material accumulates in the intestines and allows toxins to be reabsorbed into the bloodstream.
When this happens, the skin’s pores are clogged with ease, making it more likely to get breakouts. By bulking up stool and allowing its easy elimination, the body is able to detoxify easily.
The cleansing of the bowels is directly related to the skin’s radiance, so eat your way to beautiful skin by taking an apple daily.
- On the nutritional front, apples are rich in Vitamins A and C as well as flavanoids. This fruit also has trace amounts of calcium, iron and phosphorous.
- The vitamins are required for the synthesis of skin cells as well as their optimal function. The trace elements are also integral for healthy skin.
- To enjoy the benefits of apple fruit, take at least one apple daily. Regular intake of apple is one of the easy ways to get beautiful skin.
Pomegranate is a red coloured seedy fruit with amazing benefits for the skin. This colourful fruit is not only packed with nutrients, it is also a great source of juice that has great benefits for the skin.
Below are some of the main reasons why you should add pomegranate to your daily diet if you would like to get youthful skin.
- Pomegranate is rich in antioxidants which help get rid of free radicals found on the surface of the skin. Free radicals cause damage to the skin, and predispose it to quick aging and wrinkle formation. By taking pomegranate, you are able to prevent skin damage that results from the free radicals.
- This fruit is also rich in omega-3 fatty acid. This is one of the most potent active ingredients because it aids in the process of skin regeneration. As a result, it helps the skin recover especially in cases where one has scars, cuts or wounds.
- The fruit’s red colour has also been linked to the increased production of red blood cells in circulation. This improves the functioning of the circulatory system, thus allowing the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the skin cells. The end result is healthy beautiful skin.
- Just like apples, pomegranates are also nutrient dense and contain high amounts of vitamins A, C and E in addition to potassium, iron, folic and calcium. All of these provide the skin with much-needed nourishment for proper maintenance and regeneration.
- Pomegranate’s succulence helps with skin moisturization too, and this makes it ideal for people with dry skin. Its soothing properties go a long way in providing relief from irritated skin.
- As far as the structural makeup of the skin is concerned, pomegranates play a very integral role. This is because they increase the longevity of a group of cells known as fibroblasts.
Fibroblasts are the cells that are tasked with the synthesis of collagen and elastin, two important proteins that make up the skin. The two help tighten the skin and maintain its integrity, thus preventing sagging and the formation of wrinkles.
- Take at least one serving of pomegranate daily to enjoy its numerous skin benefits.
Pawpaw is an all seasonal fruit that is packed with fruity goodness for your skin. Below are some of the advantages of eating pawpaw and its amazing benefits for the skin.
- Pawpaw is rich in Vitamin A that aids in the biosynthetic process of skin cell regeneration. This is an important aspect for healthy skin as regeneration allows for the removal of dead skin cells and the revealing of new cells that give the skin its glow.
- Pawpaw also has a high concentration of carotene. This is a type of antioxidant that is immensely beneficial if you would like beautiful skin. As mentioned above, antioxidants counter the effect of free radicals that destroy the structural makeup of the skin.
- This fruit has natural enzymes, most notably papain, that enhance digestion and allow for the optimal absorption of nutrients from the gut. Additionally, the enzymes also assist liver function. Part of the liver’s job is to allow for fat metabolism. When it functions optimally, there is less fat malabsorption thus reducing acne breakouts and pimple formation on the skin.
- Pawpaw is also a natural exfoliator, so you can be certain that it will leave your skin supple and healthy.
5. Citrus Fruits and Berries:
For anyone who desires beautiful skin, nothing compares to increasing your daily intake of berries and citrus fruits. Both families of fruits are packed with vitamins that are great for the skin.
Examples of citrus fruits include lemons, limes, tangerines and oranges. Berries on the other hand include strawberries, cranberries and blueberries among others.
- Citrus fruits are best known for their high concentration of Vitamin C. Vitamin c is known for its immune boosting properties that help clear infections on the skin and allow for quick recovery. This works well for people who are prone to breakouts on the skin, thus preventing infections within the skin pores.
- Fruits in the citrus family are also known for their natural bleaching properties that go a long way in lightening the skin naturally. This is beneficial for anyone who struggles with skin blemishes and dark spots on the skin.
- Lemon is one of the most popular citrus fruits whose many benefits make it a must-use for healthy skin. Take advantage of its skin cleansing properties by taking a glass of water to which some honey and the juice of one lemon have been added. Do this every morning immediately after waking up and drink your way to glowing skin.
- Berries are rich in antioxidants that rejuvenate the skin by fighting off free radicals. This prevents damage at both the cellular and tissue level, effectively slowing down the aging process. Add berries to your daily diet for great skin.
In addition to the fruits mentioned above, it also helps to increase your intake of fresh vegetables. The high fiber content enhances the process of digestion, and this helps clear the skin by preventing the buildup of toxins in the skin.
Remember, good nutrition, that is a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, is key to healthy skin. This is complimented by proper skin care routines and products to ensure your skin remains healthy and beautiful.
NOTE: That if you have any pre-existing conditions, it is advisable to seek medical attention from a qualified dermatologist in order to chart the way forward. Avoid any fruits and foods that you may be allergic to.